explaining a "gap" after med shcool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

playingfrombehind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
would you guys put a separate heading prior to your personal statement "explanation of gap year"?

ERAS also asks this question "Was your medical education/training extended or interrupted?"
I graduated on time without gaps during medical school. But I did not apply to match during 4th year instead will apply this year. Can I still indicate "no" because I did not have gaps during medical school

Members don't see this ad.

I would say not, since you have a year between medical school and residency so that would be consider a gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, your medical training was interrupted for a gap year. I wouldn't put a separate heading in your PS just be sure to mention what you did during that year.

would you guys put a separate heading prior to your personal statement "explanation of gap year"?

ERAS also asks this question "Was your medical education/training extended or interrupted?"
I graduated on time without gaps during medical school. But I did not apply to match during 4th year instead will apply this year. Can I still indicate "no" because I did not have gaps during medical school
Hello,
Taking a gap year after graduating medical school is NOT considered an interruption in education or training. An interruption would be taking a semester off or some type of time off that delayed your graduation year. Keep in mind that your interviewers will ask about this "gap year". As long as you did something productive it should be okay, however over 90% of residency applicants apply to residency during medical school. Most people that take a gap year do so because they did not match the first time around. You need to address this in your personal statement but do not need to put a separate heading, instead explain why you chose this path maybe in a separate paragraph. Try to be as clear as possible because you would not want any program director to doubt you or think you are hiding something. Good luck!
Hope this helps! - M.D. author/editor with BoardVitals