EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! So excited to be contributing to this thread! I passed the EPPP today on my first try with a 661 (NY 87). I was fortunate to have been handed down lots of different study materials but I primarily used: PrepJet summaries and practice exams; AATBS flashcards, audios, and practice exams; PsychPrep audios and practice exams; the retired questions exam; and the SEPPPO. I did not feel like any one company's exams were any more helpful or like the EPPP (except the SEPPPO, which did feel very similar if a little more difficult than the real thing). I appreciated the brevity of the PrepJet summaries and the variety of presentations for material from AATBS.

I studied from mid-January/early-February (intermittently) and buckled down more consistently mid-March. I still couldn't bring myself to study more than 6-10 hours a week, sometimes less than that. I probably studied around 100-125 total hours. I tried to take practice exams as I went since I found that easier than sitting down and reading really boring summaries. Sometimes I would take them in a couple sittings in study mode since I never had trouble pacing myself or completing exams. I didn't feel the need to build up my stamina in that way. By the time my exam rolled around I felt really burned out and at capacity in terms of studying. I never felt "ready" but all my indicators were telling me I was ready, so I decided to just give it a shot.

Similar to how everyone feels, I felt like the exam was very difficult and I didn't know if I was passing the entire time. I wrote "You are going to pass" at the top of my white board and would look at it and take a deep breath when I felt discouraged. It felt like I only really knew like 15% of the answers, was able to easily narrow down to 2 options and then take a best guess 70%, and needed to take blind guesses on 15%. The test felt true to its promise that it was focused on the Big 6 with very few stats, assessment, and test construction questions. I finished with 45 minutes to spare. I had flagged about 15 questions. I reviewed those and only changed 3 responses. Then I just submit it because I was tired, wanted it to be over, and I did not want to review other questions and start changing potentially correct answers if I was borderline-passing (I would have never forgiven myself). I took no breaks other than short 1-2 minute spurts of deep breathing at my station.

Test Scores:
  • 1/16 - Diagnostic Prepjet Test - 38%
  • 1/22 - Practice Exam #1 - PsychPrep A Test Mode - 97/200 - 48.5%
  • 3/17 - Practice Exam #2 - PrepJet 1 Study Mode - 131/225 - 58%
  • 4/2 - Practice Exam #3 - PrepJet 2 Study Mode - 145/225 - 64%
  • 4/9 - Practice Exam #4 - PrepJet 3 Study Mode 127/225 - 56%
  • 4/16 - Practice Exam #5 - PrepJet 4 Study Mode 137/225 - 60%
  • 4/28 - Practice Exam #6 - PrepJet 5 Study Mode 145/225 - 64%
  • 5/2 - Practice Exam #7 - AATBS 1 Study Mode 151/225 - 67%
  • 5/9 - Practice Exam #8 - AATBS 2 Study Mode 146/225 - 65%
  • 5/13 - Practice Exam #9 - SEPPPO - PASS - 73%
  • 5/17 - Practice Exam #10 - AATBS 3 Study Mode - 68%
  • 5/19 - Practice Exam #11 - PsychPrep E Test Mode- 141/200 - 70%
  • 5/29 - Practice Exam #12 - RETAKE PsychPrep A - 166/200 - 83%
  • 5/30 - Retired Questions (First 100 only because I was burned out, so not a true score) - 80/100 - 80%
6/1 - EPPP 661 (NY 87)

I am so relieved to be done with this monster that has been hanging over my head for 4 months. I wish you all the best of luck on your own journeys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone on this forum for being so inspirational to me over the past few months; I'll forever be grateful to you all.

I'm pleased to say thatI passed this morning with a score of 505 (NY Conversion: 75). It was a close one, and my second attempt. Here's my story.

I am a Master's Degree candidate for the EPPP in a state that requires a passing score of 500. I began study four years out from graduation in November, 2022. I was recommended PsychPrep by two colleagues who passed using that program, and that is the only program I used. Here are my first time scores for each PsychPrep test:

Test A: 37% (sobering, to say the least).
Test B: 48% (Gave myself a bit of a kick in the rear end and was clearly improving).
Test C: 58% (disappointing, as I should have hit a higher % at this point.)
Test D: 58% (Concerning, as this was the first novel test where I didn't show improvement).
Test E: 62% (the only novel test that I took in exam mode)

I did not take the SEPPP or any other tests.
I scored in the 77-88% range on the retakes for A-D.
I scored 86-90% on the exam mode for A-C.
I did not retake Test D a third time, nor did I retake test E a second or third time (more on that later).

That's all the data, now here comes the full story, warts and all.

I am a very nervous test taker; always have been. I have been dreading this for years, and when it finally came time to begin study, I was a ball of nerves. As I progressed through the PsychPrep materials, I realized I needed some extra help and availed myself of the e-mail consultant through PsychPrep. I recommend this to folks who are as nervous as me about testing, as the greatest benefit was not from any test-taking strategies, but rather keeping my focus and direction, and never giving up hope; I really lucked out with my consultant.

Things began to fall apart for me right between Test B and Test C. I was losing sleep, my confidence was shot, and anxiety was through the roof. At this point, my partner suggested I go ahead and take the exam to alleviate my anxiety through the experience of actually doing it. It was a mixed bag; I failed with 444 (NY: 70). Over time, based on the assumption that each question is worth roughly 6 points (average), I likely missed the cutoff by 9-11 questions. I didn't take a practice exam for a couple reasons. First, I was informed that a practice exam would not give feedback by test category (which I don't believe is actually true) and there was this part of me that thought maybe....just maybe, I would pull it off. Was this a wise decision? Right now, I can't really say. I do know that when I returned to the testing center today, I really didn't have that much anxiety. It was an expensive experiment for sure, but having passed this exam, and feeling the relief of not needing to study anymore....I'll take the hit.

I proceeded to study earnestly, with a combination of reading material and test-taking, but I really emphasized the latter. Test D was pretty awful: I ended up with the same score as I did with Test C, and this was after a week of dedicated study (all other study was based around my full-time work and was sporadic, at best). My email consultant suggested a zoom session with the creator of PsychPrep, and I agreed to the $300 charge. This was money well spent for me, but perhaps not for everyone; I can only say that she realigned my testing strategies and this was evidenced both in the results from Test E (in test mode) and the EPPP itself.

I took the test a week or two earlier than expected. Having completed Test E in exam mode, I intended to take test D one last time, and then to retake test E at least once more. The email consultant suggested taking the SEPPP and retired tests through ASPPB. I had every intention of doing that in that order, until I tried to schedule my exam - looking at appointment availability, there was one slot available over the next 6 weeks. Having gone through the stress and anxiety of 7 months of this blasted exam, I could not wait another 6 weeks. I signed up for a test scheduled for 36 hours later.

This gave me almost no time to study the incorrect answers for Test E, so I crammed that information. I watched some TV with my family the night before and headed off early this morning to the testing center. The familiarity with the setting really helped alleviate anxiety, and I progress in good time, with six minutes to spare at the end. I felt "quasi-confident" about passing, but honestly was just exhausted in general. I changed something important that made big difference second time around, and I recommend this approach: Using the highlight feature to highlight words in the question as you read them. I found this really helpful to focus my attention on salient information and it was especially helpful when revisiting the bookmarked questions, as the highlights remain in place when you return to them later.

The relief I felt was immeasurable and passing by 5 points is not important to me at all; I'm just glad I was able to overcome this and be successful at something that scared me. A lot of the wonderful people on this forum (my guiding lights!) have ended their posts by saying "you know more than you think you do" and my intrusive thoughts would surely lead me to say "but that's everyone else on here, not me". Well, I can say that I knew one question more than I needed to pass on this particular day, so I strongly believe that if you have made it this far and are still reading, that YOU know a LOT more than you think you do, and whatever preparation you do, whatever teaching method you employ, know that this exam does not define who you are as a clinician, a researcher, or a person. You've got this, and I truly believe that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just failed the EPPP with a 433 and am looking at study programs. I did not use one the first time around & just used materials passed down to me from other grad students. Any recommendations? I hear prepjet is good. I definitely need help/coaching for testing taking skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to come and post my own experiences in this thread because it had given me the courage I needed to write. I'm only a lowly Master's graduate from Alberta, but I passed today on my first time writing with a 666 (NY 88).

