EPPP Study Buddy, Materials, or Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EPPPstudybuddy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am have been procrastinating with my studying for the EPPP due to fear. I did very poorly on my first practice tests, likely since I did my BA and Masters almost 10 years ago, then went into educational psychology for a PhD in 2014. I am open to any advice from those who were also out of school for a long time, study buddies to hold each other accountable, or recommended study materials. I have yet to set a date or study schedule since I am so terrified that I did not submit my license application!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Same. I need to buy study materials ASAP and I don't know what company to go with.

I have really old AATBS materials and I'm thinking of getting PsychPrep because it is supposedly more condensed which might help me stay on schedule and reduce anxiety. Let me know what you decide on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking my test next week. I have been relying on AATBS and Prepjet. I am tired of studying, reading, and memorizing everything, but I have no choice. I have been studying consistently since April. Right now, I am re-reading the AATBS material again and trying to retain everything I read. I am focusing on the ones I do not know but reviewing what I know.

I have not done well on my practice exams, so I avoid it only because it increases my anxiety and fears. I am focusing on content, as most of the theories and concepts are interrelated and can be easily confused or forgotten.
So I try to work on finding ways to remember the difference.

Eliminating unhealthy distraction is a plus. Study buddy always work for me, and I don't have one right now, but in the past, just talking to the other person for review was very helpful. It also holds me accountable.

Reactions: 1 users
I am taking my test next week. I have been relying on AATBS and Prepjet. I am tired of studying, reading, and memorizing everything, but I have no choice. I have been studying consistently since April. Right now, I am re-reading the AATBS material again and trying to retain everything I read. I am focusing on the ones I do not know but reviewing what I know.

I have not done well on my practice exams, so I avoid it only because it increases my anxiety and fears. I am focusing on content, as most of the theories and concepts are interrelated and can be easily confused or forgotten.

Eliminating unhealthy distraction is a plus. Study buddy always work for me, and I don't have one right now, but in the past, just talking to the other person for review was very helpful. It also holds me accountable.

Hi -
You are so close. Best of luck.

Polly

Content is obviously very important but so is test taking strategies. There are definitely some strategies that are helpful for this test. Hope you have been doing some research and practicing of those as well- and figuring out the strategies that decrease your anxiety and keep you focused. E.g. I knew I needed to force myself to take a 5 minute break after an hour and before looking over flagged questions. And to generally avoid chaingk g answers on flagged questions. Learning strategies generally and for yourself personally are key.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat as others who have posted above regarding a study-buddy. I ended up getting tutoring services where I have a session once a week. It's been OK but the issue is that meetings are done via phone (tutor and I live on opposite coasts). Colleagues of mine have suggested meeting with a tutor in-person but most that I have researched have no idea about the EPPP or even mental health providers. That all said, I'm happy to correspond with others if it can be beneficial for all parties.

As for study materials, I have used the AATBS books and online practice tests. I have not found them helpful for various reasons (practice questions are not similar enough to actually EPPP questions, too much content and bad presentation). I recently purchased a flash drive off Ebay that has audio lectures, practice questions from PsychPrep and other notes that are easier to read and absorb. Plus, as a personal opinion, stay away from workshops that these companies offer. They cost too much money and half the time they'll cancel events due to low anticipated attendance.

Hi all!

I'm about to take the EPPP next week and I came on to get some words of wisdom (and hopefully comfort). I've been studying consistently for about 3 months, and I've been using PsychPrep lectures while I drive and taking AATBS practice tests. I've most recently earned 68% on my last three practice exams (when I take them for the first time; when I take them a second time I'm scoring in the mid-to-high 80's). I'm at the point where I feel like I can't cram any more information in my head, but I'm worried my scores won't be good enough. Does anyone have any thoughts? What scores were you getting on practice tests before passing? I feel sick with anxiety!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Everyone. I’m new to the forum. I will test in August. I am using PSYCHPREP and AATBS. I’m scared because of the low pass rates that I’ve been hearing about. I will be studying over the weekend. Good luck to those with upcoming exams. ⭐️

Hi all!

