expected costs of setting up a procedure room?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much would you expect to pay to set up a procedure room, in terms of equipment

C-arm - new or refurbished
Fluoro table
Monthly drug cost
Monthly kit cost

I'm assuming for the big ticket items financing is available(?)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lead ends up being a medium-ticket item. You have to have several and a few different sizes for the endo- or ecto-morphs you’ll have in there with you.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
We converted two exam rooms + hallway into a C arm suite that has more than enough space.
Lead lined one wall because admin offices on the other side. Get a physicist to do the calculations - depends on C arm position, expected use, etc. Your state health department should have a list or C arm supplier should have one as well. Costs ~$500 and my state required it for final sign off.
All reno + start up was about $100k
Pay $1500 lease to own on refurb C arm + PACS
Average ~$35 per procedure on supplies (trays, meds, needles, etc.) - have not looked at this in a while though.
I don't calculate personnel time as my nurse runs C arm and helps in room while MA handles rooming patients as they would be in clinic.

Reactions: 2 users
How much would you expect to pay to set up a procedure room, in terms of equipment

C-arm - new or refurbished
Fluoro table
Monthly drug cost
Monthly kit cost

I'm assuming for the big ticket items financing is available(?)
On the low side
C-arm - 50-60k
Table - 10k
Disposables - depends on case but not much if you don't use trays, ~$2-3 + needles + steroid

Reactions: 1 users
don't forget the costs add up with all the small items too: bedsheets, pillows, pillow covers, extra betadine/chloroprep, IV kits if doing sedation, gauze, bandaids, all the small to midsize tables for your tray set up, separate shelving to store all your supplies in the procedure room and in the supply room, ultrasound, ultrasound gel packets, tegaderms or ultrasound probe kits, alcohol swabs, sterile and nonsterile gloves, basic disinfectant and cleaning supplies for room turnover, etc.

these all add up, especially during today's inflationary times.

Don't forget RFA generator, autoclave, c-arm service contract, code cart, AED, vitals monitoring, med gases if applicable

I have everything for you to the dollar. Will try to post tonight. Working on 2022 taxes.

Reactions: 6 users
C arm - Genoray w/ 5 year warranty $58,000
Autoclave - new Tuttenhamer $5750
Procedure Table - new Oakworks $13,900
RF Probes - these will cost between $750 up to list price of $2500 each, depends on when you buy, how many you buy, if your rep wants to help you. I have 21 of them now. Medtronic placed the generator for free with a commitment to buy disposables from them. You do not need to buy their grounding pads. They are awful (ValleyLab, probably great for general surgery use, too big and not sticky enough for ambulatory patients that use lotion, etc). Their needles are $10 each. 3m or Medline grounding pads are around $2 each.
Steel table, mayo, step stool - $1000
Craftsman tool cabinet for RF machine - $200
Steel shelving for storage - Sam's Club/Lowes - less than $1000
Vital sign monitor - $500 ebay
Nitrous mixer - new Belmed ebay $2500
various surgical instruments - $500 ebay - use these rarely, but used them all when I taught a cadaver course at the office a few weeks ago
Lead aprons - around $550 each for Infab direct from Infab

You will need some positioning pillows. I do not use table paper, sheets, pillowcases. We wipe everything down between each case with the Medline version of the purple wipes. Very affordable.

General procedure tray - $3.50 medline
Interlaminar ESI tray - $7.75 medline
Chloraprep $2, Alcohol 3 swab sticks w/ shot of 4% chlorhexidine in the packet - less than .50 medline
Latex sterile gloves .75/pair - Amazon
nitrile exam gloves - like .05/pair Medline
Lidocaine/contrast - this cost will vary based on how good of a shopper you are and if you use your single use 30ml lidocaine and 50ml contrast multiple times. Not very expensive at all if you reuse them, $1-2 per case
Tuohy needles and LOR syringes are expensive when bought separate so get them in a kit.
3.5" spinal needles I pay less than $2 each.
5" spinal needles are about $5 each and 5" or longer tuohy needles are very expensive like $8
Dexamethasone is around $2 for 4mg, maybe less
Triamcinolone 40mg is around $3.50 per dose if using the generic 10ml multidose for joints
Celestone 12mg costs around $16, usually the J code pays more where you might make some money on this.
Ropi/Bupi is around $8 for 30ml if you like long acting in your joints or MBB's
18 gallon sharps bin - $20 medline

I have an ambubag and some LMA's but no defib/crash cart
I have some IV supplies but no ACLS meds or IV fluids
I have nothing that needs laundered.

If you building this out at your current office, say an existing conference room or multiperson admin office then the cost should be minor for the buildout. I wouldn't worry about gauze, bandaids, etc. You will already have this stuff at your office and the cost of that stuff is nothing in the overall picture. The cost of all this is small for the amount it will benefit you and your patients. I am doing twice as many injections in my private office than I was doing at the hospital. The hospital would lose patients during the auth, scheduling process and also the cost was a factor as well. I am sure the same is for your ASC. ASC is great for trials and implants though financially. Just not the best site for injections.