I have been studying like a madwoman since November. I started with a 6 month Prepjet subscription and my initial practice exams ran the gamut from low to high 60s. I reviewed until my subscription ran out and retook several of the exams, scoring low 80s on many of them. I thought I was doing well so I wrote the PEPPPO (or the SEPPPO as it appears to be called now) and I only got a 65. Yikes!

The wording on the SEPPPO threw me off completely. It felt nothing like Prepjet's exams. I felt I needed another perspective before I felt comfortable about writing.

So I wound up purchasing a one month full subscription to Psychprep. Taking test A, my first score was 68, which felt more similar to the SEPPPO. I drilled into the material and got the following scores:

B: 69
C: 74
D: 76
E: 74.

Then I took the 250 retired EPPP questions and got a 79. I finally felt comfortable to write, so I scheduled it and passed!

The whole process took about 7 months, and I probably over-prepared, but it was worth it for the relative comfort I felt during the exam. Relatively little of it felt COMPLETELY off the wall. As a result I was able to sit through the entire thing without any breaks and just power through it with relatively minimal stress (certainly compared to the stress of trying to study for 7 months with a 1 and a 4 year old).

Thanks to all of you for your massive help in helping me feel comfortable to write this thing.

Reactions: 1 users
I just wanted to come and post my own experiences in this thread because it had given me the courage I needed to write. I'm only a lowly Master's graduate from Alberta, but I passed today on my first time writing with a 666 (NY 88).

I have been studying like a madwoman since November. I started with a 6 month Prepjet subscription and my initial practice exams ran the gamut from low to high 60s. I reviewed until my subscription ran out and retook several of the exams, scoring low 80s on many of them. I thought I was doing well so I wrote the PEPPPO (or the SEPPPO as it appears to be called now) and I only got a 65. Yikes!

The wording on the SEPPPO threw me off completely. It felt nothing like Prepjet's exams. I felt I needed another perspective before I felt comfortable about writing.

So I wound up purchasing a one month full subscription to Psychprep. Taking test A, my first score was 68, which felt more similar to the SEPPPO. I drilled into the material and got the following scores:

B: 69
C: 74
D: 76
E: 74.

Then I took the 250 retired EPPP questions and got a 79. I finally felt comfortable to write, so I scheduled it and passed!

The whole process took about 7 months, and I probably over-prepared, but it was worth it for the relative comfort I felt during the exam. Relatively little of it felt COMPLETELY off the wall. As a result I was able to sit through the entire thing without any breaks and just power through it with relatively minimal stress (certainly compared to the stress of trying to study for 7 months with a 1 and a 4 year old).

Thanks to all of you for your massive help in helping me feel comfortable to write this thing.
Congratulations! What a relief to have this behind you. Question: Which psych prep program did you purchase for 1 month ( i.e. Basic, BasicPlus, Premium)?

Congratulations! What a relief to have this behind you. Question: Which psych prep program did you purchase for 1 month ( i.e. Basic, BasicPlus, Premium)?
I did the BasicPlus package and read through all their material. I found that they covered things in different ways than Prepjet and some sections had more or less information. The two of them together made me feel like I had a good handle on the overall material and I cannot stress enough the importance of having practice exams using different kinds of language. Prepjet and Psychprep both felt very different from each other and the real EPPP felt different still, but getting used to answering the material presented in different ways made all the difference.

Hello all! Wanted to check in to contribute to this thread after spending the last 6 months panic lurking. The responses here have helped me deal with my dread so I'm hoping that I can pass on good juju for others!

Passed on the first try. Score: 605, NY - 83

I graduated from a PhD Counseling Psych program in 2022.

Studying:
I started studying very casually in Jan 2023 by listening to hand me down psychprep audios every now and then. In April, I started studying with the AATBS program by listening to AATBS audio and taking the different section exams. In May I started concurrently reading the AATBS books as well as hand me down psychprep materials from 2019. I found that the Psychprep materials had less detailed information that made it easier to take notes while reading. The AATBS material felt much more detailed. I did not take notes on any AATBS material and just highlighted instead. Because PsychPrep and AATBS organized topics/sections in a different order, I found that it helped reinforce my memory and fill in the gap for things that I forgot. It also made me feel better knowing that I reviewed material from each section a minimum of two times. My consistency in studying was terrible to be honest. I was able to study for 1-2 weeks a month, but could not find the motivation to stick to it for long. However, when I would study for 1-2 weeks at a time, it would be everyday of that week (2-3 hours on the week day and 3-5 hours on the weekends.) When I would finish an AATBS section, I would immediately take the corresponding section quiz on the website which I found reinforced the information and helped build my confidence. I ended up taking my exam in mid June during an AM slot. I found that scheduling the exam helped motivate me to study because I was committed to a deadline (that I decided I would not move). I found taking the practice exams incredibly helpful for understanding test strategy and wording. I would not skip the practice exams.

Practice Test Scores (all in study mode):

Hand me down Exam A Jan 2023 - 43%
AATBS Exam 1 April 2023 - 63%
AATBS Exam 2 April 2023 - 64%
AATBS Exam 3 April 2023 - 67%
AATBS Exam 4 May 2023 - 55%
AATBS Exam 5 June 2023 - 58%
AATBS Exam 6 June 2023 - 67%

The Exam:
Someone on this forum mentioned that you have to turn out your pockets each time you want a break, so I decided to wear leggings, a tank top, and a sweater to the exam. I took off the sweater and left it in the exam room each time I took a break to reduce the time needed to do the pat down. (You have to pat yourself down, pull up your hair, and turn out any pockets each time you come back in). It doesn't take long, but it feels like a hassle when you know the clock is still running.
During the EPPP you get no scheduled breaks, they are all on your time. I ended up taking a 5-10 minute break about every 60 questions. (One at 60 Q, 120 Q, and 180 Q). The breaks were very needed. I noticed that I started to feel very antsy and fatigued around the time I took a break. In addition to snacking and hydrating, I found it helpful to stretch and spend some time looking out a window. I think it helped my brain to switch tasks and focus on the sky and birds. Also, mid-way through the exam, I got a headache. I was very happy to have brought some ibuprofen with me. So it may be helpful to pack some ibuprofen or Tums just in case.
By the time I got to question 225, I had about 35-40 minutes left with 26 flagged questions. I was able to review them and wrap up with 5 minutes to spare.
I found the highlighting and strike-through feature very helpful. Especially as I got fatigued, the highlighter helped me focus and forced my brain to stop skipping over important info. The strike through also made me less anxious because it visualized narrowing down my choices. The flagging system was also great. I even found that one or two questions later on in the exam had info that helped me answer a previous question I had flagged. Sometimes when I would get stuck, I would use the whiteboard they gave us to doodle while re reading the questions or trying to remember theories/specific info. I find doodling to be helpful when processing difficult information or jogging my memory. Lastly, I personally found the noise cancelling headphones to be helpful. They made me feel like I was more in my own bubble and found it less likely I would be distracted by other test takers.

Throughout the exam, I had no idea if I was doing well or not. Mid way, I found myself on the verge of panicking and had to shove that down real hard so I could get through the exam. I honestly did not know whether I had passed or not until I got my print out. So if you feel the same way, it definitely does not mean you're doomed! I would suggest scheduling the exam in the morning if possible because I could not imagine doing the exam on afternoon energy or having to deal with the anxiety leading up to the exam time. In the morning, I was too busy waking up and getting out the door to panic.

Last suggestions - I found it helpful to do my best to eat well and sleep well the week leading up to my exam. I wish this was my default, but I have a hard time eating and sleeping well under stress. I had to be very intentional about babying my body and giving my brain it's best shot at functioning well before my exam. I know that I have certain foods that tend to give me more long term energy instead of short bursts, so I was mindful of that when I had breakfast that morning and choose my snacks for that day. I also requested the day off before and after my exam to give myself time to rest pre and post stress.

Finals Thoughts
I am so grateful to the people (both known and unknown) who share their support and tips generously. This is a terrible experience, but it would be even worse alone.

Good luck on the exam!

This thread has been the greatest hope-instiller and mood stabilizer throughout this gnarly process - thank you all! Being a lurker for the past few weeks, I wanted to keep the hope alive and finally contribute (after passing, first attempt, this afternoon: 544 (NY78). I didn’t hit it out of the park, but I’m A-OK with how I did. :D A pass is a pass.

I had an odd journey. I finished all requirements, and was eligible to sit for my exam in 2015. But…I didn’t. After experiencing a few notable personal losses right around that time, my head wasn’t in the game. So I took some time to settle myself and then wound up VERY busy working in community mental health. I made excuses that I was too busy to make the time, and I honestly wasn’t feeling super anxious about it all. So nerves weren’t keeping me from scheduling. I just…delayed. And avoided.