I'm about to take the EPPP next week and I came on to get some words of wisdom (and hopefully comfort). I've been studying consistently for about 3 months, and I've been using PsychPrep lectures while I drive and taking AATBS practice tests. I've most recently earned 68% on my last three practice exams (when I take them for the first time; when I take them a second time I'm scoring in the mid-to-high 80's). I'm at the point where I feel like I can't cram any more information in my head, but I'm worried my scores won't be good enough. Does anyone have any thoughts? What scores were you getting on practice tests before passing? I feel sick with anxiety!

Thanks in advance!

EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

Hi Everyone, I am glad I am not alone.
I used ATTABS, PSYCHPREP, and still failed the exam.
I am going to use Academic Review now.
Lets see what happens.
I test again in 8 weeks.

I had to reschedule my EPPP to a month later (July to August).

I have been studying, but haven't taken many practice tests and Post-doc is killing me now since we went from a team of three to a team of me.

I think I am just more pissed I had to reschedule, really wanted to be over with this process. Grrrr

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up postponing my exam to end of July. I took a month off from work because there was no way that I could study after work since I work a 4/10 schedule plus I have other obligations to take care of. I have been focusing on practice test questions because I realize that is my problem area. I was not reading the questions carefully and therefore, was answering wrong. My scores are now about 58-59% versus 47-53% that I had before. I would say that I am improving. I am taking two tests a week in exam mode. And then I use another test to answer about 50 questions a day throughout the week. I also need to review content domain and remember some things I forgot..

I am also attending the AATBS workshop coming up. I was told a lot of good things about it.

Anyone have any additional input to share?

I have been studying, but haven't taken many practice tests and Post-doc is killing me now since we went from a team of three to a team of me.

I think I am just more pissed I had to reschedule, really wanted to be over with this process. Grrrr

Rescheduling sucks. I have been doing that 7 times since last year. I would recommend focusing on a schedule and relaxation techniques.

Oh, what a nightmare. I'm angry for you.

Please update us on your experience at the AATBS workshop. I hope you find it beneficial.

I highly recommend it!!!! It was very helpful and my practice test scores went up 8-10 percent. I learned a lot and wished I went before.

I recommend this workshop at least 2-3 weeks before your test date to retain and keep information fresh in your head.

I highly recommend it!!!! It was very helpful and my practice test scores went up 8-10 percent. I learned a lot and wished I went before.

I recommend this workshop at least 2-3 weeks before your test date to retain and keep information fresh in your head.

Wow, that's such great news! I'm glad you found it helpful. Better late than never. :) I think a workshop would help me feel more confident going in on test day. How many days was the workshop you attended?

Thank you for the feedback!

Wow, that's such great news! I'm glad you found it helpful. Better late than never. :) I think a workshop would help me feel more confident going in on test day. How many days was the workshop you attended?

Thank you for the feedback!

It is 4 days. Check out their website and you can see the list if dates and locations coming up. Keep in mind, it is 4 long days. It’s better to have read the materials before going in. And better to sign up when they have the $150 off special. They usually have it before the upcoming workshop. Also, you should sign up so you can get updates if you haven’t.

And I agree, the workshop made me feel “ready” than before.

It is 4 days. Check out their website and you can see the list if dates and locations coming up. Keep in mind, it is 4 long days. It’s better to have read the materials before going in. And better to sign up when they have the $150 off special. They usually have it before the upcoming workshop. Also, you should sign up so you can get updates if you haven’t.

And I agree, the workshop made me feel “ready” than before.

Sooo much helpful information, thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

Hi all,

I have been studying with AATBS since August and my scores really go up and down quite a bit... (I started at 37...highest I have gotten so far is a 68 and today I got a 55. It's been really discouraging. Any advice or encouragement? I am feeling so blah.

Hi all,

I have been studying with AATBS since August and my scores really go up and down quite a bit... (I started at 37...highest I have gotten so far is a 68 and today I got a 55. It's been really discouraging. Any advice or encouragement? I am feeling so blah.
I'm studying with aatbs too. No advice but just thought I would joint in... Misery loves company!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I am planning to buy AATBS Testmaster, does anyone want to split the cost. I am also open if anyone else already has it and wants to share. Please PM me and I'll get back.