ERAS and MIP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alynnw288

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been asked several times before, but the answers seem to be conflicting. I received an MIP 7 years ago as an undergrad and no infractions before or since. I did a pre-trial diversion program, so technically this should have been dropped. ERAS asks specifically for convictions; however, how am I to tell what will show on a background check?

You can understand my concern as either 1. I put it on my app and lose interviews, possibly for no reason or 2. I don't put it on there, and risk losing my residency spot if a federal background check can somehow see this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a DO applying ACGME, and am concerned I'm just adding another road block for my application to bounce off the filters.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you can run a background check on yourself, might give you an idea of what may or may not pop up. I think there is a company called Certiphi that will run a background check for you, might be worth doing.

Best of luck!

I know this has been asked several times before, but the answers seem to be conflicting. I received an MIP 7 years ago as an undergrad and no infractions before or since. I did a pre-trial diversion program, so technically this should have been dropped. ERAS asks specifically for convictions; however, how am I to tell what will show on a background check?

You can understand my concern as either 1. I put it on my app and lose interviews, possibly for no reason or 2. I don't put it on there, and risk losing my residency spot if a federal background check can somehow see this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a DO applying ACGME, and am concerned I'm just adding another road block for my application to bounce off the filters.

You will not lose iis for a mip 7 years ago. Just put that you had it, explain yourself, and your honesty will be seen as a strong point in your character. I had like 6 interviewers commend me for disclosing my minor alcohol related infraction although it was minor and I probably didn't need to disclose. Just be honest.

If you didn't receive a conviction, then you are answering honestly when you mark "no" on the application. I'm not sure how programs can fault you for answering honestly. If it were to come up in a background check later on, all you need to do is explain that the charge was dismissed and that you weren't required to report dismissed charges. Basically, why shoot yourself in the foot if you don't need to? Programs will judge you - some probably more than others.

In fact, look at it this way: if you weren't convicted and you check the box saying "yes" for conviction, then you are essentially lying on your application.

Last edited: