Engineering with No Upper-Level Bio Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted316655

Hey Everyone!

I'm majoring in engineering right now, but plan on attending med school. My major requires orgo/physics/chem/calc but not bio. I'm planning on taking bio I and II, but I don't have room in my curriculum to take any other upper-level bio classes. I was wondering if, as an engineer who is taking upper level chem and (obviously) engineering classes, would this be okay? Or is it better to somehow take some upper-level classes?

Also, I was thinking of possibly placing out of Bio by taking the CLEP exam and then not take any other bio classes. Would this be a really bad idea? Would it better if I were to CLEP out of Bio and then take a couple of upper-level classes?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone!

I'm majoring in engineering right now, but plan on attending med school. My major requires orgo/physics/chem/calc but not bio. I'm planning on taking bio I and II, but I don't have room in my curriculum to take any other upper-level bio classes. I was wondering if, as an engineer who is taking upper level chem and (obviously) engineering classes, would this be okay? Or is it better to somehow take some upper-level classes?

Also, I was thinking of possibly placing out of Bio by taking the CLEP exam and then not take any other bio classes. Would this be a really bad idea? Would it better if I were to CLEP out of Bio and then take a couple of upper-level classes?

Thanks in advance!

You have to take the classes that the schools you apply to require. Take Hopkins' requirements as an example of a typical medical school. Nobody requires that you take upper-level biology classes. Your major does not matter for MD/DO admissions so long as you complete the required pre-medical coursework.

I don't know about the CLEP opt-out. This might vary by school, so tread lightly. Maybe wait for advice from others on SDN.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't need upper level bio. I wouldn't CLEP out of anything for two reasons. First, some schools may not recognize this. Second, first year bio classes are probably much easier than your upper level engineering and could probably help your GPA.