Exam for State of California Fluoroscopy Operator and Supervisor Permit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
could you email me some question eamples if you remember or is there a booklet for questions? my email is [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I'm new to California and I need to take the test for my radiology supervisor and operator permit. Can anyone help me out with any study materials or suggestions for this test? I heard its extremely difficult and expensive if I fail! Any help would be appreciated!

Hello,
I'm new to California and I need to take the test for my radiology supervisor and operator permit. Can anyone help me out with any study materials or suggestions for this test? I heard its extremely difficult and expensive if I fail! Any help would be appreciated!

It's actually super easy. Read the manual available for download at the site. Read it twice. Done.

Test took me 17 minutes. Questions were word for word from manual.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone taken the new exam for 2013? Is the "Syllabus on Fluoroscopy Radiation Protection" still adequate for the new exam?

yes, I took it 2 weeks ago and am certain I failed it. I used fluorotest.com and the syllabus 6th edition. The new test is very different and covered things not even mentioned in the sylabus. The green book has an outline which is inadequate.

I was not confident walking out of the test center, but I passed it last month. It was not easy but I think a lot of the really hard questions might have been experimental. Fluorotest.com is garbage.

I found some online materials for an rad tech training course that were helpful (all the questions on fluorotest.com are here for free, by the way): http://www.elcamino.edu/faculty/dcharman/RT244home.html

If you are in a hurry, there is http://www.elcamino.edu/faculty/dcharman/255 Review of Fluoro 2008.ppt

I think if you learn that material, and read the 2 old PDF syllabuses (Radiography and Fluoro) on the CA website, you won't be able to answer everything but you will hopefully pass. I think the ARRT is trying to make it hard enough that you have to buy some sort of $200+ online course, I don't think that is necessary.

Last edited:
So you saw stuff from the Radiography syllabus that were also on the test? I wish they just put everythng in the fluoro syllabus and did not make us go on a scavenger hunt...did you need to know all that x-ray tech stuff about number of grids at certain mA, time and kVp and how it relates to density and contrast...I could care less about that stuff

There were a few questions that tested material found only in the Radiography and not the Fluoro syllabus. That said, the Radiography syllabus on a whole is not high yield.

I took radiology supervisor test. read all syllabus material down loaded from website for test . But could not pass there were questions in test were not in mataterial . Please help . Any courses ? I heard there is a course in Oakland how is that one ?

I took radiology supervisor test. read all syllabus material down loaded from website for test . But could not pass there were questions in test were not in mataterial . Please help . Any courses ? I heard there is a course in Oakland how is that one ?

Why the radiology supervisor, and not the fluoroscopy supervisor test? I do have a friend who took the radiology supervisor test by mistake and passed, but I imagine it is harder. One of the perks is that the license is good for 20 years, instead of 2.

Hey all, im taking the test this week...any advice?

make sure you know everything in the fluoro section of the green booklet they mailed you. If you look at each bullet point carefully you will see items tested which were not in the syllabus such as DSA and DIACOM to name a few. I cant say more than that but looking at the syllabus will give you an idea of topics you need to study outside the syllabus.

make sure you know everything in the fluoro section of the green booklet they mailed you. If you look at each bullet point carefully you will see items tested which were not in the syllabus such as DSA and DIACOM to name a few. I cant say more than that but looking at the syllabus will give you an idea of topics you need to study outside the syllabus.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does any one knows about any course , one in Oakland is very expensive , I heard there are some questions available as well , it's a struggle to get proper study material .did any one pass the test recently can help ?

Listen to Lord Jeebus's post from 04/02/2013 and you should be fine...take it from my experience...you should take studying semi-seriously and not blow it off

Hey all, im taking the test this week...any advice?
Did any one took radiology supervisor test & pass ? I heard there are test q available & there is a course in Oakland how is that one ?

I was not confident walking out of the test center, but I passed it last month. It was not easy but I think a lot of the really hard questions might have been experimental. Fluorotest.com is garbage.