I finally submitted my application to sit for the exam in late 2018/2019, delayed again for a few months and right about the time I felt my readiness to schedule hit, so did COVID. And I delayed again. Fast forward, and I actually had to resubmit because the three year window of approval passed. This all makes me sound terribly unmotivated and disorganized, but I’m not. I swear. I was clearly mega-avoiding. Fast forward again, my resubmission was approved and I threw myself into the fray. Finally.

Now to the nitty-gritty. I studied for approximately 6 weeks, the last three weeks pretty intensively (3-9 hours a day; I’m a very early morning person so this helped, since I could get several hours in before work and a little after). It might sound insane to say, but being so far past graduation, I actually found studying…cool?(go ahead, roll your eyes, I certainly did). I love to read, and I’m a huge nerd, so this also helped. It was oddly enjoyable to revisit information. I used only AATBS materials, originally purchased in 2018 (2018 volumes, 8 practice exams, audio recordings, flashcards). I read the AATBS books twice (about one a day or so for about a week-ish), first just to read and second taking extensive notes (one about every two - three days). I also listened to all audio - really listened - twice, once just listening and once taking notes. I’d read a section, take notes, listen to the corresponding audio, take notes. I essentially created my own mini-books. And that I did. I have two small journals completely filled. I also used the EPPP flashcard app (around $30 in the App Store), and every night during the time I normally would be reading for fun, I casually flipped through until I fell asleep.

I have moderate test anxiety, and tend to over-reason my way out of correct answers, so that had me worried. One of the AATBS audio recordings said “don’t add information to a question”, which really clicked for me (and made me realize was something I tend to do in that ‘over-reasoning’ process). My AATBS practice exam scores ranged from upper 50s to low 60s on first pass. Several I took while watching TV, so possibly could have done better with a little more focus. I took six of the exams twice, and scored in the high 70s to high 80s on the second go-round. Often the second go round was also about 2 weeks after the first, so some practice effects but it also made me feel like I had relatively good retention. I also took notes on all the questions I missed, and some notes even on the ones I got right. Connecting dots, mentally quizzing myself about what the other answer options related to, etc.

Using this forum was really a game changer - I never really panicked during the process. You all leveled me out! When my scores were low on practice exams, I was able to balance and reframe by reading posts about the journeys of others (i.e., if you don’t get above a 70 on an AATBS exam, it’s not the end of the world). I also took the SEPPPO (1: Knowledge) three days before my exam and got a 67%. That had me a little freaked, but I also wasn’t in a good mood when I took it, so rationalized and calmed and got back to it. I took another SEPPPO (you can take it again, Part 1: Knowledge, and of course you have to pay, but it was a different exam than the first I took - totally different) the day before my exam and got a 73%. Much better but not a comfy margin.

Throughout the gazillion practice-test-process I employed, it helped my stamina to sit for that long and it really solidified HOW to think about questions. I took the retired questions two days before my exam and got an 84%. That helped the confidence a bunch. I also strangely learned through this process that I always did better when I went…faster (when I kept a good clip and completed a practice test in 2 hours, my scores were always notably higher than when I took my time and spent a full 4 hours on a test). Maybe less time to think myself out of the right answer? I also got a nasty case of COVID about a month before my test date, and that helped nothing. I lost a few days completely, and then a few were not ideal due to brain fog. I waffled on rescheduling my exam, but again, this forum helped - I went for it.

The day of the exam, I woke early (per usual), flipped through my mini-books (of notes) for not too long, and then took a nap since my exam was later afternoon. I’m not an napper, but this just seemed right. I’m also not immune to anxiety, but throughout all of this, I felt - calm? Some tummy flips here and there, but generally ok. I kept waiting for the panic to hit, and it never did. Just normal nerves. It was weird.

I found that the questions on the exam were decently straightforward, and quite similar in sound to the retired Qs and the SEPPPO (somewhere in between, not as easy as the retired Qs but not has tricky as the SEPPPOs). There was A LOT of information I recognized from the AATBS materials, some not exact but close enough that it was familiar. And as some have said, the highlight and strike through features were awesome to help sift through everything and streamline answering. I also employed the same keep-a-good-clip tactic that had worked for me before, with a caveat. I finished all Qs in 2.5 hours, then went back from the beginning through ALL the questions - I think this was also clinch. I did actually change a number of my answers, though agree with many that changing answers is never a good tactic. My reasoning was, I kept my pace quick during the first run through - it was more about efficiency of pace with mostly careful reading - and during the second run, felt I had time to really review and think more about some of the trickier questions. The answers I changed, I felt were clearly wrong. I spent a little over an hour doing this (maybe 1.25 hours?), and had 10 minutes remaining when I finished. I also took one break after the first run through of all 225 Qs, for maybe about 5-10 minutes, snacks and hydration. When I was taking my practice exams, I rarely took breaks, so this was what my body was used to. And because I sometimes wear earplugs to sleep (city living) and find them generally calming, I asked for a pair (they have them, you just have to ask). Noise-canceling headphones were available at every computer station, but they tend to squish my brain and give me a headache, so I went with my tried and true plugs. I genuinely think this silence helped - I know I was clicking my mouse like a mad woman, highlighting things, and I would have irritated even myself. With earplugs, calm, blissful silence and focus. A few times during the test, I closed my eyes and did a little restful-eye exercise thing. That also helped more than expected. In general though, I was locked in and just wanted to get it over with, never to have to do it again (I hoped).

I walked out having no idea how I did. But then I got my piece of paper (she had three other people she was giving other results to, so I did panic a little at the “one piece of paper, you passed - two you didn’t”). And then got a frog in my throat saying thank you (choked up), and ran out of there like a bat out of hell.

Too many words, didn’t read:
*Studied for ~6 weeks (pretty intensively, 3-8 hours a day, every day)
*AATBS study materials (dense but really the best in my opinion - I recognized A LOT on the actual EPPP)
*Took 16 practice exams (AATBS 1-6 twice, 7 once, 2 SEPPPOs, retired exam questions) = only passed >70%, one SEPPPO and the retired Qs), extensive notes on AATBS books and audio, which I reviewed and connected dots, repeatedly.
*Utilized this forum A LOT for perspective, balance, and general leveling-out.

I felt prepared, but cautiously unsure. I didn’t feel like I was failing the exam…I just felt really, really unsure if my logic-ing of the answers was working. I’m so glad it was. I can’t wait to get back to reading for fun. And life. Thank you all again! And to all those lurking, you know more than you think. Deep breaths. You got this. :D

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I take the EPPP in an exactly 1 week so I’m in the real panic phase. I have felt good up to this point with my practice test scores steadily increasing. So as a next step (while trying to calm my nerves) I’m going to take the SEPPOs and the retired questions since so many have said those feel the closest to the real thing.

My question is can someone point me in the direction of the correct retired questions test? I’ve seen some people say it’s free and others say they paid $75? I found a free one through a link on this forum but it is to an old photo copy that clearly uses DSM IV language if not earlier. Is this really what people are referring to? Any help would be so so appreciated.

Hi everyone!

I take the EPPP in an exactly 1 week so I’m in the real panic phase. I have felt good up to this point with my practice test scores steadily increasing. So as a next step (while trying to calm my nerves) I’m going to take the SEPPOs and the retired questions since so many have said those feel the closest to the real thing.

My question is can someone point me in the direction of the correct retired questions test? I’ve seen some people say it’s free and others say they paid $75? I found a free one through a link on this forum but it is to an old photo copy that clearly uses DSM IV language if not earlier. Is this really what people are referring to? Any help would be so so appreciated.
I believe that old photocopy is the one people are referring to. Certainly, it uses obviously outdated language, but as a free resource I nevertheless found it to be a good summary of the material that was on the exam. As an added benefit, I found the outdated language helpful in practicing answering the concepts from different phrasing. In my opinion that piece is a major element of being effective on the exam, because all of the practice exams and the real thing have slightly different wording and ideally you should be prepared to answer them regardless.

Just passed with a 694! Figured I'd contribute with my prep schedule and my practice test scores.

