EPPP Pass Rates By Doctoral Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyHalcyon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am unable to locate the PDF containing the eppp pass rates of all doctoral programs. The ASPPB site only has 2016. I was able to find the 2017 pdf on the web, but none after. Am I blind or are they not publishing this data anymore? I have contacted ASPPB, but have yet to hear back.

Members don't see this ad.

I am unable to locate the PDF containing the eppp pass rates of all doctoral programs. The ASPPB site only has 2016. I was able to find the 2017 pdf on the web, but none after. Am I blind or are they not publishing this data anymore? I have contacted ASPPB, but have yet to hear back.
I've not been able to find anything past 2017, either. Maybe they're doing it in multi-year chunks now...? Contacting ASPPB seems like it was the best bet to find out what's going on.

As an aside, CA seems to keep their own stats, available here: Examination Statistics By School - California Board of Psychology

Spoiler: in just quickly browsing the most recent (2021) list, Alliant, Argosy, and the Chicago School did not do well. Other programs were all over in terms of percentages because of the tiny sample sizes.

Well they can't blame covid for the delay in having more up to date data available. And of course it is no surprise that low quality programs did not do well per CA data.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've not been able to find anything past 2017, either. Maybe they're doing it in multi-year chunks now...? Contacting ASPPB seems like it was the best bet to find out what's going on.

As an aside, CA seems to keep their own stats, available here: Examination Statistics By School - California Board of Psychology

Spoiler: in just quickly browsing the most recent (2021) list, Alliant, Argosy, and the Chicago School did not do well. Other programs were all over in terms of percentages because of the tiny sample sizes.
ASPPB responded that I should contact my state board for the information....

I missed part of their response. They also said this:

We plan to release an updated Doctoral Report (Psychology Licensing Exam Scores by Doctoral Program) by the end of March, including the current performance data. When the report is completed, it will be posted to our website at https://www.asppb.net/

Good news!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, they used to publish by year, and in the past they also had a decade aggregate, so you could see numbers over time in the small programs as well. The fact that CA is pretty much the only one that regularly publishes the data skews perception of how hard the test is as CA's pass rate is FAR below the national average as of last posting of that info.

Reactions: 1 user
In order to protect students, the APA should consider EPPP pass rates as an important outcome measure on which to base accreditation status. I doubt that it is at all considered nowadays.

Reactions: 2 users
In order to protect students, the APA should consider EPPP pass rates as an important outcome measure on which to base accreditation status. I doubt that it is at all considered nowadays.

The Alliant/Argosy/Albizu's have mostly been sitting in the 30-70% range for some time, the APA has never seemingly cared about pass rates for accreditation. It's actually pretty amazing that the overall pass rate is so high with these programs in the mix.

This isn't already happening?!?! What on earth are they actually doing then?

I wonder if the reason it's not tied to accreditation status is primarily related to not wanting to penalize programs producing lots of academically-oriented graduates...?

Although I suppose they could just link it to the passing rate of those who actually took the exam.

I wonder if the reason it's not tied to accreditation status is primarily related to not wanting to penalize programs producing lots of academically-oriented graduates...?

Although I suppose they could just link it to the passing rate of those who actually took the exam.

Yeah, it'd have to be a weird formula, and over time. Like if a more academically minded program only has 2 of it's 5 cohort in a year take the EPPP, and 1 failed their first time, it'd look terrible. Even over a 5 year span, that one would likely skew the % with 100% passing over a 5-10-year span. Vs. a 40+ mill cohort that turns in a 50-60% pass rate on a yearly basis at high volume.

I'm sympathetic to those stuck in a never ending loop of not passing this thing. Hell i even had a dream last week that i was tricked into going into some weird office building and low and behold I had to take the thing again (it was weird because they kept asking questions about physics though). That being said, every student I've met who has trouble with it went to a garbage program (and likely would never have been admitted to my program or similar). I "studied" for barely two weeks for that thing, looking over a few practice tests. The fact this is a gatekeeping device essentially on the back end, well...not too fair to those who likely sunk 300ishk into Rocket Mortgage School of Professional Psychology.

I'm sympathetic to those stuck in a never ending loop of not passing this thing. Hell i even had a dream last week that i was tricked into going into some weird office building and low and behold I had to take the thing again (it was weird because they kept asking questions about physics though). That being said, every student I've met who has trouble with it went to a garbage program (and likely would never have been admitted to my program or similar). I "studied" for barely two weeks for that thing, looking over a few practice tests. The fact this is a gatekeeping device essentially on the back end, well...not too fair to those who likely sunk 300ishk into Rocket Mortgage School of Professional Psychology.

