Expect more interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polkman789

Reaction score
Hello,
As November rolls around, I’m wondering if there are still interviews that are going out in numbers. I am thankful to have 1 MD II, but I’m still waiting on 30 other schools so I was wondering that if 1 was received, should I be hopeful for more to come in eventually? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
thinking the same thing too. currently sitting at 0 MD II

• Care
Relax guys it's only November :)

-usual obligatory statement if a more experienced person corrects me believe them haha

Edit: I get it's stressful, I have quite literally been in your shoes. I'm just saying it's too early to give up hope/think you'll get no love

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Check the school specific threads for the schools on your list from prior application cycles. I am guessing there should be more IIs coming, but who knows.

20231009_134254_0001.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Some schools are more or less done. Others may be sending out invitations through the end of the calendar year or even early into next year. Don't loose hope but keep working on improving your application just in case you need to reapply.

• Wow
Are two interview invites normally enough for an acceptance?

Some schools are more or less done. Others may be sending out invitations through the end of the calendar year or even early into next year. Don't loose hope but keep working on improving your application just in case you need to reapply.
Do schools generally wait until all applications have been glanced at at least once before closing out the II season, or are there some schools where all IIs are sent before some apps are even seen?

Last edited:
Do schools generally wait until all applications have been glanced at at least once before closing out the II season, or are there some schools where all IIs are sent before some apps are even seen?
Some schools get a notoriously high number of apps and it likely is too late for many to get an II after a certain point (eg Tulane).

There
I can only speak for my own school where our goal was to have eyeballs on every application about six weeks before the last scheduled interview day. That made it possible to queue the one in 15 in that last group of applicants who would be selected for interview.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Hello,
As November rolls around, I’m wondering if there are still interviews that are going out in numbers. I am thankful to have 1 MD II, but I’m still waiting on 30 other schools so I was wondering that if 1 was received, should I be hopeful for more to come in eventually? Thanks
congrats on the 1 II.

I have asked many admissions directors in podcast interviews when do they stop sending out interview invitations. NOT ONE has said November. Most say they continue sending out invitation into February and a few say March.

Instead of stewing about a lack of interview invitations or endlessly assessing "odds," you should pursue parallel tracks:

1) do everything within your power to get accepted this cycle. At this point, there isn't much you can do until invited to interview (prep and do well) or wait-listed (follow the school's instructions for wait-listed applicants). If the schools you are interested in are open to updates and you have done something noteworthy, let them know per whatever instructions they provide.

2) Prepare for the possibility of rejection and reapplication. Start by evaluating your application. Were you competitive at your target schools? If not, change the schools you are aiming for or improve your qualifications, or both. Did you present your qualifications effectively via the primary application and later show fit with every single school that you sent a secondary application to? If not, you need to improve the presentation of your qualifications in the primary and secondary applications. Pro tip: if you improve your qualifications in anticipation of a reapplication, that improvement will also help you if invited to interview or waitlisted this cycle.

Good luck!

Reactions: 17 users
What does it mean if an applicant has a lot of DO attention but nothing from MD schools? (3.8+, 516+)
It might mean you had a “ bad” school list for one reason or another( maybe mission fit?), something in an essay that sticks out, stats on the cusp of acceptable, etc. Lots of attention from DO schools means you can be a doctor if you want to be and you do well on your interviews.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
What does it mean if an applicant has a lot of DO attention but nothing from MD schools? (3.8+, 516+)
It could also mean that you submitted late-ish for MD schools but on time for DO schools, that your MD list was too competitive or too OOS unfriendly, or that some of the schools you applied to are not re-applicant friendly. It looks like you have added to your application since last cycle so it's encouraging to get interviews.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for all the feedback, it’s all beneficial. I’m grateful for the position I’m in right now and I’m hoping more love from MD schools comes our way, still a lot of time for that I guess.

Reactions: 2 users
I was also wondering if anybody can kindly share some insight into this: in the case that I need to reevaluate my application for another cycle, would being offered multiple interviews at DO schools at least indicate that my essays/reasons for going to medicine and extracurricular activities are adequate? (For MD and DO schools alike). Thanks

Usually with the Thanksgiving rule, if you have no interviews, it's a good time to reassess. If you have had interviews, you need to focus on the admissions results though some planning for a reapplication would be wise. If you receive multiple II's from DO programs, you need to assess your real motivation to become a physician if you are still dissatisfied with your cycle results. To answer the question: it's adequate for the schools that extended you II's given your potential alignment with their mission and culture.

Reactions: 4 users
Usually with the Thanksgiving rule, if you have no interviews, it's a good time to reassess. If you have had interviews, you need to focus on the admissions results though some planning for a reapplication would be wise. If you receive multiple II's from DO programs, you need to assess your real motivation to become a physician if you are still dissatisfied with your cycle results. To answer the question: it's adequate for the schools that extended you II's given your potential alignment with their mission and culture.
Thanks for the response. I’m 101% satisfied with my DO success and am excited to see how that part of my cycle pans out. Reason I mention MD schools is because I applied to so many so I was just hoping to break the silence on that end as well.

Thanks for the response. I’m 101% satisfied with my DO success and am excited to see how that part of my cycle pans out. Reason I mention MD schools is because I applied to so many so I was just hoping to break the silence on that end as well.
Many schools are giving you a chance to become a doctor with a DO degree. You need to figure out if you just want to be a doctor or just want the MD.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users