• Love
Reactions: 28 users
RF Probes - these will cost between $750 up to list price of $2500 each, depends on when you buy, how many you buy, if your rep wants to help you. I have 21 of them now. Medtronic placed the generator for free with a commitment to buy disposables from them. You do not need to buy their grounding pads. They are awful (ValleyLab, probably great for general surgery use, too big and not sticky enough for ambulatory patients that use lotion, etc). Their needles are $10 each. 3m or Medline grounding pads are around $2 each.
various surgical instruments - $500 ebay - use these rarely, but used them all when I taught a cadaver course at the office a few weeks ago

You will need some positioning pillows. I do not use table paper, sheets, pillowcases. We wipe everything down between each case with the Medline version of the purple wipes. Very affordable.

Chloraprep $2, Alcohol 3 swab sticks w/ shot of 4% chlorhexidine in the packet - less than .50 medline
Lidocaine/contrast - this cost will vary based on how good of a shopper you are and if you use your single use 30ml lidocaine and 50ml contrast multiple times. Not very expensive at all if you reuse them, $1-2 per case
Tuohy needles and LOR syringes are expensive when bought separate so get them in a kit.
5" spinal needles are about $5 each and 5" or longer tuohy needles are very expensive like $8
Triamcinolone 40mg is around $3.50 per dose if using the generic 10ml multidose for joints
Celestone 12mg costs around $16, usually the J code pays more where you might make some money on this.

If you building this out at your current office, say an existing conference room or multiperson admin office then the cost should be minor for the buildout. I wouldn't worry about gauze, bandaids, etc. You will already have this stuff at your office and the cost of that stuff is nothing in the overall picture. The cost of all this is small for the amount it will benefit you and your patients. I am doing twice as many injections in my private office than I was doing at the hospital. The hospital would lose patients during the auth, scheduling process and also the cost was a factor as well. I am sure the same is for your ASC. ASC is great for trials and implants though financially. Just not the best site for injections.
Homerun post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I need to set up a bunch of affiliate links and I will be able to retire in no time on the commission on the latex gloves.

Reactions: 4 users

Autoclave for the RF probes I'm presuming? My residency and fellowship programs both throw them away which seems wildly wasteful.

Your cost for a disposable RF probe is $100. So if you are using 3 needles bilateral are you opening 1, 2, or 3 of them? Incredibly wasteful either of your money or your time. You are moving a huge chunk of the profit over to your RF supplier by using disposables. You are also filling up your sharps bin rapidly which can be costly and creating a large amount of waste. So there are 3 reasons to not use disposable probes. I have a handful of disposable probes that I have on standby for emergency use only. Like if the autoclave goes down, staff forget to clean them from the day before, etc. hopefully they don’t get used until the day they expire.

Hi Bob Barker
Can you please share a link to whom to contact to buy a Genoray Classic? The Genoray website was not helpful

This should be a sticky

@lobelsteve

@BobBarker great list

I have an AED and a banyan brand crash cart(neither ever used).

I think @ampapba (rip) posted that got sanctioned by his state med board for not having suction in his procedure suite after an adverse patient event.

Do any of you guys have quotes on 2 vs 4 probe RF machine? Involved in new ASC and admin insisting on two probe machine for "cost savings". I only imagine this is going to add procedure time and headaches down the road.

Out of curiosity, what model is that for 58,000$ and what's it been like so far?

I think @ampapba (rip) posted that got sanctioned by his state med board for not having suction in his procedure suite after an adverse patient event.
Hm. What if you have a straw and a really good pair of lungs?

Oscar classic 9”. It is good for an office. I wouldn’t use it for a DRG trial on a 300lb man but good for regular office stuff. I have access to OEC flat panels at both hospitals so that spoils you quick.

Do any of you guys have quotes on 2 vs 4 probe RF machine? Involved in new ASC and admin insisting on two probe machine for "cost savings". I only imagine this is going to add procedure time and headaches down the road.
Just run the numbers of increased procedure time and staff cost to show them otherwise. Might want to exaggerate how much slower you will be.

BTW, most of the major stim companies also own an RFA company.
I got my 4 lead cosman machine for free because I did 12 Boston implants in a year. Abbott and Medtronic offer similar deals.

Last edited:
Get the 4, thank me later

No option other than 4 probe system unless you want each RFA to take 30 min.

I haven’t had any repairs. There is supposed to be a local rep but I haven’t had to use it yet.

Ordered some more procedure trays and the price had dropped quite a bit. Now around $6.50 for the epidural tray.

Yea, I need to set up a bunch of affiliate links and I will be able to retire in no time on the commission on the latex gloves.
Do you do nitrous sedation? if so which CPT you use?

I just give it away most of the time. On kyphos and trials. I charged $50 for nitrous for an injection the other day. Covered the costs barely but allowed me to do the injection in the office so my fee was much better than doing it in the hopd.

