Ever feel like no one "gets it"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just successfully defended my first BA Thesis prospectus on Monday (will be defending a completely different prospectus later, probably in March), and no one really cares. Only a few of my friends are doing theses at all, and their thesis are just long papers--no committees, no defenses, no IRB. Most of my friends have zero interest in doing a thesis and don't seem to get what I was so worried, excited, or utterly exhausted about... they just think of it as a "presentation" like any other. I guess it is, but for some reason, this feels/felt so much *bigger.* It was a ton of work, and I feel like no one really gets how much work I put into it, you know?

PS. Thankfully, my relationship with my adviser has greatly improved... it appears that there were some misunderstandings on both ends, which are now resolved. Wish me continued stability with this, if you will.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on a successful thesis defense! Most of my friends were neutral on or hated research, so I understand the frustration, though I never did a thesis myself.

You will appreciate it more later when you waltz through your M.S. thesis while everyone else is freaking out because most have never done one...

I finished my M.S. two years ago and never had to defend a thesis, so you probably have a leg up on me in that respect as well...

Congrats!