Emory MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

old macdonald

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone either accepted at Emory for MSTP or currently a student...what are your thoughts on the program and school? I would ask about the Thrashers as well, but with the hockey season on hold...it's a moot point.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

spend some time in atlanta to see if you want to live there. a lot of the students i happened to meet while there seemed to be spending 8+ years there to finish.

I definitely got to see a good portion of Atlanta during my interview there. The concern about getting students out in less than 8 years is a valid one. I was told that students who go through the Immuno program there are able to finish the graduate portion of their education within 3 years, so I suppose it depends on the department.

Members don't see this ad :)
old macdonald said:
I definitely got to see a good portion of Atlanta during my interview there. The concern about getting students out in less than 8 years is a valid one. I was told that students who go through the Immuno program there are able to finish the graduate portion of their education within 3 years, so I suppose it depends on the department.

Were you at Emory last week?

ninebillion said:
Were you at Emory last week?

You know it! Fantastic school and great resources...plus the students all seemed to be satisfied with their education experience thus far.

old macdonald said:
You know it! Fantastic school and great resources...plus the students all seemed to be satisfied with their education experience thus far.

Haha, I was there too... Check your PM.

ninebillion said:
Haha, I was there too... Check your PM.

I was there too...saw that you got accepted ninebillion...congrats...I got waitlisted...bummer, but still hopin.

Emory is high on my list.

Take it easy

Hey,

I am a new student in Emory's MD/PhD program and am very glad I chose their program. I got my masters at Emory (hey skanjil, how's it going :) ) and continue to be impressed with how the school recruits people who are very smart but very friendly, and fosters independence and creativity. As for how long a PhD will take, I think (as with any school) it will depend upon the department but also the mentor you choose. There are some folks who will be more committed to getting you out fast, others who may not. I have to think that's the same anywhere.

Atlanta is a very unique place. I love it, and it is a very comfortable, fun town. It grows on you with time because it is laid out in discrete neighborhoods, each of which have their own feel.

Anway, you guys probably have picked up on some of this, you've been to visit. I think the main draw for me (and I interviewed a bunch of places to get a feel for what was out there) was that Emory MD/PhD students are, by and large, happy and excited about their research options. I like the trust that they have placed in me and and the freedom and independence I have to seek out projects (at CDC, outside Atlanta, in other departments, etc.)

Happy to answer any questions.