Schedule:
  • 10-12 WEEKS BEFORE TEST: I listened to the Psychprep lectures and took notes on corresponding Prepjet sections, while taking Prepjet study quizzes.
  • 8 WEEKS BEFORE TEST: I started going through the PrepJet exams, taking 1-2/week.
  • 5-6 WEEKS BEFORE TEST: Started retaking all Prepjet exams, cycling through until i got at least an 80% on each one.
  • 1 WEEK BEFORE TEST: Took the two "final" practice exams from AATBS and the OPEPPP.
  • 3 DAYS BEFORE TEST: made flashcards (~100) of the things i felt like I needed to memorize but just hadn't yet. Spent the last 3 days going over the flashcards.
Scores
  • Prepjet Diagnostic Exam: 47%
  • First Round
    • Exam 4: 61%
    • Exam 1: 80%
    • Exam 2: 76%
    • Exam 3: 76%
    • Exam 5: 78%
    • Exam 6: 68%
    • Exam 7: 63%
  • Retakes
    • Exam 1: 87
    • Exam 2: 79
    • Exam 3: 87
    • Exam 4: 81
    • Exam 5: 80
    • Exam 6: 75
    • Exam 7: 77
      • (so at this point, I started only taking the exams that I didn't score above 80 on)
    • Exam 2: 87
    • Exam 6: 83
    • Exam 7: 78
  • AATBS Final Practice #1: 72%
  • AATBS Final Practice #2: 71%
  • OPEPPP: 87%
  • Actual Test!!: 694
Thoughts on Prep Materials
  • PsychPrep Audio files: loved these. These were my first entrance into studying, and I found them very helpful, relatively engaging, and approachable. Even without accompanying PsychPrep materials, these were really helpful.
  • PrepJet: I bought the Basic subscription, and at this point I have had it for ~3.5 months. For this last few weeks, I upgraded to the Plus subscription to get the custom exams, since I had already taken the pre-made exams multiple times. I didn't actually use the custom exam feature except the night before, and even then, probably didn't need it. Basic was fine.
  • AATBS: I bought their package of two exams. In my opinion, NOT worth the money. They were WAY harder than Prepjet, which made my anxiety spike and just got in my head. The material was also way more specific than the actual exam was.
  • OPEPPP: I'm not sure if this was actually representative of the difficult of the real test, but it did make me feel way better before going in.
In terms of content, I found that prepjet covered pretty much everything I needed. Since it was concise and approachable, i was able to actually learn concepts rather than obsessing over details, and the concepts is what saved me on the actual exam (not the random details). During the actual exam, I was completely convinced i was failing (almost started crying in the bathroom halfway through), because the questions were poorly worded and the random details/research studies they asked about were ones I had never seen. The real test also used slightly different lingo/names for things than PrepJet OR the OPEPPP. HOWEVER, I think its a given that you are going to see questions on the real exam that you've never seen, and Prepjet did the most to help me make educated guesses.

Hi all! Long term lurker, first time replier to this post. I passed the EPPP today on my first try with a score of 650 (NY 87), so I wanted to just come on and share my experiences.

I used a variety of materials, from hand-me-down PsychPrep and AATBS written materials, to the domain quizzes from AATBS, practice tests from Academic Review, ASTBS, PsychPrep, as well as a one month subscription to PrepJet.

As many have said before me, I found AATBS written materials to be overwhelming and highly detailed, so I created initial study guides from those and supplemented with the written materials from PsychPrep. I enjoyed the audio files from AATBS and listened to those a few times, but I do best with written information anyway. After having a good understanding across the board, I read through the big 6 of the PrepJet summaries and took all the little quizzes, reviewing answers as I went.

I only took practices tests one time only with just reviewing my incorrect questions as needed because my goal was exposure to as many test questions and answers as possible. I was high sixties across the board for all the PsychPrep exams, never once reaching the 70 threshold. My diagnostic on PrepJet was 57, and the following were all above 70, between 70-79. I did pay for two PEPPOs and got an 84 and and 83, which I felt was most reflective of the exam scores, though the PrepJet tests were more reflective of the exam questions. On average, tests took me between 2-2.5 hours, and I never took more than 3.

Of the systems I used, I would say having my AATBS materials to create study guides followed by PrepJets summaries were by far the most helpful for me. And the practice tests for sure.

I should note, I have a tendency to over prepare and become anxious before the exam, so I needed to see the scores improve over time. A day an a half before the test, I got sick with a cold, but I decided to just take it and see how it went despite a little bit of trouble concentrating.

Day of the test, I took it early (because again, I knew if I waited to the middle of the day I would become more anxious). I knew about 20%, guessed on 25%, and narrowed and took an educated guess for the other 55%. I did flag a lot of questions as I went for it I thought it would be worth thinking about twice. If I didn't know it, I didn't flag it because any extra time wouldn't likely help me. I took my usual 2.5 hours to get through the questions, took a short 10-15 minute break to go to the restroom, get water, and grab a snack. Then as I was looking at my flagged questions, I started to get more anxious, so I said forget it about 10-15 flagged questions in and submitted. But it worked out for me, so I was glad to see that single piece of paper with a score with a sizable margin.

Good luck to all!!

Hi all! Long term lurker, first time replier to this post. I passed the EPPP today on my first try with a score of 650 (NY 87), so I wanted to just come on and share my experiences.
I just passed today as well with a 544 (NY 78)!! Congrats to us :soexcited:

As for my experience, I took it once before in April just using some handed down material and some old Academic Review practice tests and figured I'd give it a go. I ended up with a 405 (NY 67). So I signed up for PsychPrep's Basic Plus Package, and worked with one of their "email consultants" to modify their schedule since I wasn't planning on completing the entire 16 week program before re-trying...He was very good about setting up some structure with target scores and such, which I definitely needed. Overall, I completed the program up to Test D (4/5 of the tests available). I actually scored well below the target for that one (133/225 when the target was at least 145/225), so was nervous to take the test so soon after. The consultant actually recommended postponing the test and completing more of the program/signing up for an hour consultation, but since it was in like 2 days I said F it and just studied the wrong answers from Test D yesterday before taking it around 1pm today.

I thought looking at how people faired on the practice tests here definitely helped, and since I feel I scored relatively low maybe can help someone who's feeling down or overwhelmed about these specific practice tests. So anyway my first time scores were:

Test A (127/225) 56%
Test B (142/225) 63%
Test C (142/225) 63%
Test D (133/225) 59%

Beyond excited to be done, and thanks to everyone here for sharing their experiences!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone that has used PrepJet and passed: Did you just focus on the Big 6 or did you study all the domains? I just took the exam today and scored a 461 and wanting to figure out how to move forward.

My recent exam scores on Prep Jet before sitting for the exam were:
Exam 1: 68%
Exam 6: 66%
Exam 7: 67%

I don’t have access to my prepjet account anymore for practice test scores since my subscription expired months ago. By that time, my overall scores for practice exams were in the high 50s to high 60s But I took a lot of paper tests (no idea where they came from, they’ve been passed down for generations but some are at least as old as 2008). Likely AATBS, and I also had some reading materials from them (again, passed down). Paper practice tests were in the 60-75% range last time I took them.

I passed with 616 and 84 NY score. Very intermittently studied from Feb to now. Dealt with a lot of health issues and doctors and ER visits. I pushed it back 2-3 times before deciding I was over the stress. And I didn’t want to delay licensure anymore since I’m coming up on 1 year of supervised practice.

I echo what many have said, the practice tests were harder. Some questions were verbatim from from practice tests, but not a whole lot. Several questions I had NO CLUE what they were asking or what the answer choices were—easy to spot experimental questions but I still have my best educated guess.

Good luck to all!

I don’t have access to my prepjet account anymore for practice test scores since my subscription expired months ago. By that time, my overall scores for practice exams were in the high 50s to high 60s But I took a lot of paper tests (no idea where they came from, they’ve been passed down for generations but some are at least as old as 2008). Likely AATBS, and I also had some reading materials from them (again, passed down). Paper practice tests were in the 60-75% range last time I took them.

I passed with 616 and 84 NY score. Very intermittently studied from Feb to now. Dealt with a lot of health issues and doctors and ER visits. I pushed it back 2-3 times before deciding I was over the stress. And I didn’t want to delay licensure anymore since I’m coming up on 1 year of supervised practice.

I echo what many have said, the practice tests were harder. Some questions were verbatim from from practice tests, but not a whole lot. Several questions I had NO CLUE what they were asking or what the answer choices were—easy to spot experimental questions but I still have my best educated guess.

Good luck to all!
Thank you so much for sharing your process! It sounds like you ended up studying all domains not just Big 6, is that right?

