Eras Hobbies and interests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scorcher31

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys perhaps you can help me out. I'm a little unsure of the angle to go with this section. In all honesty, the majority of my spare time i spend playing video games, watching movies, watching penn state football or being with my g/f(won't be on the list).

Is it bad to put something to the following extent on the list:

Avid Penn state football fan
Well versed in a variety of different video games and movies from many genres

Could things like this actually hurt me instead of helping me?

Either way I'll put more normal hobbies as well the usual world travel, computer repair, tennis, golf, on as well, but those are more "occasional" than my former list. Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

this might be the kinda of stuff you want to talk during interview if the person seems interested in such!
Otherwise we are applying for the most coveted of the Professional jobs out there in the entire world, I dont know if such things help?

use synonyms & summarize- example:
spending time with girlfriend: family
video games: puzzles

etc, etc..one worders plus all the other stuff you said.

g'luck

Haha, your list of hobbies reads almost exactly like mine. I had to dress it up a bit for ERAS and embellish on things I do less often and probably enjoy less overall. All a man really needs in life is a nice long saturday with nothing to do but to fire up the old nintendo or playstation.

:laugh: Blasting people away on Halo 3 is the best puzzle I ever played!

LOL- I know, but this still allows the OP to discuss it if ever brought up & I suspect it may bring out a uniqueness and character to the applicant. I mean comeon we are human, we like to have fun too!

Also, don't y'all work with some residents that love to play video games on their Xbox? I don't think it's too problematic as long as you word it appropriately ;)

Haha yeah well I love playing xbox, and would obviously love haivng some fellow residents that like to get down on COD4 action. My advisor said I shouldn't put video games on my interests, but I think I might. I think it's a generational thing, now video games is a huge industry with some games costing tens of millions to produce, I guess some people don't understand that. Oh well, I'm a big gamer and nothing wrong with that!

Haha yeah well I love playing xbox, and would obviously love haivng some fellow residents that like to get down on COD4 action. My advisor said I shouldn't put video games on my interests, but I think I might. I think it's a generational thing, now video games is a huge industry with some games costing tens of millions to produce, I guess some people don't understand that. Oh well, I'm a big gamer and nothing wrong with that!

Glad to know there are others out there! I put video games on my AMCAS application and even talked about them during my med school interview (specifically dance dance revolution and weight loss in children... really hit it off with the pediatrician that was interviewing me too :thumbup: )

Maybe I can pull a repeat since I'm applying to pediatrics!