To be fair, the part that most of the diploma millers are failing is the most objective part of the exam. They are absolutely tanking the research/statistics portion. Followed by the treatment/intervention portion. And, as a doctoral level provider, these are arguably the most important knowledge areas to be a competent clinician. If anything, we're not doing enough gatekeeping to keep people who don't know what they are doing and adopting pseudoscience in the field because they don't know how to actually read and evaluate research.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For what it's worth, I reached out to them looking for an updated one in Nov 2022 and was told they expected to have it out by December of 2022. I'm not sure I would bank on the estimated time but definitely agree it needs to be updated.

Not surprised by some of the PsyD programs. However some counseling and school psych have programs have really low pass rates. I am assuming that they are really not teaching to the licensing exam.

Thanks for posting!

This really needs to be a sortable Excel.

From a super quick look, the lowest rate that I saw was the following:
The Chicago Sch of Prof Psych‐LA Dept of Psych Clin.‐PsyD 139 19.42%

Also, it seems like rates are lower across the board including at some very repulatable funded PhDs that I would guess have typically been at 100% but now have a person or two who didn't pass the first time?

Thanks for posting!

This really needs to be a sortable Excel.

From a super quick look, the lowest rate that I saw was the following:
The Chicago Sch of Prof Psych‐LA Dept of Psych Clin.‐PsyD 139 19.42%

Also, it seems like rates are lower across the board including at some very repulatable funded PhDs that I would guess have typically been at 100% but now have a person or two who didn't pass the first time?

Looks like it dipped a few percentage points in the latter tables. 76.29% first time pass rate, which, honestly, is still pretty high. Especially given the sheer number of diploma mill programs and grads. Like when you have over a hundred Fielding people taking the test and failing more than half the time. CSPP as you said below 20% with 139 test takers. Alliant's usually sitting around 50% across their campuses. Defnitely a bimodal distribution.

What's the minimum pass rate we'd recommend for applicants? My own program fell into the 90s, which I assume is good.

Not surprised by some of the PsyD programs. However some counseling and school psych have programs have really low pass rates. I am assuming that they are really not teaching to the licensing exam.

Yes, this has been a notorious problem in counseling and school psych programs, but notably some of the better counseling psych programs (e.g., Maryland, Minnesota, Florida) are doing just fine.

My school has both a counseling and clinical program, and the clinical pass rate is MUCH higher. Quite interesting.

My school has both a counseling and clinical dept, and the clinical pass rate is MUCH higher. Quite interesting.

Tbh, same. Some people say that the EPPP doesn't really tailor enough to contextual factors, which are areas of emphasis in a lot of counseling programs. I think that's probably true, but if I had one overall critique of my own program, it would be that more time was spent criticizing psychology than actually learning it. Consequently, I took all of my psych core classes in the psych department and I think I was much better prepared as a result.

Last edited:
I just find it so depressing that the schools where students are unlikely to have any meaningful career options besides clinical work often have the lowest pass rate. If you come from a research-heavy school, you can almost certainly land a gig paying at least 60-70k (or more) as an entry-level data analyst or doing program evaluations or whatever else. If you come from CSPP...what other options do you have?

You'd think these schools with low pass rates would at least starting "teaching to the test"...

Reactions: 2 users
My school has both a counseling and clinical program, and the clinical pass rate is MUCH higher. Quite interesting.
I was counseling and our department has both programs. Our EPPP pass rates were both 100% (and have been similar in the past) but my counseling program skewed heavily towards having similar expectations in research and assessment as many clinical psych programs, which is not the norm.

Yeah, our counseling program was thought to not be as rigorous as the clinical program. Granted, I was in the clinical program so the people I heard this from obviously might have had a skewed perception, lol. We did share some classes, too, including ones that would have been covered a lot on the EPPP.

Yeah, our counseling program was thought to not be as rigorous as the clinical program. Granted, I was in the clinical program so the people I heard this from obviously might have had a skewed perception, lol. We did share some classes, too, including ones that would have been covered a lot on the EPPP.

Depending on where you go, there are tradeoffs. For instance, the stats training in the clinical program at my alma matar was a joke compared to what we were offered in an SOE that trains people to work at testing companies professionally, but our assessment training was garbage compared to what the clinical students got. The people who did the best in my program supplemented in the clinical department and/or the local AMC to pick up what we weren't getting. Still, no excuse though. It frustrated me then and it frustrates me now.

This is similar to my experience, except from the counseling side. The lower rates are concerning, and I also wish it was an excel sheet! There's got to be a converter, right?

I've been playing around with it for a few months, here and there

Same. It's a bit of fun, right? I've noticed it can create tables from raw data that you can copy and paste into excel, but I'm guessing the powers that be at ASPPB wouldn't appreciate a workable dataset made from their copyrighted document floating around on the interwebs.

