handheld EMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-Sojourner-

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I am looking to purchase handheld EMG for doing Botox for spasticity.

Does anyone have any tips on where to start? Any information on vendors and the recommended machine type, as well as any ballpark cost would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've used both Dantec and Myoguide. Both suck for different reasons. Dantec likes to spontaneously turn off in the middle of a procedure or not turn on in the first place unpredictably. Myoguide is reliable, but there's a weird 0.5 second or so lag in hearing sound, which doesn't sound like much but can really impact your ability to find certain muscles reliably. I would advise you to see if you can try any of the systems you want to purchase through your vendor before you commit to buying.

I've used both Dantec and Myoguide. Both suck for different reasons. Dantec likes to spontaneously turn off in the middle of a procedure or not turn on in the first place unpredictably. Myoguide is reliable, but there's a weird 0.5 second or so lag in hearing sound, which doesn't sound like much but can really impact your ability to find certain muscles reliably. I would advise you to see if you can try any of the systems you want to purchase through your vendor before you commit to buying.
I've had the privilege of only using a full EMG machine. Those really sound painful- a delay even moreso.

Members don't see this ad :)
Running around a botox clinic with a full EMG machine isn't very practical. I know people that do EMG-guided injections in 3 departments and several sections within our department at my institution and nobody uses that for injections. You're just listening for insertional activity and confirming motor units on specific muscle activation - nothing requiring much EMG expertise.

Running around a botox clinic with a full EMG machine isn't very practical. I know people that do EMG-guided injections in 3 departments and several sections within our department at my institution and nobody uses that for injections. You're just listening for insertional activity and confirming motor units on specific muscle activation - nothing requiring much EMG expertise.
We have multiple rooms with machines available for botox days so that eliminates that issue. With a small private practice this won't be possible obviously.