For anyone that has used PrepJet and passed: Did you just focus on the Big 6 or did you study all the domains? I just took the exam today and scored a 461 and wanting to figure out how to move forward.

Sorry to hear about this! Even though I used both Prepjet and Psychprep, I DEFINITELY didn't only focus on the big 6. Call me a schoolie, but when I know an exam could potentially cover everything, I'm aiming to study everything for sure. I wanted to have my bases covered.

Thank you so much for sharing your process! It sounds like you ended up studying all domains not just Big 6, is that right?
I never fully made it through the lesson plans for all 11 of the domains. I went in order on their recommendations (which content areas were focused on more, and any I did poorly on). There are some I completely skipped because I mentally could not cram new info in. Essentially everything on developmental disorders and assessment. Assessment and test construction in general I skipped—felt I knew enough about test construction and stats from doing my thesis and dissertation. My consistently highest scoring domain was learning and development, so I focused on that less. In short, I focused on more than the big 6 but I cut corners. I didn’t care about the subjects I knew little about and would probably be no more than a couple questions on the exam. I did fully complete some at least one time through—ethics, clinical psychology (I believe this was broken into 2?), organizational, cultural, the brain and medications ones.

Sorry to hear about this! Even though I used both Prepjet and Psychprep, I DEFINITELY didn't only focus on the big 6. Call me a schoolie, but when I know an exam could potentially cover everything, I'm aiming to study everything for sure. I wanted to have my bases covered.
That's my next move - to study everything! Thank you for your response!

I never fully made it through the lesson plans for all 11 of the domains. I went in order on their recommendations (which content areas were focused on more, and any I did poorly on). There are some I completely skipped because I mentally could not cram new info in. Essentially everything on developmental disorders and assessment. Assessment and test construction in general I skipped—felt I knew enough about test construction and stats from doing my thesis and dissertation. My consistently highest scoring domain was learning and development, so I focused on that less. In short, I focused on more than the big 6 but I cut corners. I didn’t care about the subjects I knew little about and would probably be no more than a couple questions on the exam. I did fully complete some at least one time through—ethics, clinical psychology (I believe this was broken into 2?), organizational, cultural, the brain and medications ones.
I'm thinking of reviewing the Big 6 domains but also studying Social, Learning, and maybe a little bit of the other domains left. Thank you for your response!

I almost exclusively studied the big 6, but toward the end reviewed social psych as well. Didn't bother at all with research design or stats. My biggest battle was anxiety. I took a 60 sec break every 25 questions, focused my breathing, and didn't change any answers. Passed with a 561.

I’m curious to know how anybody made time to study for the EPPP? Currently a neuropsych fellow at an AMC working 55-60 hours per week and have no idea how I’m gonna squeeze in the time 😅

I’m curious to know how anybody made time to study for the EPPP? Currently a neuropsych fellow at an AMC working 55-60 hours per week and have no idea how I’m gonna squeeze in the time 😅
Some supervisors or programs might be accepting of studying during work hours as professional development activities. I recognize it might be hard with back-to-back appointments. I studied during cancellations/no-shows sometimes. I've heard of people listening to PsychPrep audio on commutes or using the app during down-time for quick study breaks (‎EPPP Pocket Prep). I was not able to study in evenings after work myself, so I scheduled regular time on the weekends (Sat morning usually to get it done and then move on to the weekend). It wasn't as intensive as it could be, but just budgeting 3-4 hours regularly on the weekend did it for me.

You gotta set a boundary bro. 60 hours a week is dumb. Either get faster/more efficient or don't let this place take advantage of you so hard.

Reactions: 6 users
Just passed it today! Neuropsych fellow at a hospital, doing kid rotation now. Study a little here and there. I put the kid on conners or cpt and get on Quizlet. Use smart phrase on epic to be faster and go home on time. Old supervisors can be very inefficient. Just gotta find short cuts when you can.

Jealous of those in the VA they get 3 days or a week off before test to study. Military post docs get a month off.

I feel eppp is more like a reading comprehension test with educated guess. Good luck!

I passed it earlier this week! I wanted to share my experience as someone who went directly from internship to a staff VA position and did not have much structured work time set aside for studying. My goal was to study just enough to pass, which meant a lot of listening to recordings when I happened to have some spare time in clinic and setting aside time on weekends for bigger "chunks" of study time (2-3 hours) in the month before the exam.

I used some recent-ish study materials passed down from a colleague from internship, mostly PsychPrep audio and practice tests with some of the AATBS materials as well. I began "studying" about 2 months before the exam by listening to the audios and taking a practice exam here and there. I more seriously studied 1 month before the exam by making study guides of terms and concepts I knew I should know from the different domains and more intentionally scheduling my practice exams.

I started out with scoring 67.5% on my first PsychPrep test (test 3... I took them in a totally random order) and saw my scores improve from the upper 60's to upper 70's over the two months. I did not repeat taking any tests because I didn't want practice effects to mislead me, so I took some of the AATBS tests as well. I took the SEPPPO a couple of days before the exam and scored 78% and took that as my sign that I was ready to take the real thing as scheduled.

The night before the exam, I talked through my list of definitions to my dog (she's a great listener) and then made sure I got enough sleep. Similar to others, I felt as if the actual exam was a bit easier than the practice exams I took. There were definitely some questions I felt I had never heard of, but also more questions than I was used to where I felt confident in my answer.

I ended up passing with a 606. I feel like the SEPPPO was probably a fairly accurate estimate of how I did on the actual exam.

I passed on Friday; 538. I studied AATBS, turned to Prepjet because AATBS was so expensive and it did not feel succinct enough.

I passed every prepjet test and quiz with 100% by the time I took the exam; I studied to understand and memorize. Relied upon memorization for about 45%.

DO NOT do the practice exams; I took the practice exams and failed them; they had questions that were OLD and were definitely not going to be on the exam. It gave me intense fear that I was going to fail, when I was probably okay before taking the practice exams.

I hated my experience of studying and working through this test; it was such a nightmare and hassle. Glad I am through for good.

Hello everyone, I just failed the EPPP with a score of 460. My lowest scores were on the Assessment and Diagnosis, Cognitive-Affective Bases of Behavior, and Social and Cultural Bases of Behavior. Does anyone have any study materials/study guides that might be helpful? I've taken practice tests on Prepjet but it's becoming expensive to keep up with. I've now started a study guide reviewing questions that I was unsure about from the first exam. However, I'm not certain I'll be taking the exact same version of the exam next time. I'd greatly appreciate any materials and/or advice you have!

Hello everyone, I just failed the EPPP with a score of 460. My lowest scores were on the Assessment and Diagnosis, Cognitive-Affective Bases of Behavior, and Social and Cultural Bases of Behavior. Does anyone have any study materials/study guides that might be helpful? I've taken practice tests on Prepjet but it's becoming expensive to keep up with. I've now started a study guide reviewing questions that I was unsure about from the first exam. However, I'm not certain I'll be taking the exact same version of the exam next time. I'd greatly appreciate any materials and/or advice you have!
I would highly recommend PsychPrep - the materials are pricey but they are excellent, and there are many different options. I have read (on here and elsewhere), that the Prepjet practice tests are much easier than the EPPP itself, so it may be worth your while to shift to a different platform that is more challenging. I would also recommend taking the SEPPO exams if you did not previously take them. There are also several facebook groups, one that I was a part of while studying is titled Hack the EPPP

I would highly recommend PsychPrep - the materials are pricey but they are excellent, and there are many different options. I have read (on here and elsewhere), that the Prepjet practice tests are much easier than the EPPP itself, so it may be worth your while to shift to a different platform that is more challenging. I would also recommend taking the SEPPO exams if you did not previously take them. There are also several facebook groups, one that I was a part of while studying is titled Hack the EPPP
Thank you so much for the resources! Someone else encouraged me to use PsychPrep as well. I'm in the process of signing up for it now and will check out the FB groups too. Hoping you have a Happy New Year

Hi all! Thanks so much for this helpful thread. I'm leaning toward using AATBS and had some questions for those who used them, as well as if people would recommend the digital materials versus the printed books:

1) I see on AATBS there's a self pace option of three months. Is it possible to go at your own speed and review the materials in faster than three months if you're using the digital option? Also a bit confused about three month access for the printed materials - would there be online resources you could only use for three months in addition to the printed materials?

2) If you used the digital format, did you find it user friendly in terms of note-taking and things like that? Generally I like pencil and paper to avoid just staring at blocks of text on a computer screen, but I wanted to see if people felt that the online version was user friendly.

