ER Applications / Timeline confusion - need some clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boolin_1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay this is going to be a long one. I am currently a 3rd year preparing to tackle this beast called VSAS/ERAS in a few months. And I am going to be honest that I have absolutely NO idea how this timeline works. I get very little clarifying information from my school about this, and the information I do get is often wrong (so I've been told by 4th years). I may come off sounding dumb but I hope there are others who will read this and think "I was also confused but too afraid to ask". I am going to do it in the template of an ER application because it's most applicable to me right now.

FROM MY UNDERSTANDING (probably wrong tbh), this is the timeline.
1) VSAS opens in late Jan/early Feb and this is for scheduling audition rotations in the fall of your 4th year
2) apply and secure audition spots
3) do my end-of-3rd year electives in ER to obtain SLOE's (at least 2)
4) ERAS opens in late July or something
5) apply to residencies through ERAS
6) start my audition rotations in August-ish

This is where I drop off, and my confusion is at an all time high:
When I start auditions, they are essentially month-long interviews for residency, correct? So I have to apply through ERAS to the places that I am already doing auditions at? And they will do the interview at the end of the rotation?

So when submitting ERAS, I will also be applying to (in this example: ER) a bunch of programs. Do each of these programs that want to interview me also want some sort of audition rotation? If so, how is that even possible.

Is it possible to interview for an ER residency without doing an audition? I was told that it wasn't possible as a DO student. If that's the case, then what's the point of even applying to more than I am auditioning at?

If someone could just clarify some of these things, that would be fantastic. I also apologize if some of these questions sound *****ic.

Members don't see this ad.

Current MS4 here. Just my input.

Apply for VSAS auditions as soon as they open, keep track of the dates, apply early means higher chances of getting an audition. Also, update your immunizations and certifications for the year, because they'll ask for it in the VSAS applications.

Get at least one (preferably two) auditions before September so they can write SLOE's for you before the Sept. 15th ERAS opening (one sloe is all you need by ERAS opening, and you can upload the 2nd/3rd one later).

Auditions are month long interviews, so be on your best A-game at all times. You have to apply via ERAS to the places you did auditions in order to be considered for residency. Some auditions will interview during audition, some will not. They will tell you.

When submitting ERAS, programs that interview you do not require auditions, this is not possible. It is basically an interview. It is possible to interview an ER residency without auditioning for them. Apply to programs that have/had accepted DO's.

Auditions are used to write SLOE's (among other things). You need minimum one, preferably two, and maximize chances with three SLOE's. Let me know if you have any other questions. Others can chime in/correct me if needed.

Reactions: 2 users
The other poster did a great job but just to clarify your timeline ERAS opens Sept 15th. That’s when programs can start viewing your application. You need your SLOE’s before this date, so June-August.
In July EM has the standardized video interview. Totally separate weird process from the rest of ERAS. But that doesn’t bear on the dates for the rest of your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current MS4 here. Just my input.

Apply for VSAS auditions as soon as they open, keep track of the dates, apply early means higher chances of getting an audition. Also, update your immunizations and certifications for the year, because they'll ask for it in the VSAS applications.

Get at least one (preferably two) auditions before September so they can write SLOE's for you before the Sept. 15th ERAS opening (one sloe is all you need by ERAS opening, and you can upload the 2nd/3rd one later).

Auditions are month long interviews, so be on your best A-game at all times. You have to apply via ERAS to the places you did auditions in order to be considered for residency. Some auditions will interview during audition, some will not. They will tell you.

When submitting ERAS, programs that interview you do not require auditions, this is not possible. It is basically an interview. It is possible to interview an ER residency without auditioning for them. Apply to programs that have/had accepted DO's.

Auditions are used to write SLOE's (among other things). You need minimum one, preferably two, and maximize chances with three SLOE's. Let me know if you have any other questions. Others can chime in/correct me if needed.

thank you so so much. This clarifies quite a bit for me. It's garbage that I am unable to get this info from my school but it be like that sometimes I guess.

what is the average number of auditions 3rd years apply for? imagine if this was IM or EM since I'm also a little bit torn

thank you so so much. This clarifies quite a bit for me. It's garbage that I am unable to get this info from my school but it be like that sometimes I guess.

what is the average number of auditions 3rd years apply for? imagine if this was IM or EM since I'm also a little bit torn
I did about 10 programs to get 3 auditions but it wasn't in ER. I have heard as high as 50.