Bob- how many hours do you put in a day "running the business." Do you find this taxing or enervating?

Do you chase down all the authorizations yourself? How reliable are your MA's and how much do you pay them?

This is great stuff

I have only been in full time private practice since January. Not the best resource for these questions. MA’s make between $18 and $23. The one making $23 does the authorizations. I just try to focus on the doctoring aspect and watching the overall overhead. My wife handles the HR issues.
We have an outside billing company and they seem to do a good job. My NP works with them and corrects some of the claims. The NP handles most med prior auths also.

I have only been in full time private practice since January. Not the best resource for these questions. MA’s make between $18 and $23. The one making $23 does the authorizations. I just try to focus on the doctoring aspect and watching the overall overhead. My wife handles the HR issues.
We have an outside billing company and they seem to do a good job. My NP works with them and corrects some of the claims. The NP handles most med prior auths also.
Great thread. New private practice here as well. Trying to lower cost. What are the contents of your epidural tray and general procedure tray. Are you part of any group purchasing organizations to get that low price? Thanks.

Both trays have:
Plastic tray
2 10ml syringes
2 3ml syringes
Sterile 4x4s
18g draw
27g local
Fenestrated drape

The Epidural kit:
Also has 20g 3.5” Tuohy and plastic LOR

I don’t think the price has an anything to do with a GPO. You can order the kits as they are from medline or create your own kit. I would love for multiple of us to buy the same kits and drive the price down even further.

Both trays have:
Plastic tray
2 10ml syringes
2 3ml syringes
Sterile 4x4s
18g draw
27g local
Fenestrated drape

The Epidural kit:
Also has 20g 3.5” Tuohy and plastic LOR

I don’t think the price has an anything to do with a GPO. You can order the kits as they are from medline or create your own kit. I would love for multiple of us to buy the same kits and drive the price down even further.
I used to do trays but just open what I need on a sterile drape now. What you described is probably $1 for the basic

I agree on the basic cost but I have minimal
to no assistance and I am scheduling 6 procedures per hour in the office. One day I did the fluoro myself, too. Didn’t do 6/hr that day. 😂 So every second counts.

You can’t make the epidural kits pencil out cheaper dropping individual tuohy’s and LOR. You could do the @lobelsteve method and use a spinal though. I also know some of you guys are using regular syringes instead of LOR syringes.

I agree on the basic cost but I have minimal
to no assistance and I am scheduling 6 procedures per hour in the office. One day I did the fluoro myself, too. Didn’t do 6/hr that day. 😂 So every second counts.

This is me as well. Same volume. I sometimes have an MA in there with me, but not always. Every second counts, and by far the most important part is on/off the table time. No discussing the MRI. Downplay questions asked by the pt unless that discussion is taking place during a procedure.

That's a delicate balance to find where the pt feels heard and not rushed.

Wow, 6 per hour is impressive in the clinic with no help. Who puts the patients in the fluoro room and positions them/gets them up?

MA walks the pt into the procedure room, gets them on the table and exposes the skin. I hand the chloroprep to the MA who cleans the skin while I draw meds. MA may stay in the room or go back out to the recovery area.

I do procedures in a clinic set up and ASC.

In the clinic set up, what I described is how we work. In the ASC there are many other ppl involved, and I'm quite a bit slower bc of it.

This works if the next patient is waiting in the adjoining procedure room and I just finished an injection.

1. I throw sharps away and trash away while rad tech cleans up patient/puts on bandaid. Thank patient for coming today and being a good sport, holding still, etc
2. I do my templated note while rad tech helps patient up . Patient, rad tech, and I are fully engaged in friendly banter during this time.
3. Friendly banter continues. Rad tech helps patient up while I am entering in the next patients information into the C arm. Thank patient again and tell them to schedule f/u visit.
4. Rad tech assists patient out of room while I consent next patient in adjoining room. Rad tech cleans everything with purple wipe.
5. I throw correct tray on the Mayo. We both help position the patient. I or rad tech expose the patient. I prep the patient, usually rad tech is opening the tray but sometimes he is messing with the settinngs and positioning the c arm. If I failed to enter the patients information into the C arm as I was needed to help get the previous patient up then he does it at this time.
6. We finish by opening the tray and dropping needles. Whoever gets to each task first. Draw up meds.
7. Begin next injection.

I tend to open the trays for the first 2 to 3 pts before we start. That helps.

I just give it away most of the time. On kyphos and trials. I charged $50 for nitrous for an injection the other day. Covered the costs barely but allowed me to do the injection in the office so my fee was much better than doing it in the hopd.
Can you tell us more about the nitrous setup? I’d like to be able to offer it in-office and take fewer RFAs to the ASC. Is it a portable machine or does your office have built in medical gases? Does it scavenge waste gas so you aren’t breathing it in? How do you apply it for cervical procedures?

If the cost is reasonable I might offer it bundled into bigger procedures, and maybe $50-100 for smaller procedures that I don’t do in the ASC anyway.