Enrollment Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmugele

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find enrollment statistics for non-traditional students? Which schools have higher percentages? Which are more friendly to married students with kids? That kind of thing?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

There have been several posts about this; the general consensus people had was that no schools (supposedly!) discriminate against older applicants if their statistics are up to par, but only a few schools specifically solicit them. From my research, it seems to me that Creighton and Drexel are especially interested in having older students apply. Both of them explicitly state that they believe that having nontraditional students in their schools adds to the diversity and experience for all.

Here is what the MSAR for Creighton says: "Creighton University values diversity in its medical classes. Not only is ethnic diversity encouraged, but Creighton considers the nontraditional applicant to be a positive influence on the school and its students."

For Drexel: "Coeducational since 1969, the college continues to live up to its rich history, actively seeking students with diverse backgrounds and experiences."

Drexel used to be a woman's medical college (at least part of it did), so they also give special encouragement to female applicants, along with ethnic minorities, people from rural areas, and people interested in primary care.

Hope this helps!

Drexel used to be a woman's medical college (at least part of it did), so they also give special encouragement to female applicants, along with ethnic minorities, people from rural areas, and people interested in primary care.

Hope this helps!

Great, thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
QofQuimica said:
From my research, it seems to me that Creighton and Drexel are especially interested in having older students apply.
Other schools on the east coast that are friendly toward older applications include Albany College of Medicine, New York Medical College, George Washington University School of Medicine, and Eastern Virginia Medical School.

jmugele said:
Does anyone know where I can find enrollment statistics for non-traditional students? Which schools have higher percentages? Which are more friendly to married students with kids? That kind of thing?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
I do not believe than any school will reject you just because of your age if you have a competitive application. I was well over the age of 40 (back in 1997)when I applied to medical school, had a pretty good application and got into the six schools that I applied to (I was even an out of state applicant for one). Some schools have more older students but you can't really use that statistic to judge whether a school is non-trad friendly or not. If you have an interest in a particular school and you have presented a competitive application, you are probably going to get in.

At all schools, the number of non-traditional applicants has increased and the numbers of non-traditional students has increased. Much of this has to do with people changing careers or moving into a second career. This is the up-side. The down-side is that you just can't consider yourself unusual just because you are older and you have to have solid credentials.

Any lists of schools is pretty useless at this point. It only takes the enrollment of one non-traditional student and no schools outright discriminate because of age. You should look for schools that have programs in place that support students with families and households. It really helps to have insurance plans available that can cover your family or employment opportunities for your spouse as you are slugging away with classwork.

njbmd :thumbup:

Even if you disregard bias in interviewing/accepting, or assume that it never happens, there are serious differences in the way schools treat students with families. Penn State is incredibly family-friendly (i.e. on campus housing, preference in 3rd year schedules, flexible scheduling for family planning/child care issues (including ease of semester/year off options for new parents), etc.. Oh, and a fabulous school district right down the street. I have heard similar comments from spouses at most of the Osteopathic schools, Iowa and Ann Arbor. Others may have discussed this on the Spouses/Partners forum....a search might be worthwhile.
By comparison, I've heard other nightmare scenarios where absolutely no support is given and students with children are made to feel, um, less than welcome, including pregnant students who feel forced to quit/transfer and absolutely no flexibility in scheduling. Not that I think "flexibility" should mean special treatment, but if you have to pick up your child at childcare by 6 pm, there is no reason a clinical diagnostic module has to be done from 6-7 pm. Get my drift?

I have never heard of such blatant unfriendliness to non-trads with families at any of the schools I interviewed at...again if you are competitive you should be fine at most schools...