Ending M1 vent...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mcar11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welp, I am exhausted and feeling very insecure about my abilities right about now. I feel like this year has been so challenging just in terms of keeping up that I can’t even think straight. I think the worst part for me is trying to process it all and memorize it in such a short time. Btwn lectures, first aid, BB, Pathoma, all just for one subject, I find myself in this utter state of paralysis.

Logically, I know a lot of students feel this way, but at times, I wonder if it is my age lol. I’m in my late 30’s and I think “Am I slowing down this much!?” How are students able to memorize this stuff AND comprehend it in just 2 days?????

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Less study material. Choose one or two MAX. And ALWAYS exercise, it is soooooo key. Sleep too.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with futuremd. Odds are that you are trying to take on too much study-wise. You're better off picking one or two good resources and knowing them well than scattering yourself among half a dozen things and not really learning any of them. Ditto for next year when you start studying for Step 1.

Reactions: 3 users
Welp, I am exhausted and feeling very insecure about my abilities right about now. I feel like this year has been so challenging just in terms of keeping up that I can’t even think straight. I think the worst part for me is trying to process it all and memorize it in such a short time. Btwn lectures, first aid, BB, Pathoma, all just for one subject, I find myself in this utter state of paralysis.

Logically, I know a lot of students feel this way, but at times, I wonder if it is my age lol. I’m in my late 30’s and I think “Am I slowing down this much!?” How are students able to memorize this stuff AND comprehend it in just 2 days?????
Thought I'd chime in since I just finished my pre-clinicals/Step 1 and am also in my late 30s. I don't feel like I'm slowing down, at least not mentally. I may be slightly behind some of them physically, but that's partially my fault for eschewing the gym during stressful periods.

First thing, Goro is absolutely right. You have to exercise, keep your head clear, and keep in shape for clinicals. While those 25 year olds will wake up feeling virile and fresh after a night out drinking, you might not after a good night of sleep. It's just as important to exercise your body as your mind, and they will both feed into each other.

Second is absolutely pick 2 or 3 resources for your main studying goals. What you pick is sort of dependent on the school and the professor. For example, most of my lectures could be supplanted with B&B, Zanki, and/or Pathoma. However, when it came to Neuro, our professors lectures and material went far, FAR beyond what was expected for Step 1. Most prep materials didn't cover everything that was on his lectures, so you could fail his test and still do well on Step. This is one of the issues as a result of a shortened schedule and since we're the first class to go through it, we're the guinea pigs. Fun.

Personally, I wish I had discovered Zanki earlier and started going through it at least the summer before M2 just to keep M1 things fresh in my mind. B&B is fantastic for breaking down hard concepts, pathways, and basically just bottom lining it for you. Pathoma is also good but I feel like it might not cover quite as much detail as necessary. Sketchy is great for memorizing diseases, drugs, etc, but you really have to commit to it because they use themes that connect between each video. Start early so that you have plenty of time for repeats.

Other than that, just realize that most people are struggling regardless of how carefree they look. I never show my stress in public but immuno in M1 kicked my ass (along with everyone else). I was freaking out about Step hoping to get a high enough score after my practice tests came back lower than I wanted (I beat them significantly). Just keep chugging along and everything will fall into place.

Reactions: 1 users
Just breathe. Take care of yourself (eat proper diet, sleep as much as you can, exercise) and your brain will do the rest. I will validate what others have already said. Too many books. Smarter not harder. You are in the "starter phase" so time for you to whittle down what you know works, stop doing what you don't think does. You are maneuvering a proverbial study boat super fast down a narrow channel. You gotta bang off the sides every once in awhile until you find the right path.

I was 33 when I started med school. But you got this too!!! :woot:

Reactions: 2 users
This is how I feel as a nearly-30 nontrad finishing up my first year as well. I'm getting through it somehow, but I don't feel like I've actually learned much of anything all year. Keeping up is such a struggle. I'm terrified of getting through years 1 and 2 only to fail Step 1 because I never actually retained anything. I'm currently on spring break studying while my classmates are out partying and laying on the beach, in hopes of maybe being able to keep on top of the material a bit better this module. It's rough, but it's pretty incredible that we've gotten this far. I still find it hard to believe I'm a medical student after it took so many years of feeling like I'd never get here. Just gotta keep telling myself that if I found a way to make it this far, I'll find a way to make it all the way. :)

Reactions: 1 user
t/j - how are you? hadn't seen you around in a bit; hope all is well!
I'm good. I'm still lurking here but not posting as much since I'm really not the best person to answer a lot of premed questions any more. But, even at my stage of the game, I still have to study for and take board exams, so I definitely can give some advice on that. ;)

Reactions: 1 users