ERAS help, Licensure section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolling_with_the_punches

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a quick question regarding the licensure section on eras.
Background, Im a resident has previously resigned from my position to pursue a different specialty and reapplying to ERAS.

It asks "Has your medical license ever been suspended/revoked/voluntarily terminated? *"

if so explain

and in the experience section

Was your medical education/training extended or interrupted? *

if so explain

Couldn't both of these answer the same question?
For any others who have been or heard of this situation, what did you mark for the first question?
I am just confused because resigning would voluntarily terminate your license would it not?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you need to answer yes to the first question, but you do for the second. But ultimately it doesn't matter--it will be obvious that you resigned your former position, and if you mark yes for the first question it will be obvious that that is the reason for marking yes.

Reactions: 1 user
Background, Im a resident has previously resigned from my position to pursue a different specialty and reapplying to ERAS.

It asks "Has your medical license ever been suspended/revoked/voluntarily terminated? *"

if so explain

if so explain

For any others who have been or heard of this situation, what did you mark for the first question?
I am just confused because resigning would voluntarily terminate your license would it not?

Thank you.
For you, the answer is yes. For others, maybe not. If you have a full, unrestricted license as a trainee (which obviously no intern does), then your licensure isn't tied to your status as a trainee and the answer to Q1 is no, while the answer to Q2 is yes.

The licensure question is essentially asking if you have done something bad enough for your state medical board to suspend or revoke your license to practice medicine. That's not the scenario in your case, so I would honestly answer no.

The more I sit here and ponder it, the answer to Q2 isn't so straightforward either. I would answer "yes" in your case if you quit your program mid-year. But if you just didn't choose to renew your contract at the end of the year, a reasonable argument could be made that the answer is "no" if you're changing specialties. It's something of an academic argument, and I wouldn't chance it just to make a rhetorical point.

Reactions: 1 user

if so explain

if so explain

Thank you.
The answer to question one is state dependent. In states like NY, residents don't apply for a trainee license. If you never had a license, the answer would be no. If you managed to match or continue training in another speciality without a gap, then too it would likely be no. However if you applied after a gap and your initial medical license lapsed or was suspended, then the answer would be yes. I do believe they should make the distinction between full licensure and trainee status.

The answer to question two is a straightforward yes unless you're receiving credit and are on track to finish your training on time from the moment you initially started.

In your case, without further information, the answer to both questions is yes.