ERAS State Medical Licenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MesoForm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am applying to fellowship this coming cycle and working through my ERAS application when I came across the State Medical Licenses section that is a required section apparently. I don't have a full state license yet as my program doesn't require it and I do not plan on moonlighting prior to fellowship. I didn't see a point when I'm not sure where I'll be practicing and it is expensive in my state. I've read on other places that residents are supposed to have a training license or training certificate but I honestly can't recall ever getting a number or anything for this. I will ask my program about it and see if they know more. Surely, others have been in this same situation. How did y'all fill that part out? Is this training license thing real and where do I find my number??

Thanks in advance for help.

Members don't see this ad.

Google is your friend.
Google didn't help me out, that's why I am asking here..I asked my program and they seem to have no clue about any kind of temporary training license. They say that my state does not require one apparently?

Your state’s Bord of Medicine has an online listing of licensed physicians. Look for yourself there. If you’re not listed, you don’t have a training license.

I guess I would have just trusted what my program told me and moved on though.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I'm curious what state this is where you don't have a training license as I thought that was pretty universal. But if it isn't then put something in the required section that explains that you don't have one, and move on.

Most states have some process like this. Your program should know. Some states do not have a central registration process -- as long as you're enrolled in a GME program they consider that OK.

In any case, absolutely no one will care about this at all. Don't drive yourself crazy. if you can't find the info from your program, just answer none.

Most states have some process like this. Your program should know. Some states do not have a central registration process -- as long as you're enrolled in a GME program they consider that OK.

In any case, absolutely no one will care about this at all. Don't drive yourself crazy. if you can't find the info from your program, just answer none.
Okay, that makes me feel a little better. I didn't actually realize that you could put none in order to check it off prior to posting the initial post. I talked to the state medical board office in my state and indeed there is no training license in my state. Thanks for the help!