EMT-B/1 Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subtle1epiphany

Junior Faculty
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am enrolled in an EMT training course that starts in about three weeks. I'm really excited to start and it's about a month long (accelerated I guess). I'm assuming that it's likely preparing me for an EMT-B or EMT-1 certification, but I am wondering what I'll be able to do with such a certification. Don't you have to be a paramedic to be part of an ambulance team? I really would like to spend this year working as an EMT, but what sort of jobs would be available with such a certification?

Also, if I head back east soon after the course, what would I have to do so that I was certified in that area? Just re-certify or take the certification exam in that state/area?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on your local. The area I live in all the ambulance services are EMT-B or IV tech(wisconsin). Some urban areas have private services that primarily do inter facility transfers and don't generally run 10-33(emergency). They are generally run by basics. The ER techs in our hospitals are emt-b's. Your instructor should beable to tell you what the various levels of service are in your area.

Tom
FF/EMT-B IVtech

Every ambulance that I've ever been on has 1 paramedic & 1 EMT. The EMT mostly drives unless the patient doesn't require ALS. All of the EMS companies I've worked for are always hiring EMT's.

A private ambulance service & volunteer ambulance service will always take EMT's. In some cases, full-time paid fire departments only have paramedics, however, you can still be an EMT on the engine or other fire apparatus. This is true for Texas, at least.

Here are the types of ambulances found in Texas.

1. 2 Paramedics (MICU Truck)
2. EMT-Basic (or EMT-Intermediate) & Paramedic (MICU Truck)
3. EMT-Basic (or EMT-Intermediate) & EMT-Intermediate (ALS Truck)
4. 2 EMT-Basics (BLS Truck)

Paid services always have MICU trucks for 911 calls. Volunteer services have ALS or MICU trucks for emergencies. BLS units are used by pay/volunteer services for transfers and non-emergency calls.