So I will mention that Albizu University has a history of cohorts who are predominantly those who have strong Caribbean and Latin American backgrounds. I will say the biggest thing that came up from several folks that attended that program often cited language and cultural aspects that did not align with how they approached studying for the EPPP. So, I am unsure if we could attribute their 54% pass rate (and lower in the past) to something arbitrarily as the program itself (i.e., the foundational and experiential components of their education) whereas there seems to be a strong language/cultural layer that is serving as an intervening variable. That's my opinion at least. It's like when I used to do neuro testing there in Miami and depending on the type of Spanish being spoken, not all neuro tests really capture and measure the construct for that test taker as Spanish in Chile is not the same as Spanish in Mexico, etc. There are a lot of nuances to the language that could impede an otherwise better performance for that test taker. My dissertation focused on Spanish speakers who had TBIs and their performance on select neuro tests, and this was something I would speak to in my study's limitations.

So I will mention that Albizu University has a history of cohorts who are predominantly those who have strong Caribbean and Latin American backgrounds. I will say the biggest thing that came up from several folks that attended that program often cited language and cultural aspects that did not align with how they approached studying for the EPPP. So, I am unsure if we could attribute their 54% pass rate (and lower in the past) to something arbitrarily as the program itself (i.e., the foundational and experiential components of their education) whereas there seems to be a strong language/cultural layer that is serving as an intervening variable. That's my opinion at least. It's like when I used to do neuro testing there in Miami and depending on the type of Spanish being spoken, not all neuro tests really capture and measure the construct for that test taker as Spanish in Chile is not the same as Spanish in Mexico, etc. There are a lot of nuances to the language that could impede an otherwise better performance for that test taker. My dissertation focused on Spanish speakers who had TBIs and their performance on select neuro tests, and this was something I would speak to in my study's limitations.

Only an n=2, but of those 2 people from Albizu who I have interacted with clinically/forensically, they have been in the bottom 5% in terms of competence that I have ever come across. I'd hope that they are not representative of the program as a whole, but I am not optimistic about that.

Only an n=2, but of those 2 people from Albizu who I have interacted with clinically/forensically, they have been in the bottom 5% in terms of competence that I have ever come across. I'd hope that they are not representative of the program as a whole, but I am not optimistic about that.

I'm sure that experience is accurate as I also know of several folks who are like you described. However, I also know in the past 5-8 years they've re-done a lot of things to ensure better quality, but they also have significant issues there that continue to contribute to their variable success stories. I think it was mentioned in a previous thread, but typically the ones who succeed and demonstrate optimal competency in their practice would have done just as good in a different/more reputable program. I don't think it's any one issue that is contributing to the variability in "quality of their product," but rather, it's multi-factorial, one factor being their candidate pool they select from to make up their cohorts. In the not so distant past, their issues with retaining quality professors has typically resulted in variable competencies surrounding foundational skills as one cohort might have one professor for select courses and the next cohort has someone else, thus, there is no real stability. Expectations have often shifted across cohorts so that means some cohorts get a heavier dose of some skills while others...not so much. There's also an issue of their practicum sites where a sizable chunk of their cohorts are placed at sub-par sites such as private practices where qualify control and experiences are....lacking. I say all this as things have seemed to have changed in the past 5-8 years, so it is likely we will have to see what the next 5-10 years bring us when more of their graduates enter the job market. I believe their EPPP pass rates have improved since the last survey.

So, I am unsure if we could attribute their 54% (and lower in the past) to something arbitrarily as the program itself (i.e., the foundational and experiential components of their education) whereas there seems to be a strong language/cultural layer that is serving as an intervening variable.

Yeah, I'd wager that candidate selection by program plays a role in EPPP scores thus we'd ought to be cautious to infer quality of the training experience on that outcome measure alone. Since we don't get access to the psychometrics of the EPPP or EPPP-2, we can't really know how invariant it is across forms or for specific representative groups. Thus, ecological fallacies apply if we make a program level inference without more nuanced data.

That said though, my own home program's rate is lower than I would like, but it also doesn't surprise me at all. IME, it was really easy for some students to phone it in and still get passed through. There were also some glaring training deficiencies, which the more neurotic among us supplemented appropriately and consequently are now doing just fine. Had I known going in what I know now, I may have chosen a different program even though it worked out for me personally.

Same. It's a bit of fun, right? I've noticed it can create tables from raw data that you can copy and paste into excel, but I'm guessing the powers that be at ASPPB wouldn't appreciate a workable dataset made from their copyrighted document floating around on the interwebs.
does it need its own thread yet?

From discussions with some of them, I don't think they'd care one bit. Also, it's freely available data, not behind a paywall of any kind.

The document is copyrighted. It's only reason I didn't jailbreak it yesterday and post a .csv to this thread.

Fair enough, I see that now on page 2. Regardless, they've given data for study in the past pretty easily. I imagine if you asked about doing a study with the data, they'd just say "have fun."