I found some online materials for an rad tech training course that were helpful (all the questions on fluorotest.com are here for free, by the way): http://www.elcamino.edu/faculty/dcharman/RT244home.html

If you are in a hurry, there is http://www.elcamino.edu/faculty/dcharman/255 Review of Fluoro 2008.ppt

I think if you learn that material, and read the 2 old PDF syllabuses (Radiography and Fluoro) on the CA website, you won't be able to answer everything but you will hopefully pass. I think the ARRT is trying to make it hard enough that you have to buy some sort of $200+ online course, I don't think that is necessary.

This is the most helpful info on this. I'm taking time studying. I registered for Rayos Education for the CA Fluoro test. It seems helpful. I also paid for fluoro test.com. I'm hoping between those sites, Bushong, Syllabus, booklet, and the sites you posted I can survive and get it over with. I've also heard the PowerPoint from orange coast. Crossing my fingers :-/

Hi Everyone,
My Fluoro test is in less then a week. I'm stressing a bit. IV been studying all month. I'm doing well on Rayoseducation.com. Has anyone tried Rayoseducation for the 2013 CA Fluoro exam?? Was it helpful

I'm also using fluorotest.com to study but I just don't like this site. It's just not created well and the questions are kinda weird

Anyways id appreciate any feedback since IV been told the exam includes xray questions :mad:

In also studying from some sites recommended by some that have taken the test. I can post them if anyone's interested.

I'm also reading thought the Fluoro protection syllabus but I still haven't hot through the appendix.

Any response would be great!! Thanks!!

I studied using rayoseducation and Fluorotest. I took the test today and pretty sure I failed it.
Seems like I need to study the syllabus for next test. Ugh! False Advertisement. I knew all the questions but there were so many other questions that I hadn't study.

any incoming California pain fellows taking this test soon?

I'm moving across the country and this is another headache to deal with on top of moving and studying the anesthesia written boards.

I would love some high yield recommendations for anesthesia residents that had to study for both the written boards and this test at the same time.

Thanks!

any incoming California pain fellows taking this test soon?

I'm moving across the country and this is another headache to deal with on top of moving and studying the anesthesia written boards.

I would love some high yield recommendations for anesthesia residents that had to study for both the written boards and this test at the same time.

Thanks!

I didn't start preparing for this until well after I had finished the anesthesia written boards. Is your fellowship program making you take it early? Fellows shouldn't need the certification until after they graduate.

Overrated in terms of difficulty. Study hard for 2 days to a week and you should be fine.

Overrated in terms of difficulty. Study hard for 2 days to a week and you should be fine.

Is it more or less similar to the A RRT? I heard it was easier (besides the pilot questions that dont count)

Bringing this thread back to life. Any other advice for study material for the new edition of the test? Also, anyone who did this from out of state, how long did this process take you from getting your CA license to getting the fluoro license?

i got a exam prep booklet from California state, read it in the parking lot where i took the test (took me 60 minutes), took the test and passed it.
this test is not difficult.

i got a exam prep booklet from California state, read it in the parking lot where i took the test (took me 60 minutes), took the test and passed it.
this test is not difficult.
that sounds reassuring. How long did it take to get it done from application to license?

can somebody help clarify something for me... these CPHD are driving me crazy, i am a canadian who is starting an interventional fellowship in the July and i just got my california medical license after almost a year of dealing with them, and now after submitting the application for the fluoro exam, they tell me that i can even apply without a SSN. i explained to them that i wont be getting that until i get to the US till June and i need the exam to start in July and they basically told me to get lost..... what is wrong with this system... so friggin frustrating.. does anybody have any input in this matter????

Recently took and passed the fluoroscopy test. I will counter what has been mentioned and state that the test is not that easy. I walked out fully prepared at having to retake it.

First some administrator details:
You apply using the paper form and they send you a paper indicating your 3 month scheduling window and also a large green booklet that has a syllabus for the many tests they offer and basic information.
You have to register on another site and the whole application process is pretty inefficient all things considered.
You take the test at PearsonVue centers. If you reschedule a test date with them, they charge you $10 which is a f$cking scam.
You can only take your test during your 3 month window but you can apply for an extension up to 3 times with the ARRT.