3) Did you use any other practice exams in addition to the AATBS ones? Which ones would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

Hello all. I am scheduled to take the EPPP in three weeks. I am scoring in the high 60s to mid 70s on all my practice tests (I have recently been taking two a week). What were other people scoring before they passed the real exam? Also, the practice tests I am using are academic ...thnx
thnx for qestion

Passed the EPPP a couple weeks ago with a 700. I used PsychPrep (notes and tests) and a retired test over the course of 2 months studying around 10-12 hours per week. I did the tests in order as recommended by PsychPrep but didn't do all the test taking modes for C, D, and E. I took the retired test a couple days before taking the EPPP and scored 80%.

Test ATest BTest CTest DTest E
Study Mode
61​
63​
63​
n/a​
n/a​
Retake
80​
86​
87​
n/a​
n/a​
Test Mode
88​
90​
n/a​
67​
76​

Good luck to all!

Hi all! Thanks so much for this helpful thread. I'm leaning toward using AATBS and had some questions for those who used them, as well as if people would recommend the digital materials versus the printed books:

1) I see on AATBS there's a self pace option of three months. Is it possible to go at your own speed and review the materials in faster than three months if you're using the digital option? Also a bit confused about three month access for the printed materials - would there be online resources you could only use for three months in addition to the printed materials?

2) If you used the digital format, did you find it user friendly in terms of note-taking and things like that? Generally I like pencil and paper to avoid just staring at blocks of text on a computer screen, but I wanted to see if people felt that the online version was user friendly.

3) Did you use any other practice exams in addition to the AATBS ones? Which ones would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.
Hello! I am using AATBS. I bought a 9 month package with printed materials. All of the online resources are available for the full 9 months. Plus, AATBS offers a 90 day extension if, at the end of your package, you do not feel ready. I did not purchase any coaching or additional workshops - everything is at my own pace. I have been using the package for a little over three months and am preparing to take the exam this week. I may have overbought in terms of time, but when I bought the package there was a huge discount and I figured it would be way cheaper to overbuy in the beginning than to buy a shorter package and then need to purchase additional time later. I would welcome the problem of having almost 6 months left of my test prep that I don't need to use over not passing 😂 I suppose I could always find someone interested in using it.

The only resources that you have limited use of are the initial assessment exam (you can only do this once) and the final simulation exams (there are two forms of the exam, which you can take in both study and test mode - making for four attempts). Otherwise, there is unlimited use of audio, notes, section quizzes, domain quizzes, and 8 practice tests (which you can take in untimed or with a timer running like during the actual EPPP). Even though I did not do a live study workshop, there is a pre recorded study workshop in the materials as well.

I downloaded the free expired test questions but did not use them, and instead took a sample EPPP online test through ASPPB this weekend and got a passing score. I found it was good preparation, as I was able to become familiar with the functionality of the program for test day (highlighting, striking out, moving through the test items, etc.) and perhaps get a sense how items may be worded differently than my test materials. This at least helped with the anxiety management piece. Overall, even though I haven't taken the exam yet, my AATBS practice tests felt similar to the ASPPB SEPPO so I am feeling confident that I picked the appropriate test prep program for me.

I took the EPPP on January 23rd and passed with a score of 570 (equivalent to 77% in Alberta). I was in shock and disbelief. It's true, you can pass on your 1st attempt!

I relied heavily on the advice and scores from folks on this forum, so I am pleased to share my tracking & methods below. We all need as much encouragement as we can get, and as you can see, I started out with really low marks (indicated in red). I continued to score below 70 on most subjects (except re-tests and domain quizzes). However, over 3 months (Sept-Dec) I improved my overall score by 20%.
1707257504664.png

I originally purchased 6-mos of the online AATBS study package (tests, audio, domain quizzes, study material) and found the package highly comprehensive. An AATBS rep provided my 3 months for free when I wasn't ready to write in October as part of their promo deal. I thought I would use the online textbooks but found that after 2 years of online-heavy masters' program and the pandemic, I just learned better with printed text so I bought the physical textbooks and flashcards. I read the textbooks first, made copious notes in the margins, and wrote out my own MC questions as I went. I "casually" studied from May to October, and more seriously studied from November - January with one test every week or every other week. In January, I covered my house in one-pagers of each topic and post-it notes for questions I missed after review (one room/area per domain; e.g., fridge = meds). I only used the flash cards for the last month or so, but I found these incredibly helpful for memorization, especially when I would look at a handful and then do an exercise (I have VR - so I would play a flow/boxing game to boost my sensory encoding while saying what I recalled from the cards out loud), and repeat.

I also used:
  • study partner (1 hour/week sharing Qs and strategies from diff. study programs);
  • signed up for FREE Taylor, Academic Prep, Prepjet trial periods in my last 2 weeks once my AATBS subscription ran out which gave me access to 3 different exams;
  • AATBS Pocket Prep (free version except 1 month paid in Dec-Jan to unlock mass questions - $29/mos and totally worth it for ease of access to Qs while traveling, waiting, bored, etc.)
I've heard others' say that it's more important to know HOW to take the test than memorization. Unfortunately, I am a poor test taker, so I relied heavily on memorization to get through the test and keywording (imagery + word) or acronyms or songs. I took the PEPPO 3 weeks prior to the test and scored 65%. I never received higher than 68 on any AATBS test/exam , so believe me when I say please do not be discouraged with your marks if you're getting marks in the 50s/60s!

I took the EPPP on January 23rd and passed with a score of 570 (equivalent to 77% in Alberta). I was in shock and disbelief. It's true, you can pass on your 1st attempt!

I relied heavily on the advice and scores from folks on this forum, so I am pleased to share my tracking & methods below. We all need as much encouragement as we can get, and as you can see, I started out with really low marks (indicated in red). I continued to score below 70 on most subjects (except re-tests and domain quizzes). However, over 3 months (Sept-Dec) I improved my overall score by 20%.
View attachment 382104
I originally purchased 6-mos of the online AATBS study package (tests, audio, domain quizzes, study material) and found the package highly comprehensive. An AATBS rep provided my 3 months for free when I wasn't ready to write in October as part of their promo deal. I thought I would use the online textbooks but found that after 2 years of online-heavy masters' program and the pandemic, I just learned better with printed text so I bought the physical textbooks and flashcards. I read the textbooks first, made copious notes in the margins, and wrote out my own MC questions as I went. I "casually" studied from May to October, and more seriously studied from November - January with one test every week or every other week. In January, I covered my house in one-pagers of each topic and post-it notes for questions I missed after review (one room/area per domain; e.g., fridge = meds). I only used the flash cards for the last month or so, but I found these incredibly helpful for memorization, especially when I would look at a handful and then do an exercise (I have VR - so I would play a flow/boxing game to boost my sensory encoding while saying what I recalled from the cards out loud), and repeat.

I also used:
  • study partner (1 hour/week sharing Qs and strategies from diff. study programs);
  • signed up for FREE Taylor, Academic Prep, Prepjet trial periods in my last 2 weeks once my AATBS subscription ran out which gave me access to 3 different exams;
  • AATBS Pocket Prep (free version except 1 month paid in Dec-Jan to unlock mass questions - $29/mos and totally worth it for ease of access to Qs while traveling, waiting, bored, etc.)
I've heard others' say that it's more important to know HOW to take the test than memorization. Unfortunately, I am a poor test taker, so I relied heavily on memorization to get through the test and keywording (imagery + word) or acronyms or songs. I took the PEPPO 3 weeks prior to the test and scored 65%. I never received higher than 68 on any AATBS test/exam , so believe me when I say please do not be discouraged with your marks if you're getting marks in the 50s/60s!
Congratulations!

Hi everyone! I benefited greatly from reading about the experiences, practice scores, and EPPP final scores of people who have posted in this thread. Thank you for this! My test is coming up this weekend and while I am feeling a bit more confident now, I am still a bit nervous. Any tips for the last few days would be apprectiated! I will briefly mention my experience and scores below.

I have studied for about 2 months, during which the pacing has been consistent. I have logged around 180 to 200 hrs by now (started with 14 to 20 hrs per week and gradually increased to 20 to 30 hrs per week).

I studied first using Psychprep's full package and after Test C also enrolled in Prepjet's basic package to interleave tests and get exposure to information not included in Psychprep's study materials. My primary method of of studying included exposure (just passively reading and NOT trying to memorize) and then immediately testing the next day through quizzes (leveraging the Testing Effect), and some visual imagery techniques. This took about a month, following which I began to write the practice exams.