On threads discussing some of the more "questionable" doctoral programs it is pretty common to see a post along the lines of "I went there/know someone from there/work with someone from there who is pretty successful." This document shows the problem with that line of reasoning. Take my local "questionable" program- William James College(WJC) PsyD- for example. The 2020-2022 table shows that of the 152 grads who took the EPPP, 62 did not pass (I encourage you to look at absolute numbers and not just percentages- with such variability in number of grads from each program, as well as some very small n's going into the % calculations, percentage is an even weaker statistic than it usually is). In the 90 that passed, there's sure to be some pretty good clinicians. If you look at my alma mater, only 8 students took the EPPP in the same time period (and all 8 passed!). Working in a clinical setting, you are much more likely to run into a good clinician from WJC than from UMass Clinical Psych. In fact, more good practicing clinicians probably come out of William James than out of UMass. However, if you meet a UMass clinician, chances are they are going to be pretty good. There will be much more variability in WJC graduates, and we are only talking about the ~60 percent who even take and pass the exam.

Thing is, programs like WJC does not do enough a the point of admission for you to determine which group you are likely to fall into. Will you be one of the 62 who cannot move on with your career and start recouping your costs (more on that later)? It's basically a coin flip. Looking at the data from all the other programs in the state (except Springfield College, which gets a pass on their low rate FOR NOW because they are relatively new and presumably working out the the kinks), it seems like if you go there and get to the point of taking the EPPP, you're likely to be able to get on with your lives.

Looking at the 62 who didn't pass, let's assume that half of those eventually will (which is somewhat panned out by their overall ~80% pass rate between 2012 and 2022). So we are left with 30 who may never get to be psychologists when they grow up. From the WJC website, each of those 30 spent and estimated $84,094 (tuition, fees, rent, food, personal, etc.) per year to attend for five years, for a total of $420,470 (not including opportunity costs). $12,614,100 was spent by people who cannot be psychologists (the school got $7.8 million of this in tuition and fees).

TLDR- Yeah, you can find some good clinicians from programs like this if that is what you are looking for. Heck, my boss is a great clinician from whom I've learned a lot and she went there! However, you might want to look more closely for one of those 62 who didn't pass yet or for one of the 30 who maybe never will. You're spending ~500K (before compound interest if you finance), Probably makes the most sense to plan on being the median versus landing in the upper tail, with some recognition that not being able to be a psychologist after attending is an uncomfortably high probability.

Reactions: 6 users
I think the way ClinicalABA laid it out was pretty striking. Graduating with well over $400,000 in debt is brutal even if you are able to get licensed. Digging a hole that deep and not getting licensed at the end of it...

I still think the WJCs of the world are viable for strong students who can independently finance their education. But that's not most people.

I think the way ClinicalABA laid it out was pretty striking. Graduating with well over $400,000 in debt is brutal even if you are able to get licensed. Digging a hole that deep and not getting licensed at the end of it...

I still think the WJCs of the world are viable for strong students who can independently finance their education. But that's not most people.

It's still just a poor ROI. Why pay 200k+ when you could invest that, spend some time getting relevant experience and building a resume, and get good training in a funded program? It just shows bad judgment.

Problem is that the WJC's of the world do not have policies in place for you to determine whether or not you are a "strong student" to the extent that you will likely be successful. I'm guessing those 30 that are not likely to pass the EPPP weren't told something along the lines of "we'll accept you and take your money, but it's going to cost you a whole lot and there's not a great chance that you'll be able to pass some of the initial barriers to entry for that to pay off." (If that is, in fact, part of their acceptance letter language, then I apologize for my uninformed "judginess"). On the other hand, more reputable programs would convey that information by not accepting this individuals for admissions.

I don't necessarily think it's primarily an issue of the school not adequately preparing students for the exam (though that is certainly part of it). I think it's moreso an issue of the school unfairly NOT weeding out applicants who show very little evidence that they will be able to pass some of the initial barriers to becoming a psychologist (with attrition rates of 10-15 %, the problem starts a little sooner than the EPPP). It's just a very big gamble that costs a lot of people a whole lot of money.

I don't necessarily think it's primarily an issue of the school not adequately preparing students for the exam (though that is certainly part of it). I think it's moreso an issue of the school unfairly NOT weeding out applicants who show very little evidence that they will be able to pass some of the initial barriers to becoming a psychologist (with attrition rates of 10-15 %, the problem starts a little sooner than the EPPP).
Completely agree.

I know someone who had difficulties passing the EPPP, took multiple tries, and looking at their program's stats... ahh, yeah, that makes sense.

The sad part is WJC seems to have cornered quite a market on workforce development training programs and gotten key buy-in from the state to offer certification and other trainings for potential candidates in the field of behavioral health (paraprofessionals, bachelors, masters, and doctoral level providers).