Exceptional Extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Readingman12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are examples of exceptional extracurriculars that can make the difference? I know there are programs out there for exceptional students but what are some examples for the average student looking to make his way into top medical schools.

Members don't see this ad.

An average student won't get into the top schools. That being said, you can go from an average student to an exceptional candidate. So how do you become exceptional? You excel at something--this can be almost anything, really. You have to realise that "exceptional" students almost always started out average and just devoted huge amounts of time (or got extraordinarily lucky, but usually the former). If you are in college right now, chances are that it will be difficult (only because time is limited) to become exceptional at something (doesn't mean it's impossible). But pursue something you love now, devote time to it everyday because you love doing it. When it comes time for residency application, that's almost a decade under your belt. I'd bet you'd be darn good at that thing by then. The biggest hurdle is to get rolling--to not quit when you first begin something and feel mediocre at it.

Reactions: 2 users
You want to know how to get an acceptance at Harvard with a mediocre gpa and mcat?
Become a navy seal or something like that...

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I still think I'm an average person.

I still think I'm an average person.
I wouldn't do that.. Always think you are above average, and think big.
Political trump aside, this is actually a valid speech from trump.. (ignore his political stuff, and watch with an open mind. it's spot on)

I wouldn't do that.. Always think you are above average, and think big.
Political trump aside, this is actually a valid speech from trump.. (ignore his political stuff, and watch with an open mind. it's spot on)

Never said I don't dream above average. I know my strengths and weaknesses and strive to improve them but I don't delude myself into thinking I'm some superstar at whatever. I just work hard to reach my goals. Being avg isn't a bad thing, as long as one is willing to put in above avg effort to get things done.

How many Olympic medals do you have? Remember Winter doesn't count.

Reactions: 1 user
The best way for an average student to make it to a top medical school is to work hard for a high GPA and MCAT.

A 3.9/39 student with some research background and the rest of the "mandatory" ECs is more likely to make it to a top school than a 3.6/32 student with a Nature publication.

Then, of course, there are the people with 3.9/40+/Nature publications (yes they exist) who are basically guaranteed spots at top schools.

Reactions: 4 users
That makes perfect sense. But to the extent that the quote was from–taking an average app and turning it into a Harvard acceptance?

I'd be happy to hear it, I don't know how anyone gets into a top school these days when there are people like William Hwang out there. https://www.pdsoros.org/meet-the-fellows/william-hwang

I hope you're right, I'm sure I can make EOD sound super cool on paper. Katheryn Bigelow tried it and they gave her an oscar.

If you were just a vet no, but if you were in special forces probably
why? I bet it takes more dedication to be a navy seal than it does to be a doctor.

What about your post-to-like ratio on SDN? I've heard it needs to be at least 1:2 if you want a legitimate shot at the top tiers

Reactions: 5 users
I have a fondness for people who have done:

Hospice work
Work with the developmentally disabled
Nursing home work
TFA
Americorp
Peace Corps
Any military service.

What are examples of exceptional extracurriculars that can make the difference? I know there are programs out there for exceptional students but what are some examples for the average student looking to make his way into top medical schools.

Reactions: 3 users
The best way for an average student to make it to a top medical school is to work hard for a high GPA and MCAT.

A 3.9/39 student with some research background and the rest of the "mandatory" ECs is more likely to make it to a top school than a 3.6/32 student with a Nature publication.

Then, of course, there are the people with 3.9/40+/Nature publications (yes they exist) who are basically guaranteed spots at top schools.
Respectfully disagree. The GPA sure but the average student will not get a 99th percentile MCAT no matter how hard they practice. IMHO, the best way for the average student is to work hard over a long period of time in one or more activities and try to excel at those activities out of sheer amount of work/practice.

Respectfully disagree. The GPA sure but the average student will not get a 99th percentile MCAT no matter how hard they practice. IMHO, the best way for the average student is to work hard over a long period of time in one or more activities and try to excel at those activities out of sheer amount of work/practice.

Even if your ECs are "great", your chances at getting into a top school with a 32 or 33 (barring specific circumstances) are still going to be quite slim. Obviously not everyone can get into a top med school, but, if we're assuming a limited amount of time and resources, I would put my money on the 3.9/35 with a research background but no publications vs a 3.6/32 with a Nature publication or who did TFA or something. Of course, the most likely scenario is that neither gets in, but the former still has a better chance. Numbers won't get you in by themselves, but they absolutely can keep you out.

Even if your ECs are "great", your chances at getting into a top school with a 32 or 33 (barring specific circumstances) are still going to be quite slim. Obviously not everyone can get into a top med school, but, if we're assuming a limited amount of time and resources, I would put my money on the 3.9/35 with a research background but no publications vs a 3.6/32 with a Nature publication or who did TFA or something. Of course, the most likely scenario is that neither gets in, but the former still has a better chance. Numbers won't get you in by themselves, but they absolutely can keep you out.
Sure, I'm not saying numbers don't help or that they aren't necessary but a 3.9/35 is doable IMO with hard work for the average student but a 99th percentile MCAT is a different story.

What about your post-to-like ratio on SDN? I've heard it needs to be at least 1:2 if you want a legitimate shot at the top tiers

This didn't get any likes so I though I'd help you keep your ratio alive.

I have a fondness for people who have done:

Hospice work
Work with the developmentally disabled
Nursing home work
TFA
Americorp
Peace Corps
Any military service.
To add to this, volunteer service with the Habitat for Humanity goes a LOOOOOOONG way. Our admissions just eat that up.

Reactions: 2 users
I come from a school with a great percentage (>50%) of minorities/URM, and I have seen a disproportionate number of average applicants get into top 10 schools.

Research at a top 10 school
Be a URM

Kind of off topic but I just find it so perverse nowadays that any adcom views a Nature or Science publication with some sort of unquestioned reverence. I guess what a lot of people outside academia don't understand is that even for us graduate students, it's insanely difficult to get these sorts of publications - the stars really have to align. You have to be in the right time at the right place and come up with the right ideas for such a project to come to full fruition. So I would say that most of the time, people who publish in these journals are no smarter or productive than anybody else - they just got very lucky that their project worked and worked well.

Depends on what you term "average." Where I'm from, I'd say I was slightly above average (think top 30-40%) and my MCAT is 100th percentile (yes, the new MCAT actually measures that). But I stumbled in my early years so my overall GPA is lower than the GPA from my later years. So depends on what an "average" student is.

Depends on what you term "average." Where I'm from, I'd say I was slightly above average (think top 30-40%) and my MCAT is 100th percentile (yes, the new MCAT actually measures that). But I stumbled in my early years so my overall GPA is lower than the GPA from my later years. So depends on what an "average" student is.
True. I come from an unranked state uni so "average" would be quite below the average at Ivies or top public schools.

I think your question has been answered. Not really sure bumping would get you any new meaningful responses.