My scores on the practice tests were as follows (all written in Test Mode on the first attempt):

PsychPrep:
A: 74%
B: 72%
C: 70%
Workshop: 71%
D: 71%
E: 80%

Prepjet (written out of order):
Diagnostic test (written after I had taken A, B, and C on Psychprep): 52%
1: 77%
4: 72%
2: 81%
3: 74%
5: 80%
6: 78%

SEPPPO (written after 4 weeks of studying): 78%
SEPPP (written at the test center last Friday): 85%

I am feeling more confident than I was but still quite nervous. So if you have any advice for the last few days, please share. Thanks!

Hi everyone! I benefited greatly from reading about the experiences, practice scores, and EPPP final scores of people who have posted in this thread. Thank you for this! My test is coming up this weekend and while I am feeling a bit more confident now, I am still a bit nervous. Any tips for the last few days would be apprectiated! I will briefly mention my experience and scores below.

I have studied for about 2 months, during which the pacing has been consistent. I have logged around 180 to 200 hrs by now (started with 14 to 20 hrs per week and gradually increased to 20 to 30 hrs per week).

I studied first using Psychprep's full package and after Test C also enrolled in Prepjet's basic package to interleave tests and get exposure to information not included in Psychprep's study materials. My primary method of of studying included exposure (just passively reading and NOT trying to memorize) and then immediately testing the next day through quizzes (leveraging the Testing Effect), and some visual imagery techniques. This took about a month, following which I began to write the practice exams.

My scores on the practice tests were as follows (all written in Test Mode on the first attempt):

PsychPrep:
A: 74%
B: 72%
C: 70%
Workshop: 71%
D: 71%
E: 80%

Prepjet (written out of order):
Diagnostic test (written after I had taken A, B, and C on Psychprep): 52%
1: 77%
4: 72%
2: 81%
3: 74%
5: 80%
6: 78%

SEPPPO (written after 4 weeks of studying): 78%
SEPPP (written at the test center last Friday): 85%

I am feeling more confident than I was but still quite nervous. So if you have any advice for the last few days, please share. Thanks!
Just keep hitting your practice items. You sound ready.

My advice for the day before the test - don't study. Do something enjoyable and active. Two days before, drive the route to the testing center and sit in the parking lot/waiting room (if brave enough) until you relax a little.

Hi everyone,

Here is my update: I wrote the exam yesterday and scored 655.

My impressions (to be taken with a grain of salt):

1. The test itself is a stiff challenge but when one is prepared, you cannot accurately gauge how other people will feel when they write it. So anyone who insists that they found it easy, or easier than practice tests, or hard, or harder than practice tests, is simply giving you a tiny window into their level of readiness, knowledge, anxiety, cognitive flexibility, processing speed, and working memory ability (a bit more on this below). People who have to take this exam already belong to a group that was highly selected for a variety of cognitive abilities, and this test attempts to distinguish even among this highly select group of people. Thus, the test is not going to feel friendly when you write it, but it is not going to feel like a test in Physics either. It is a difficult test with VERY good face validity (I know this is not the popular opinion). So here is what I would recommend you remember while you prepare: how you feel while you write both the practice tests and the EPPP is uncorrelated (or weakly correlated) with how you will perform. Therefore, DO NOT worry about whether the test feels more difficult or less difficult than practice tests. Your PERFORMANCE on practice tests IS predictive of your performance on EPPP. So focus on that instead.

2. Now for language: the test is written in a manner that prevents people from remembering afterwards the precise content they were tested on. The language is abstract and conceptual more than it is direct and concrete. This makes it difficult and annoying for many people (myself included). But I don’t begrudge the test writers this because it ensures that the test items are not going to be shared and to thereby render the test useless.

3. EPPP emphasizes cross-modal/domain analysis and synthesis much more than practice tests do. The version I wrote did not have more than 5 to 10 items that were so simple that 100% of psych graduates would answer them correctly. Every question required a different combination of knowledge, processing speed, cognitive flexibility, attention to details, and reasoning. It appears to me a psychometrically sound test with questionable grammar.

4. Several people in this thread mentioned that while they were able to write the practice exams in 2 to 3 hours, they were surprised that they needed the whole time on the EPPP. So my recommendation is this: do not fly through your practice exams when you are not anxious and nothing is at stake. Take the full 4 hours and 15 mins or close to it for every practice exam you take and try to get as high a score as you possibly can as though it was the real thing. This will build stamina and also help you to avoid panic on the test day when you notice that you are not going as fast as you did while practicing.

5. If you are an anxious person (like me), I recommend shooting for more than pass score on the EPPP. People who are comfortable with studying just enough to pass (500) tend to be people who are not very anxious and perform and feel on the test day similar to while they study. So use over-preparing as a weapon against anxiety on test day and a motivator to score 600 or more. This translates into minimum 2 to 3 months of easily paced, relaxed, consistent, 20 hours or so every week, of studying without feeling like it is a chore.

6. I think the thing that helped me most (but also made me feel quite alone), was that I enjoyed studying for the EPPP unlike most people. We are all specialists in our narrow fields, so to brush up and gain more knowledge in other fields was refreshing. This attitude made the studying process much easier and enjoyable. Having said that, I did not enjoy the fact that this knowledge may not be adequate for me to beat the EPPP. That, I took, as a parallel challenge, that I also had to master.

7. Studying methods that work differ for people, but there are some universals: distributed learning and testing effect. To these two I will add exercise, sleep, and reducing retroactive interference. I recommend exercising (cardio and strength training) after each study session or practice test session. This method has an outsized effect on cognition and physical health. You can pass the test without exercising at all, but that would be like running a marathon while attaching weights to your ankles and having an injured leg. Very few things will improve your scores with as little effort and as big of an impact as exercising (or sleeping) right after study sessions, sleeping well, and removing most sources of retroactive interference.

8. The approach of neglecting one of the domains on the EPPP is a gamble. Again, one can pass while using this strategy, but for people who are highly anxious, you want to master all domains to an adequate level. This will do wonders for you on the day of the test when you start feeling panic rising.

On a final note, I will leave you with this: consider EPPP not to be an unfair, monstrous, ordeal; instead, consider it a challenge and a match that you WILL win. You will not necessarily like the feelings that arise while writing the test. But if you are prepared, probability of winning is very high.

That is something to look forward to.

Cheers!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi all,

Current 1st year neuropsych post-doc in an AMC. I am over the moon to pass the EPPP on my first attempt this week with a 688 (NY 90)! I was never going to motivate myself to do the long-haul 3-6 months of studying suggested by some folks and the test prep companies, so I intensely studied the last 6 weeks. I would estimate I studied at least 30 hours per week (~180-200 hours total), which was a combination of active studying (e.g., reading materials), passive studying (e.g., listening to recordings on my commute or when working out), and taking practice exams.

