This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Al5200

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm applying for pharm school next year. I've been working as a tech at CVS for a few months now, but all I hear about is the negative stigma CVS has.. I recently got offered a job at Medicine Shoppe and one in a local clinic. (I already volunteer in a hospital pharmacy) Should I switch jobs? Would having experience at either of those look better? Or is it just about the same?

Any feedback or advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of how it looks for pharmacy school, it doesn't really matter too much. You can keep working at CVS. It doesn't look any better or worse than local businesses. In terms of you wishing to expand your experience in order to see what different areas of pharmacy are like for yourself, it's your choice if you have enough time in this next year. The negative stigma around CVS is about working there, not respect for the company itself. People who work there hate the job, but the pharmacists aren't (that much) less respected than any other community pharmacy.

I'm a pharmacy tech at CVS, and will be applying to pharmacy schools next year. When talking to the board of admissions at a handful of schools, they all told me they'd rather see longevity as a tech rather than bouncing around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a pharmacy tech at CVS, and will be applying to pharmacy schools next year. When talking to the board of admissions at a handful of schools, they all told me they'd rather see longevity as a tech rather than bouncing around.

How did you go about in attaining a job as pharmacy tech at cvs? The one close to me requires past experience.

It's stressful because CVS requires so much customer service with so little staff, but if you've worked at CVS you can work anywhere. I recommend you stick with it, especially at a busy store because you learn so much that puts you in a good position for pharmacy school.

Is it crucial to have some experience working at a pharmacy for acceptance? I have a ton of experience at hospitals and clinics but none with pharmacy.

Is it crucial to have some experience working at a pharmacy for acceptance? I have a ton of experience at hospitals and clinics but none with pharmacy.
I wouldn't say it's crucial but I think the experience gives you a lot to talk about and proves to them you're serious about pharmacy. On the other hand, you say you have experience at hospitals and clinics so that's still substantial

I worked at CVS for 1 year and knew 10x as much as other students who have been working in small pharmacies since high school. CVS is at least good for the experience, and if you can handle a high volume CVS you can handle any pharmacy.

I worked at CVS for 1 year and knew 10x as much as other students who have been working in small pharmacies since high school. CVS is at least good for the experience, and if you can handle a high volume CVS you can handle any pharmacy.
I second this. If you can work at a busy CVS you can work anywhere hands down.

Reactions: 1 user
How did you go about in attaining a job as pharmacy tech at cvs? The one close to me requires past experience.

All the CVS stores around me are in desperate need for techs so they hire with no experience. I got interviews at 4 stores before I even was certified, then again I did apply to 10 stores.

It's stressful because CVS requires so much customer service with so little staff, but if you've worked at CVS you can work anywhere. I recommend you stick with it, especially at a busy store because you learn so much that puts you in a good position for pharmacy school.
My store is so busy too! 500+ scripts a day. It has me so discouraged, but I'm trying to stick with it.

My store is crazy slow, about 1200 scripts a week. But we're still newer in our area, we're only 2 years old and the only CVS within 60 miles in any direction. I was interviewed at a hospital pharmacy, and the pharmacy director there said CVS is the hardest retail place he's worked because you're expected to do SO much with no help.