General Admissions & OTCAS Essay exchange

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgprospot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone wanted to exchange essays for feedback. I don't feel comfortable posting my statement in a public forum, but if anyone wants to exchange essays privately, please let me know. I have people to read my essay, but I would like feedback from someone who does not know me, to know if I am being clear and painting a good picture of who I am and why I chose OT.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone wanted to exchange essays for feedback. I don't feel comfortable posting my statement in a public forum, but if anyone wants to exchange essays privately, please let me know. I have people to read my essay, but I would like feedback from someone who does not know me, to know if I am being clear and painting a good picture of who I am and why I chose OT.

Thanks!

I don't have an essay to exchange being that I am already accepted into a program, but I would be more than happy to give you feedback.

I would like to do that. I have started my essay but don't have a complete draft yet. I gave myself a deadline of two weeks. If you're still open to that, let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to exchange essays, I have a rough draft that I typed out that I need help cutting down. I am not sure how long a personal essay should be.

YES that would be great. Also, would love to talk about resumes too. Should we do a g-chat group thing? Or work on it over here. I'm still working on mine. writers block...

I would love to see other peoples personal statements as well.
I don't have an essay to exchange being that I am already accepted into a program, but I would be more than happy to give you feedback.

Reactions: 1 user
YES that would be great. Also, would love to talk about resumes too. Should we do a g-chat group thing? Or work on it over here. I'm still working on mine. writers block...

I would love to see other peoples personal statements as well.

Anyone can send me their essay, and I will give feedback (im no expert tho, haha). Having different people read mine helped a lot so I would be more then happy to help others as best I can. Its easiest if you have a complete first draft though. Also, I don't have much experience with OT resumes though because no schools I applied to required one.

I'm also willing to read over essays/resumes! I'll be starting a program in a few weeks and I think that having my personal statement read throughout my draft process helped a great deal, as mentioned by others in this thread. I didn't apply to anywhere requiring a resume, but I have reviewed resumes in the past. I definitely suggest having your work reviewed by a variety of people. If your university has a career services office, they'll often review personal statements and other application materials, so they're a great resource to take advantage of, if offered.

Anyone can send me their essay, and I will give feedback (im no expert tho, haha). Having different people read mine helped a lot so I would be more then happy to help others as best I can. Its easiest if you have a complete first draft though. Also, I don't have much experience with OT resumes though because no schools I applied to required one.

So I have a final draft of mine ready, I already sent it out to one school (Hofstra) because theyre on a rolling basis and I'm cutting it really close to their deadline for this Fall semester. But if I don't happen to get in I would appreciate any feedback. what are your email addresses? I can share it via google doc so you can make edits and highlight/comment on it!

I'd be willing to read personal statements to give some feedback. I am currently doing my fieldwork level II.

@OT2019 I'll send you a private message with my email address. Good luck with your application to Hofstra!

I'd be willing to read personal statements to give some feedback. I am currently doing my fieldwork level II.
Congrats! What setting are you doing yours in? I still haven't done my rough draft (inputting my experiences at the moment), but I hope to have mine done by the end of the week. Didn't want to stress about it during physiology (I got an A, so I guess it was worth it!)

Sure, I would love to get some critical feedback on my statement. What is your email?

Congrats! What setting are you doing yours in? I still haven't done my rough draft (inputting my experiences at the moment), but I hope to have mine done by the end of the week. Didn't want to stress about it during physiology (I got an A, so I guess it was worth it!)

My fieldwork is currently in a SNF and in the fall I will be in pediatrics. PM me if you would like me to read over your personal statement once you have your draft done. Giving feedback on those is kind of fun for me! haha

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry I have not answered anyone! I am happy to see so many responses. I am going to private message you all to exchange email addresses.

A lot of schools have writing centers or career centers. I suggest utilizing these resources as they really helped me gain some confidence during the application process. That being said, I would definitely be willing to look over anyone's essay. I'm not an expert or anything but I have been through the application process and I know how stressful it can be. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'd be glad to help! Good luck everyone :)

My fieldwork is currently in a SNF and in the fall I will be in pediatrics. PM me if you would like me to read over your personal statement once you have your draft done. Giving feedback on those is kind of fun for me! haha

Hi Hilary, if you are able to and are interested I was wondering if you wouldn't mind reading over my personal statement before I send it off

Also everyone, there are a few of us that responded that we would read essay. Please also remember that sometimes too many editors can flood your vision... you want the best essay of course, but you really don't need like 20 people to help you get there. When people read over your essay and give you suggestions, they are giving you opinions so imagine having too many opinions, it could easily backfire! Have confidence in your work and choose just a few people to look over your work. I initially had like five or six people view mine and got opinions... then I realized that I could write a better one so I redid the WHOLE essay and literally just had one main editor the second time around. She is who helped me truly understand how to write personal statements. I don't suggest just one editor, like I said in my previous post different opinions can help BUT just don't go overboard is all I'm saying. This is just a suggestion tho. I hope you all the best. And let me know if I can help in any way. I don't get on here as much now so if you want me to look over an essay send me a PM that way it comes to my email and I know to check on here.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone put "personal statement" as their title or include a title? I want to keep mine to one page, but if I include a title I'll have to make cuts and I'd rather not. Do you think the document name would suffice?

Did anyone put "personal statement" as their title or include a title? I want to keep mine to one page, but if I include a title I'll have to make cuts and I'd rather not. Do you think the document name would suffice?

I didn't put a title, but I just applied through OTCAS.

@OT2019 I'll send you a private message with my email address. Good luck with your application to Hofstra!
Thank you! I was pre-accepted into Hofstra on Wednesday !! I will be starting in 2 weeks :)

Can anyone look at my personal statement/swap with me? I've gotten some feedback from friends not in OT, but would love to hear from others going through the same experience.

Hi Hillary! If you have the time and are willing, I'd love for you to read over my personal statement! Let me know~