EMG elective during Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slrks314

Reaction score
I'm going into epilepsy fellowship.

Would it be a good idea to spend as much time as possible in the EMG lab for my remaining elective blocks in residency so I can use that as a marketable skill for post-residency jobs, or would that amount of time not be sufficient to learn how to learn to do and interpret basic EMGs? Furthermore, would employers not value that experience since I will not be graduating from a neurophysiology fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going into epilepsy fellowship.

Would it be a good idea to spend as much time as possible in the EMG lab for my remaining elective blocks in residency so I can use that as a marketable skill for post-residency jobs, or would that amount of time not be sufficient to learn how to learn to do and interpret basic EMGs? Furthermore, would employers not value that experience since I will not be graduating from a neurophysiology fellowship?
How many months are you thinking you would have for dedicated time?

I cant imagine your program giving you elective time in non epilepsy subspecialty. And wouldn't expect more than a month anyway in non epilepsy training. That said, 1 month would not make you comfortable with EMGs. I'm 6 months into neuromuscular fellowship and JUST NOW starting to get comfortable.

Reactions: 1 user
Really takes bare minimum 6 months full time EMG experience to have any basic comfort level with EMG. Plenty of people do 'fly-by-night quality' EMGs, but that doesn't mean you want to be one of them. 1-3 months strung together is not enough. This again is why balanced CNP fellowships are better for the average non-academic bound neurologist...

Reactions: 1 user