EVMS Medical Masters 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

are you applying to the 1 year or 2 year program?

• 1 year

Votes: 40 65.6%
  • 2 year

Votes: 21 34.4%

• Total voters
Do they accept via email or snail mail?? I keep refreshing my email all day. Also do they tell you if rejected?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine was an email acceptance not too sure about rejections though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

How long did it take for them to update your application once submitted? (Transcripts, MCAT scores, letters of rec.)

Members don't see this ad :)
LORs were pretty quick like a day or two. Same with mcat. Transcripts were basically whenever they got to the school so it depends how far they go but mine came from Texas and it took about a week total time to get uploaded.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just accepted a couple of days ago. I was wondering if I could pay the $300 and still not attend? I am waiting to hear back from a few other programs and do not want to be bound or lose my seat.

Just accepted a couple of days ago. I was wondering if I could pay the $300 and still not attend? I am waiting to hear back from a few other programs and do not want to be bound or lose my seat.

From my understanding it's just a deposit to hold your slot. If you choose not to attend, you lose that money, but it is not a binding contract of attendance.

Hey all,

Just got accepted five days ago to the 1 year program! Super excited. 3.35 cGPA and 517 MCAT
I was looking at the site and only 73% of class 2016 got accepted into MD and DO school? I'm a little concerned... up until that it was 93%, 87.5%, 86%... Can anyone speak to this? I was really excited to go here but this has got me second-guessing.

Also, as for housing, was anyone able to find a good/relatively easy way to get some? I live in NY so I'm not sure how I'll be able to do all that before the end of August...

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey all,

I was looking at the site and only 73% of class 2016 got accepted into MD and DO school? I'm a little concerned... up until that it was 93%, 87.5%, 86%... Can anyone speak to this? I was really excited to go here but this has got me second-guessing.

Thanks

Think about it for a second. If 73% of Class of 2016 got accepted to MD/DO schools already, that meant they applied for medical schools before they even started the SMP. I'm sure there are a lot of people who were waiting until after completing the SMP to apply to schools, so that percentage will go up in a years time.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! I got in today for the 1 year MM program. Just stupid excited! I finally got my package completed yesterday and got my answer today. Gotta say, thank you so much to the admissions comm. They were helpful, supportive, patient and just plain awesome! Any class mates on here?

My Stats: VMI grad, ED RN for like 2 years, 3.3ish overall gpa , 506 MCAT, former MD student at SGU (before my dad died and my mom had a health scare - about 2 years ago), publication and med school anatomy research, solid LORS. Not trying to brag, just putting out my info, hope it helps somebody else. Please pm me if I can help any other perspective MM candidates.

Thanks to those who came before on here putting out their stats and info, it was very helpful!

Hey all,

Just got accepted five days ago to the 1 year program! Super excited. 3.35 cGPA and 517 MCAT

Also, as for housing, was anyone able to find a good/relatively easy way to get some? I live in NY so I'm not sure how I'll be able to do all that before the end of August...

Thanks

Howdy classmate! I've been looking at the housing myself in prep for the fall. I've been using apartments.com - its pretty helpful. For what I've seen so far, The Pembrook looks like a strong option, the Element looks really nice too but its a little pricey - it has its own washer/dryer in the room though - I love that. Congrats on admissions and on a great MCAT!

Hi all! Accepted to the 2 year and looking for housing right now. I have two adorable kitties I'd like to keep with me. Anyone here open to pets and would want to room together? If not, anyone know of a good spot without an expensive pet deposit that is also relatively close to campus?

If you're not looking at the housing affiliated with EVMS (Pembroke / Hague I believe), the entire Ghent area has been highly recommended to me by EVMS students and those familiar with Norfolk. There are several places last time I checked that are a few blocks from school and are pet-friendly. Should be able to use any apartment / rental search to find them.

Have you guys heard anything about linkage here? Is there a minimum MCAT you need to get into EVMS med school after completing the masters?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys im thinking of applying to this program in the upcoming year! trying to find some info about it so i was wondering if you guys could kind of give your reasons as to why you applied/are going here! thanks and congrats to all yall btw!

I'm a current med master. Shoot me a message! :)

Is the program more for people who need an extra academic boost? I had a 3.90 GPA in my undergrad, but EVMS is my number one med school. Got waitlisted there this cycle... I think it might be beneficial to show I can be successful in med school classes and meeting EVMS admin and staff can't hurt. What's your opinion?

Think about it for a second. If 73% of Class of 2016 got accepted to MD/DO schools already, that meant they applied for medical schools before they even started the SMP. I'm sure there are a lot of people who were waiting until after completing the SMP to apply to schools, so that percentage will go up in a years time.

