endocrine/nuclear medicine--IMHOTEP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thryoid uptake

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
IMHOTEP-- Is the combination of Endocrine and Nuclear Medicine a good combo? I am interested in treating thyroid cancer and hyperthyroidism. My understanding is nuclear is also useful for bony pain, parathyroid diseases, and other neuroendocrine problems. Would the extra 2 years be worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess IMHOTEP is no longer on the board. It seems like an okay fit. Nuclear medicine would allow thyroid ablation/treatment for Graves and thyroid cancer. You could also screen for heart disease in the diabetic patients with nuclear stress tests. Some other things would probably be possible.

Sorry, I have been away from this forum for awhile...

Are two additional years worth it? Not an easy question. My suggestion is to try and contact a few nuclear medicine programs and ask them whether you can do a one year " nuclear neuroendocrine" fellowship. While no such accredited training program exists currently, you might get lucky. A shrewd program director may want to utilize your clinical skills in exchage to training you in therapeutic nuclear medicine.