EPPP Pass Rates By Doctoral Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I worked with a few folk who went to Capella and Walden and can’t pass the EPPP. As I look through the table it looks like the online diploma mills aren’t even on there. As I discourage others from pursuing that path, I wish I had more than just anecdotal data so just checking in to see if anyone has any stats or knows where to get the stats from these.

Members don't see this ad.

I worked with a few folk who went to Capella and Walden and can’t pass the EPPP. As I look through the table it looks like the online diploma mills aren’t even on there. As I discourage others from pursuing that path, I wish I had more than just anecdotal data so just checking in to see if anyone has any stats or knows where to get the stats from these.

In some (many?) jurisdictions, these aren't licensable, so that may be why.

AFAIK- They are online programs and thus students not eligible to take EPPP.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I will mention that Albizu University has a history of cohorts who are predominantly those who have strong Caribbean and Latin American backgrounds. I will say the biggest thing that came up from several folks that attended that program often cited language and cultural aspects that did not align with how they approached studying for the EPPP. So, I am unsure if we could attribute their 54% pass rate (and lower in the past) to something arbitrarily as the program itself (i.e., the foundational and experiential components of their education) whereas there seems to be a strong language/cultural layer that is serving as an intervening variable. That's my opinion at least. It's like when I used to do neuro testing there in Miami and depending on the type of Spanish being spoken, not all neuro tests really capture and measure the construct for that test taker as Spanish in Chile is not the same as Spanish in Mexico, etc. There are a lot of nuances to the language that could impede an otherwise better performance for that test taker. My dissertation focused on Spanish speakers who had TBIs and their performance on select neuro tests, and this was something I would speak to in my study's limitations.
ESL can certainly be a barrier to successful completion of things like the EPPP. We all know that, so I'd assume that Albizu knows that too. If they are knowingly accepting students (and cashing the tuition checks) for students for whom this will be an issue and are not doing anything about it, then shame on them! I'd say that's even worse than just being and inadequate training experience, but instead is pretty exploitative of a somewhat vulnerable population.

AFAIK- They are online programs and thus students not eligible to take EPPP.

They are eligible in some states. Their website does/did have a list of states where they could potentially qualify, as long as they met other requirements, which would be difficult, but not impossible.

It's wild the difference in pass rates between the clinical and school psych programs at my uni.

ESL can certainly be a barrier to successful completion of things like the EPPP. We all know that, so I'd assume that Albizu knows that too. If they are knowingly accepting students (and cashing the tuition checks) for students for whom this will be an issue and are not doing anything about it, then shame on them! I'd say that's even worse than just being and inadequate training experience, but instead is pretty exploitative of a somewhat vulnerable population.
I know Albizu has 2 campuses in Puerto Rico, but I believe PR also requires the EPPP, so it's not as though it could be blamed on the program not needing to try to prepare applicants for that specific exam.

It's wild the difference in pass rates between the clinical and school psych programs at my uni.
Seems to be a pretty consistent trend with colleges/unis that have both. I thought it might be related to a specific content area, but a cursory glance doesn't really support that- scores are just uniformly lower in all content areas. I was surprised by the relatively low scores in the "social and cultural bases of behavior" content area for the School Psych program, where there is an emphasis on this throughout the curricula.

Also, anyone have insider info on why this happened? https://www.asppb.net/news/317115/SpanishEnglish-EPPP.htm. Seems weird you can take it in French, but not Spanish.

Some suggestion that the process was rushed, and the exam resulted in a relatively much higher failure rate. So, they scrapped it and just never went back to that well. As for the French version, I suspect it has to do with French language proficiency being mandated in certain areas for healthcare professionals.

In full transparency, I went to Albizu, so I am speaking from 5 years of immersive experience, including having been a member of multiple boards such as the academic review board where I was the student representative that had a vote on things like admissions requirements for various programs, hiring and retention of faculty....where to put the latest vending machine (LOL). At least for me, I was successful, I literally finish internship, started my big boy job at a VA a month later, and 3 months after that got licensed. So, within 4 months of finishing internship with no post-doc, I got licensed. I was diligent, much like how I was in my studies. I published 4 book chapters in 2.5 months after defending my dissertation which I did before going off to internship. I can tell you....I am not of Hispanic background.

Seems to be a pretty consistent trend with colleges/unis that have both. I thought it might be related to a specific content area, but a cursory glance doesn't really support that- scores are just uniformly lower in all content areas. I was surprised by the relatively low scores in the "social and cultural bases of behavior" content area for the School Psych program, where there is an emphasis on this throughout the curricula.
I'm wondering if it has something to do with (1) many phd level school psychs treat licensure not very seriously, almost as a side hustle, because they prefer to be school based, thus having less skin in the game, and prepare less, (2) lower quality students because school psych is simply less competetive, and (3) training differences

Glad to see they published the pass rates. Once in a while I like to come in here and read what people really think about students from different programs. Even very qualified students at great schools sometimes don't pass. Does that mean they weren't prepared by their program? Does that mean people who passed despite having gone to a less reputable program were better prepared by their program? Are they more intelligent or better clinicians? We all know that some schools are better than others. All I would care about as a supervisor and as a colleague is if you, personally, can do what is required. Lots of people can go to a great program, pass a test, and be an awful clinician. Even worse, be an awful human being. As much as we should gate keep, we should also be mindful of how we go about it. Take care.