The booklet they give you explains some details on the test and gives a syllabus. I had no radiology background whatsoever so I don't really feel you could look at the syllabus cold and pass the test unless you are already somewhat familiar with the material. I wouldn't recommend that to people who don't have some baseline familiarity with the subject so the whole reading the syllabus thing two hours before the test is risky advice. I broke down and purchased the study material that they hawk online from the ASRT. It's got some good information but a lot of useless information. I studied exclusively off of that and reviewed the syllabus a bit. Use the syllabus as your study guide to know what is and is not being tested so you don't memorize low yield information.

Test itself is relatively straightforward if you know the material. Per the test booklet, a fair number of questions are deemed experimental so don't freak out if you aren't sure of an answer. You should be able to finish the test with plenty of time in general.

A few weeks after the test you get a letter indicating if you passed or failed and can print a temporary license. A few weeks after that you get your official license in the mail.

I would recommend sticking to a study schedule (probably a week or two) and then taking the test. I kept putting off my test date and took it on the last day of my window and was even thinking of applying for an extension, but just nut up and take it.

Thanks for this info- taking the exam in a few weeks- but still unsure of study materials and focus.

Using flurotest.com, rayoseducation.com q banks, hagger notes. Not using syllabus much.

Did you use these resources as well? If so, is this enough?

Also, is digital fluoro heavy on your exams?

Thanks.

I recently applied for the fluoro license but did not receive a green booklet when I got a confirmation letter from CdPH. So I applied for the exam today with ARRTs website. Who should I contact to get the green syllabus or is it online?
Should I also review this below?

Http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubs forms/guidelines/Documents/RHB-Radiography/Syllabus.pdf

Sorry this has been a very confusing process and nothing is centralized. I'm trying to avoid paying for a course if possible.
Thanks

Never mind someone posted the link above. So did everyone review the 100 page green bookle and the 151 page cal radiography radiation protections?

Does anyone know how to go about renewing this silly certificate...I figured I would get a renewal form in the mail but I have not received anything yet. Even their website is very cryptic. Any phone numbers where I could actually talk to a human being?

Just recently took this B.S. exam. Need it in California as a urologist. It is not tricky, but it is hard if you have little to no radiology/physics/fluoro background. I looked online and on these forums for the best advice/study material and didn't find much help. There is mention of a "syllabus" which is NOT the green packet they send you in the mail when you register. That green packet is worthless. If you search for the "syllabus" you can find a 150+ page pdf which was last updated in the late 90's. The test used to be based off this but no longer. Having said all that, the syllabus is worthless. The best study material I found was the online course (pdf) that you buy on the ASRT website (cost is 200+). Just suck it up and pay for the course, we have been getting charged all our careers for step exams, board exams, etc. It comes with a few questions (around 20-30 per lesson) after each lesson (six total) which i thought were the most representative of the test.

Again, the test isn't super difficult or tricky, but you do have to study and know the terms, as well as some basic fluoroscopy concepts (all covered within the ASRT lessons). There is mention on this forum of other qbanks such as rayoseducation and fluorotest.com, all of those are absolute GARBAGE, save your money.

Another word of advice which I will reiterate, set a date, study the ASRT lessons (I ended up reading through them twice) and you will do fine. Do not keep postponing this test. Just set a date, buckle down, and be done with it.

A little more about the actual test. The test consists of 120 questions and you have two hours, I finished in about an hour. Time is not a pressing factor. There was one calculation question. One question where you had to identify a part of a diagram. Another question that you had to order from least to greatest. The rest were multiple choice.

Best of luck,
Urologist in California

Last edited:
3 years later...
Any new thoughts on preparation for this exam?
Looking at Fellowships in CA and unsure how to prepare for this should I choose to go out west.
Also any thoughts on how hard this exam really is

thanks

I know of a family practice doc who owns his own practice and has tried and failed 3 times.

Just recently took this B.S. exam. Need it in California as a urologist. It is not tricky, but it is hard if you have little to no radiology/physics/fluoro background. I looked online and on these forums for the best advice/study material and didn't find much help. There is mention of a "syllabus" which is NOT the green packet they send you in the mail when you register. That green packet is worthless. If you search for the "syllabus" you can find a 150+ page pdf which was last updated in the late 90's. The test used to be based off this but no longer. Having said all that, the syllabus is worthless. The best study material I found was the online course (pdf) that you buy on the ASRT website (cost is 200+). Just suck it up and pay for the course, we have been getting charged all our careers for step exams, board exams, etc. It comes with a few questions (around 20-30 per lesson) after each lesson (six total) which i thought were the most representative of the test.