My test prep strategy, materials, and thoughts are below:
  • PsychPrep Basic Package:My hospital purchases a 6-month package for all fellows as part of our benefits package, and I feel that the practice exams and quizzes were worth it, though I don't know if I would have shelled out $700 for the basic for 6 months given that it doesn't include reading materials or audio aside from the practice workshops. I listened to one workshop and did not find it overly helpful, as the pacing of the speaker was too slow for my liking.
    • PsychPrrep's exams and quizzes in the basic package felt pretty similar to the EPPP version I took. I began studying by taking Test A without doing any review and got exactly 50%. I had an upward trajectory across my exams and took them in the suggested sequence but was not hitting the 200+ suggested for the final versions, but I was hovering around 75-80% on retakes. I like how the questions were explained and I felt like I learned a lot about why I got questions wrong.
  • AATBS: I purchased a month's worth of access to their audio recordings and can honestly say for my passive study approach this was worth every penny (I had a coupon so it was $200). I listened to some tracks probably 4 or 5 times over the month, whereas others that were more in my existing strengths (e.g., test development) I listened to just once. They did not cover all topics on the exam, but they are a solid starting point. I also spent $150 to get the "final practice exams," which felt like basically two distinct exams as "practice" and two "final final" exams, which recycled some of the questions in the first two exams and some other new questions.
    • For the AATBS final practice exams, I never scored above a 75% total correct, and it felt like the questions on these practice exams were significantly harder than the exam I took. I did not personally find the way these questions were reviewed to be helpful (they often just explained why one answer was right and then for the other three answers said "see the correct answer." It was worth it for my anxiety, though, to have some different exams to take from the week of my exam given I had seen the PsychPrep exams 2 or 3 times, but I was honestly not that impressed...
  • Behavioral Health Pocket Prep app: I purchased 1 month of subscription for my phone at $21, and it was SOOOO worth it. It was nice to have an app on my phone where I could take questions in small chunks (e.g., question of the day and 10 question quizzes), and it had its own practice exam of 225 questions (I did get 86% on this a few weeks before my exam). This was great for weird down-time at work, especially!
  • EPPP Fundamentals Book: I accidentally purchased an older version of this book from 2014 from Amazon for about $70, but the old version was fine except for some language and updates related to the DSM-V and DSM-V-TR. Other then that, the other domains were spot on with the areas I needed to learn for the exam and I appreciated the quizzes at the end of each chapter and the 100-question exam at the end of the book (I got about a 70% on this a few weeks before exam day).
  • ASPBB online practice exams: I took both practice exams (100 Qs each) online the two weeks leading up to the exam. This was $30 per online exam. This was really important since the ASBPP online practice (which you can do in-person) was directly mimicking the real software that would be used on the exam, which test companies cannot accurately mimmic.
I definitely agree with posts above that reframing my own anger at the stupidity relevance of some content area and framing it as a chance to brush up on old topics helped me enjoy studying. I also talked a lot with my partner and colleagues about exam material I was learning and tried to link it to everyday situations to have as many mental representations of abstract content that I could have. And, likewise, although I did rush through most practice exams (2.5 hours or less), I took the majority of my time on the actual exam, including taking a 10 minute break around question 110, as well as reviewing all questions after I was done (I actually did catch myself making two errors in reading the questions).

Good luck to anyone studying for the exam! You got this!!!

Last edited:
I just passed with a 733 today! I tend to be a good test taker even without studying, but here's how I approached it for reference (since I found everyone's accounts so helpful). I listened to PsychPrep audio on and off for about 4 months on drives, long walks, and while doing chores. Starting about 2.5 months ago, I also studied on weekends, usually taking Saturday to do a practice test and Sunday to go over my correct and incorrect answers. I spent about 3-6 hours studying each weekend, using secondhand practice tests. I didn't read much printed material because I couldn't really motivate myself to read dry lists of information, but I re-listened to audio sections that had content I tended to get incorrect more often, and googled/watched YouTube videos about a few trickier concepts.
I think I scored a 58 on PsychPrep test A before studying. When I reached a point where I felt like most domains were at least somewhat familiar to me, I got a 72 on Test E. Then I discouraged myself by getting a 61 on an Academic Review test two days before taking the EPPP. Finally, I got an 81% on the 250 retired items yesterday.

I'd recommend listening to study audio as early and as often as possible because it's easy and it really helps when combined with other study methods. Even if you only retain 5% of it on your first pass, that familiarity really helps build knowledge over time. I also just want to offer reassurance: if you generally test well and went to a PhD/psyd program that prepared you well, you likely do not need to spend hundreds of dollars on new materials and hundreds of hours studying to pass.

Hello everyone. I found this thread extremely helpful as I considered my readiness for the EPPP. So, I thought I'd share my practice test scores through PsychPrep and my EPPP score - I passed yesterday with 577!

Test A Study: 111
Test A Retake (2x): 178
Test A Test: 197

Test B Study: 105
Test B Retake: 174
Test B Test: 191

Test C Study: 100
Test C Retake (2x): 205
Test C Test: did not take

Test D Study: 139
Test D Retake: 185
Test D Test: did not take

Test E Study: did not take
Test E Retake: did not take
Test E Test: 132

I also completed the online PEPPO and scored 70%. And I used the Behavioral Health app for daily quizzes for a week and completed their full practice test and scored 76%.

I spent about 5 months working through these tests, the chapter quizzes, etc. The Workshop was extremely helpful. I met with a consultant 1-1 to go over my test taking strategies. Those skills are the most important factor. My Test C score jump is due to using the strategies consistently. And I think my EPPP score testifies to that as well. I was extremely nervous for the exam, but I told myself: 1. I need to see where I'm at with the real thing and 2. I think I have more of a chance than not of passing. Turns out I was right!

Happy to share that I scored a 727 this week! I studied for about 3.5 months total (~10-12 hours/week). I used the AATBS subscription for three months and PrepJet for 1 month (overlapping with AATBS for two weeks). I took all the practice tests in both programs a couple of times. I never scored above a 70% of any of the exams when I took them the first time (even the ones I took about 3-4 weeks out from the exam). Generally was scoring in the low-mid 60s on first attempts. Would always review questions afterwards and try to study the areas that I was not performing well in. I also used the Behavioral Health app for three months and tried to complete some questions everyday when I was sitting around. Ultimately, I think PrepJet was my preferred study program because it is much more concise than ATTBS but I am glad that I used both programs as I liked having two different sets of practice tests and quizzes to use.

I took the SEPPPO at home the weekend before my EPPP and scored an 81. I was relieved and felt like I must be ready to take the real thing. Highly recommend taking that to get a feel for the interface of the exam and the wording/types of questions to expect.

Good luck to everyone!

Passed my EPPP yesterday with a 670 on my third attempt, wanted to thank all of you for the support through this journey. I used a combination of AATBS and PrepJet in my first two attempts but thankfully was able to get funding from my employer for 1:1 tutoring through Dr. David's EPPP Tutoring Service and that really made the difference for me. I used Dr. David's practice tests and found their questions to be most similar to the actual exam of all the other programs I tried in the past. This is a test that is as much about learning content as it is learning about the test itself. Definitely have had some anxiety related to this thing over the last couple years but so so happy to cross this final hurdle. Best of luck to all, you can do it!

• Love
I passed the EPPP on my second attempt last week with a 522! ❤️ I started to give up before retaking the exam but pressed on. For those of you who are feeling discouraged, please know that it's possible to pass it with determination. I'd upload my scores from PsychPrep but I cancelled the expensive (but extremely helpful) subscription right away! Oh, the EPPP AATBS volume books were super super helpful too. Wishing everyone else the very best!

• Love
I am so proud to announce that I passed the EPPP on 4/22 with a 566 on my first attempt! To say the journey was long would be a major understatement, as I studied for around 200 hours. I used AATBS as my primary up until March when I decided to add Prepjet. The AATBS volumes were super dense and hard to get through, but I fortunately had study guide summaries passed down to me that were more digestible. My exam scores were mostly mid to high 50s, which was incredibly discouraging. Granted, I didn’t always complete each test in only one sitting and the environment was noisy. Most of those tests were taken prior to the new year. I was frustrated that AATBS was so covert about what your scores should be to feel ready. The posts on EPPP practice test scores of those who passed on the Student Doctor Network forum and the Prepjet Facebook page were so reassuring and gave me somewhat of a frame of reference. I was very pleased with my addition of Prepjet. The practice exam subdomain scores were helpful and the summaries were so much more approachable. My exam scores on their practice tests were higher and I primarily focused on just the Big 6 domains. I believe these scores, my final exam simulation, and the PEPPPO were most representative of my true score.

Overall, I logically knew I had the knowledge to pass after all the months I’d studied for. However, I had unbearable test anxiety since the beginning of studying and leading up to the day I took it. There were so many unknown variables that I couldn’t predict. I feared my ADHD and anxiety would make me run out of time, and it was too late to pursue the difficult to obtain accommodations. I woke up at 2:30AM the day of the exam and had a mental breakthrough, reframing the day as exciting because it would finally be time to be brave and take my life back from this beast. There were so many things I cast aside or neglected in my life for this test, and never having to think about it again was my biggest incentive.

The exam itself felt less challenging than I expected, though certainly not easy. I recognized a fair amount of material from Prepjet and AATBS, and I think the PEPPPO was good to familiarize myself with the software. I remarkably didn’t feel like I was totally failing the entire time, and it was hard to tell which questions were experimental. When I was handed my single sheet of paper score report and knew I had passed, I nearly melted onto the floor. It still feels surreal that I no longer have to consume all my free time with studying. I can’t wait to destroy my study materials in a blaze of glory!
My practice test scores are below:

AATBS:
Exam 1: 53%
Exam 2: 58%
Exam 3: 64%
Exam 4: 57%
Exam 5: 56%
Exam 6: 59%
Exam 7: 52%
Exam 8: 62%
Final exam simulation 1: 68%
Final exam simulation 2: 73%