That depends on how they calculate their statistics. Many SMPs only calculate their acceptance rates based on the number of students who apply to medical school for the first year, and then after that they will include all students. So that 73% may very well mean that 73% of Master's students that applied were accepted to MD/DO, depending on how they calculate their stats.

This may be a dumb question, but the MMP is not an online program, correct? In the application it says "Please submit three (3) letters of recommendation forms(from those familiar with student's ability to be successful in an online graduate program)".

This may be a dumb question, but the MMP is not an online program, correct? In the application it says "Please submit three (3) letters of recommendation forms(from those familiar with student's ability to be successful in an online graduate program)".

MMP is not an online program. That being said 95% of all of our classes are recorded and made available online which is awesome.

Is the program more for people who need an extra academic boost? I had a 3.90 GPA in my undergrad, but EVMS is my number one med school. Got waitlisted there this cycle... I think it might be beneficial to show I can be successful in med school classes and meeting EVMS admin and staff can't hurt. What's your opinion?

The one year program is definitely geared towards students who need a bit of a academic boost, the two year program is more geared to people who need this boost and have very little healthcare exposure. If you really want to go to EVMS and you have the money to spare then yes it should help you get in (so long as you do well in the program). But to be honest with a great gpa and a solid MCAT score there are likely better ways to spend a year then doing just about any Post-Bac programs.

Has anybody completed the post-bac program and matriculated to the EVMS MD program the next year? I know you can "opt-out" of the classes you took during the post-bac program, so what do you do instead? I know the website says you can do research, tutoring, or teaching, but I was wondering if anyone here opted out of their classes and what you did during your first year?

Has anybody completed the post-bac program and matriculated to the EVMS MD program the next year? I know you can "opt-out" of the classes you took during the post-bac program, so what do you do instead? I know the website says you can do research, tutoring, or teaching, but I was wondering if anyone here opted out of their classes and what you did during your first year?

Many do matriculate immediately into the next class (not all though). Opting out requires you to get honors in the course and you only opt out of the lecture portion, MM student don't do a lot of the clinical portions (i.e. Standardized patients and such) so you will be forced to do that portion your M1 year but we are talking 5-10% of the work you would normally have to do (imo). But EVMS is changing their curriculum significantly, so much so that the last MM class was not able to opt out of any course work because all of the courses changed. Will the current class or next year's class be able to opt out? I don't know.

Also talking with administration and people from past MM classes (not counting last year's class) what you do with the free time is up to you but it does seem that administration expects you to do something. Also it's not possible to opt out of anatomy because the MM anatomy is significantly different from the M1 anatomy, so you will be taking that class regardless.

Many do matriculate immediately into the next class (not all though). Opting out requires you to get honors in the course and you only opt out of the lecture portion, MM student don't do a lot of the clinical portions (i.e. Standardized patients and such) so you will be forced to do that portion your M1 year but we are talking 5-10% of the work you would normally have to do (imo). But EVMS is changing their curriculum significantly, so much so that the last MM class was not able to opt out of any course work because all of the courses changed. Will the current class or next year's class be able to opt out? I don't know.

Also talking with administration and people from past MM classes (not counting last year's class) what you do with the free time is up to you but it does seem that administration expects you to do something. Also it's not possible to opt out of anatomy because the MM anatomy is significantly different from the M1 anatomy, so you will be taking that class regardless.

EVMS just changed their Curriculum in 2016, so that's why I think they mentioned the "opt out" possibility starting with the MM Class of 2016. Also, how are classes graded in the MM program? I'm assuming honors is that highest grade you can get?

EVMS just changed their Curriculum in 2016, so that's why I think they mentioned the "opt out" possibility starting with the MM Class of 2016. Also, how are classes graded in the MM program? I'm assuming honors is that highest grade you can get?

My understanding is that the opt out has been around for quite a while, to my knowledge the MM students have always taken the same classes as the M1s (with a few exceptions). Also the curriculum did change in 2016, and I quite like it, but it is still a work in progress. There is no guarantee that there wont be significant changes in how the courses are structured over the next few years which could have an effect on the opt out policy over the next few years.

Honors is the highest grade. If I remember correctly 100-92 is honors, 91-88 is high pass, 88-80 is pass and then I don't remember what it is after that. Minimum passing grade I believe is a 70 overall and any exam below a 65 must be remediated. Exams are typically responsible for 60-65% of our grade the next 30-35% is quizzes, group work (team centered learning and mini cases), a write-up or two and then 5% of the grade is professionalism points.