Again, the test isn't super difficult or tricky, but you do have to study and know the terms, as well as some basic fluoroscopy concepts (all covered within the ASRT lessons). There is mention on this forum of other qbanks such as rayoseducation and fluorotest.com, all of those are absolute GARBAGE, save your money.

Another word of advice which I will reiterate, set a date, study the ASRT lessons (I ended up reading through them twice) and you will do fine. Do not keep postponing this test. Just set a date, buckle down, and be done with it.

A little more about the actual test. The test consists of 120 questions and you have two hours, I finished in about an hour. Time is not a pressing factor. There was one calculation question. One question where you had to identify a part of a diagram. Another question that you had to order from least to greatest. The rest were multiple choice.

Best of luck,
Urologist in California

Thank you for the updated information. It is greatly appreciated.

I just got my test results back and I failed my fluoro test, I scored a 70.......... I used fluorotest.com and like others have stated completely useless. looking for other study material options. I wad wondering if anyone had any reviews from the fluoroscopy study material offered by the ASRT? It's roughly $150 I don't mind spending that much money but I do want to make sure the material is worth investing in. Any other study material leads will be great.

think i used fluororeview website which shouldnt be too expensive although if you have a colleague/friend who has used the site just borrow their password. i felt like some of the questions were very similar but i did take this about 5-6 years ago. seemed like at least 25% of the questions were verbatim and 50% of the other questions were very similar. the test does not have much margin for error as you may expect, so you actually do need to memorize quite a bit and understand some of the basic concepts, so short-term memory and quick recall. don't think necessary to spend so much money for ASRT study materials. make a cheat sheet of all the things you need to memorize on one page and do whatever you do to memorize that stuff. you can forget most of it after you've passed...

However please note that lord_jeebus below just mentioned the test was completely rewritten around 2012 or so, thus the above comments I just made may be completely wrong..

Last edited:
I just got my test results back and I failed my fluoro test, I scored a 70.......... I used fluorotest.com and like others have stated completely useless. looking for other study material options. I wad wondering if anyone had any reviews from the fluoroscopy study material offered by the ASRT? It's roughly $150 I don't mind spending that much money but I do want to make sure the material is worth investing in. Any other study material leads will be great.

Took the test for the first time and I made the mistake of using the online syllabus. That was a horrible mistake, none of the online questions are worth your time. Pay for the CME of the ASRT, this was extremely helpful and the questions you get at the end of each module are the most representative of the test. I passed now and I wish I knew about the ASRT CME courses, before hand.
I have no personal affiliation with the ASRT, but it's just the way it is, not studying from their online course is risky. Good luck

Took the test for the first time and I made the mistake of using the online syllabus. That was a horrible mistake, none of the online questions are worth your time. Pay for the CME of the ASRT, this was extremely helpful and the questions you get at the end of each module are the most representative of the test. I passed now and I wish I knew about the ASRT CME courses, before hand.
I have no personal affiliation with the ASRT, but it's just the way it is, not studying from their online course is risky. Good luck

perhaps a money grab?

perhaps a money grab?

Funny.. I am just trying to help, I rarely post and I already failed once. The test is not hard of you study from the right source, take it or leave it..

Funny.. I am just trying to help, I rarely post and I already failed once. The test is not hard of you study from the right source, take it or leave it..

No worries. I was just thinking aloud as to why they changed the exam and offered their own CME. I was somehow still following this thread and got a notification of a new post. I passed this thing 4 years ago. SDN has always been a wealth of information for many and your input is definitely appreciated.

what are the right sources

Best of luck,
Urologist in California

http://asrt.mycrowdwisdom.com/diweb/catalog/item/id/48831/q/c=40&t=4233

this?

what are the right sources
I think since they rewrote the test a few years ago, someone mentioned this CME you have to pay for and study which seemed to be very helpful. That thick "syllabus" has most of the information in there although it is lengthy to scan through to pick out what you might need to know.