Reactions: 1 users
Glad to see they published the pass rates. Once in a while I like to come in here and read what people really think about students from different programs. Even very qualified students at great schools sometimes don't pass. Does that mean they weren't prepared by their program? Does that mean people who passed despite having gone to a less reputable program were better prepared by their program? Are they more intelligent or better clinicians? We all know that some schools are better than others. All I would care about as a supervisor and as a colleague is if you, personally, can do what is required. Lots of people can go to a great program, pass a test, and be an awful clinician. Even worse, be an awful human being. As much as we should gate keep, we should also be mindful of how we go about it. Take care.
Clearly there can be great, good, and bad students from any program. Like you, as a supervisor the bottom line is can you do the job, do it well, and contribute positively to the agency. Unfortunately, when onboarding a new intern, staff member, etc., you have limited information about the candidates individual abilities (particular things not related to actual clinical abilities, such as good work habits, professional responsibility, good oral and (especially) written communication skills, and an ability to integrate knowledge and skills from multiple areas to solve novel problems. It is very helpful for me when training programs play "gatekeeper" regarding these abilities. While I can't predict with 100% accuracy that the trainee from local mentor model, small-cohort, clinical doctoral program has these abilities, I CAN predict that, on average, they are more likely to possess those skills (and have better overall clinical training and experiences) that the trainee from the local huge-cohort professional school. That saves a lot of time and headache in investing in the onboarding, training, credentialing, etc. of new staff. I can rely on certain programs specifically, and more generally (but less accurately, obviously) certain types of training programs to produce- on average- much better candidates. I literally (and I mean that in the real sense) cannot rely on graduates of my local big professional school to be able to construct a written sentence following basic rules of grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc., or to reliably follow an instruction to not wear jeans to work (while not a big deal, it's policy so deal with it). These latter deficiencies would have prevented you from progressing beyond year one in many respectable programs.

Yeah- there's good clinicians from every program. However, some programs and types of programs reliably produce good-great clinicians, and these clinicians are often identifiable by the name on their diploma and the mentor they worked with. They are- on the average- better trained, have better oral and written communication skills, and have better professional and work habits. If a program with a cohort size of 10 produces 8 really good clinicians each year, while the program with a cohort size of 100 produces 30 really good clinicians each year, I'm much better off- de facto- choosing someone from the the small cohort program even though the other program produces a lot more really good clinicians. New staff are expensive and we often have to convince "higher ups" to let us hire them. The financial and "karmic" expenses of someone not working out are huge, so if I can rely on somebody else (e.g. a good graduate program) to do some of the gatekeeping, then I certainly will.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
While @ClinicalABA noted very clearly why relative rates, rather than frequencies, are critical in understanding perspectives in clinical skills, I want to note that the same thing occurs in my observation of the research skills (on average). There is variation within any institution, with exemplars of success in all types, but even the relative ratio or frequency of research errors in presented conference work can evidence these same underlying trends we use when we define and describe which are 'better' programs than others.

While @ClinicalABA noted very clearly why relative rates, rather than frequencies, are critical in understanding perspectives in clinical skills, I want to note that the same thing occurs in my observation of the research skills (on average). There is variation within any institution, with exemplars of success in all types, but even the relative ratio or frequency of research errors in presented conference work can evidence these same underlying trends we use when we define and describe which are 'better' programs than others.

And then there's just good ol real world observation. We have many grads of the now defunct Argosy system here. I've worked in and around several of the hospital systems here, and by and large, these providers are some of the worst and most misinformed clinicians I have ever seen. Also, way more issues with not knowing their scope. Such as seeing a patient for "CPT" when they have never been trained in the method, and when we had appropriate referral sources for CPT/PE in the community, and even within that hospital. Quite simply, I'd rather not have to wade through piles of **** to find the diamond in the rough, when I can simply go pick something out from the gemstone piles nearby.

Human beings with degrees are piles of ****. I love it. Tell us more, or don't. I understand why people would rather interview candidates from good schools, the logic in that is clear. Would just be nice to not be a jerk about it, but that's just the normal human in me.

Human beings with degrees are piles of ****. I love it. Tell us more, or don't. I understand why people would rather interview candidates from good schools, the logic in that is clear. Would just be nice to not be a jerk about it, but that's just the normal human in me.
If by "be a jerk about it" you're referencing being (either in person or online) overtly mean, disrespectful, rude to anyone based solely on where they attended graduate school I wholeheartedly agree. As to your first three sentences of that post, I'm legitimately not sure what you're talking about.

I figured I might as well chime in as someone who is a current WJC student who decided to attend the program for a number of reasons (I had complicated family circumstances, necessary geographic limitations, my own health needs, etc). I have had concerns about prior pass rates, and have actually spoken to the administration about it (e.g., there were a few prior documents in which the name change from MSPP to WJC impacted the stats reporting at first glance), and I am trying my best to stay in conversation with the administration about the rates going forward. The numbers still aren't great, but I consider myself to be a committed student and I will be lucky enough to have an abundance of tutoring before I even think about signing up for the exam. I do have heightened concerns given that PART 2 is going to be required soon, and I'm unsure if WJC will adapt quickly to prepare us for that part of the exam. I, unfortunately, have to put A LOT of trust in myself as a student, as opposed to trusting that the school will prepare me.

I knew coming into the program that there could be some stigma attached to my resume once I graduate from WJC, but I am actively trying my best to make my resume stand out and develop my clinical niche as best as I can right now. It may just be a fluke, but two of my supervisors from my past practicum placements (at 'good' places) have also come from WJC, which gives me some amount of confidence that there will be places that will hire me after I graduate despite the reputation of my program. I know that is only n = 2 though, and that it is only my unique experience. It seems that my peers have seen WJC grads in 'good places' sometimes.

I don't blame employers for playing it safe when hiring, but I try to maintain some hope that some employers will see me independently as a clinician, as opposed to only seeing the name of my school. It can be hard to divorce the reputation of the grad program from the graduates of the program though.

I hope my experience is of interest since WJC comes up somewhat frequently in this forum.

Last edited: