Emerging Spine Technology Summit...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^^^^^

I'm just back from Telluride, CO. This meeting was awesome. Dr. Joel Press gave an impressive keynote address lifting the image of physiatrists :thumbup: The best part of this spine education summit was combined surgical/nonsurgical programs and also exclusive programs for physiatrists and spine surgeons. Programs were scheduled like 7.30 AM to 10.30 AM with SKI-TIME interval for 5 hours and then program resumed at 4PM until 7.30 PM. It was mix of fun and education. Some spine surgical topics were very educative. Excellent weather.
Rating: 5 star.
I will definitely go again next year if they offer new speakers and new topics.

Members don't see this ad :)
algosdoc said:
What kind of topics were covered? Sounds interested...even to a non-physiatrist...

For a beginner like me...everything was interesting...like a kid in candy shop! :D . I only attended a couple of surgical sessions sitting between some top spine surgeons in the country. At that time i also dreamt of becoming a spine surgeon in next life :laugh: (rolling in $$$$$). Some interesting topics to me were...x-stop technology, complications of spinal surgery and minimal invasive technology ( nucleoplasty). Christopher Yeung from arizona talked about future percutaneous lumbar fusion using innovative instruments. Otherwise, bread and butter PMR topics. Discussion about sacroiliac complex was interesting to me. I definitely learnt a couple of things after changing 6 united airplanes in this whole trip. It was a good feeling rubbing shoulders with spine surgeons. :cool:

Kewl! Even if fusion surgery results in an average of only 30% pain relief, it is good to know about their complications that we are left treating thereafter...lol. Because of spine surgeons, chronic pain management forever will have job security, so we don't want them to go away...
I know a guy doing endoscopic fusion in the US in an ASC....interesting...and it isn't Tony or Chris Yeung....

Yup.....s/p lumbar fusion are usually lifelong patients, or end up being so after that first year of being pain free.

T

Algos,

What's your impression of Tony & Chris? I thought they are doing some cool stuff.

Tony was my mentor many years ago and did teach me some skills I would never have acquired otherwise. But just as other nociceptive models, the long term positive results are achieved primarily in the realm of compressive disc herniations with positive neurological correlates for radiculopathy, not simply radicular pain. Other pathologies are treated with much less success rates. I am watching Tony's work however, and have acquired the skills to move forward with endoscopic artificial nucleus implants or other endoscopic treatments whenever they become available in the US. Tony is a very very smart and very very controversial guy, and he is well aware of both attributes.