My understanding is that the opt out has been around for quite a while, to my knowledge the MM students have always taken the same classes as the M1s (with a few exceptions). Also the curriculum did change in 2016, and I quite like it, but it is still a work in progress. There is no guarantee that there wont be significant changes in how the courses are structured over the next few years which could have an effect on the opt out policy over the next few years.

Honors is the highest grade. If I remember correctly 100-92 is honors, 91-88 is high pass, 88-80 is pass and then I don't remember what it is after that. Minimum passing grade I believe is a 70 overall and any exam below a 65 must be remediated. Exams are typically responsible for 60-65% of our grade the next 30-35% is quizzes, group work (team centered learning and mini cases), a write-up or two and then 5% of the grade is professionalism points.
Are Master's Students graded against the medical school student curve? Also, how are NBME exams and do master's students need to take them?

Are Master's Students graded against the medical school student curve? Also, how are NBME exams and do master's students need to take them?

There's no curve or has not been any need for one so far, your raw scores determine your grade in any class. The NBME exams are our midterms and finals in the courses that we take alongside the M1s. They can definitely be challenging, 2nd and 3rd order types of questions, they are old Step 1 questions. Once you get the hang of them though you'll adapt.

As JMC pointed out all of our exams (except anatomy) are NBME exams and we take the same exams as the M1s. Also the days of enjoying a curve are all but gone as soon as you go to medical school with very few exceptions.

Thanks for the responses. Can any current students tell me what they most like and most dislike about the program?

Also, how many medical master's students go on to matriculate at EVMS? Would you say that this program is more difficult than you expected, and are there any classes that you recommend we take before coming?

Thanks for the responses. Can any current students tell me what they most like and most dislike about the program?

Also, how many medical master's students go on to matriculate at EVMS? Would you say that this program is more difficult than you expected, and are there any classes that you recommend we take before coming?

I have been told that historically roughly 30 students matriculate into the next fall class after graduating, so roughly 50%. Some reapply the next cycle and get in at EVMS (there are a couple M1s right now that did that), the rest of the students usually reapply and get in elsewhere. I remember last year the website said that 90%+ who complete the program get into a medical school within 2 years. The program is difficult but I would't say more difficult then I expected. The difficulty of the science was on par with most of the upper division science courses I have taken in the past just at a much faster pace. Having a solid anatomy and biochem background would definitely help but the majority of people wont have this experience so I wouldn't worry too much if you don't feel very solid in these areas.

Is it too late to apply to EVMS SMP?

I believe the deadline is in June but dont quote me on it. If you have any questions go to the website and if necessary call the medical masters office, everyone there is amazing.

Is it too late to apply to EVMS SMP?

It's not too late to apply. I just put my application in last week, still waiting on a response though.
I was in contact with the director and administration and nothing they said gave the impression that they've filled all their seats and putting people automatically on to their waitlist. If you plan to apply though definitely get your application in as soon as possible. A lot of people haven't submitted their applications because they're probably still in school and waiting for this semester's grades and/or MCAT scores.

Out of curiosity what are your stats? GPA, MCAT, ECs, etc.

Does anybody know how many people in the medical master program this year? how many in the 1-year vs. 2-year program? and how many get accepted to EVMS in the end?

I believe there is just short of 60 of graduating med masters right now. There were I think 3 drop outs during first semester, and I know one of the two years dropped out before second semester began. There should be 17 graduating 2-year med masters. Also, two predental students. There were 3 but one dropped. Last year, 32 students from around 60 ended up matriculating into the M1 class

Accepted today for the 1 year program! 3.11 cGPA/3.14 sGPA, 503 MCAT

Is EVMS MMP actually competitive? Or does everybody who applies get in haha. What is the acceptance rate

Is EVMS MMP actually competitive? Or does everybody who applies get in haha. What is the acceptance rate

I got rejected :p

But with a 2.7 gpa and an out-of-date 29 MCAT lul.

This was a month before my 518 MCAT came in.

I finished the MM 1-year program this past may and was accepted into EVMS c/o 2021 and I can definitely say it was pretty challenging. This year there were about 60 eligible students applying, (MM 1yr + MM 2yr) and about 30-32 got in.

If you have any questions you can pm me.

I finished the MM 1-year program this past may and was accepted into EVMS c/o 2021 and I can definitely say it was pretty challenging. This year there were about 60 eligible students applying, (MM 1yr + MM 2yr) and about 30-32 got in.

If you have any questions you can pm me.
when did you interview for the MD school? January?

I got rejected :p

But with a 2.7 gpa and an out-of-date 29 MCAT lul.

This was a month before my 518 MCAT came in.

Well that's fun to hear. Currently sitting at just above 2.7, current 518 MCAT though.

Thanks for these post. I'm interested in applying to this program.