Explanation Statement Advice Needed: UIUC Hopeful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lafrantz1

Illinois c/o 2026
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In 2017, I was disciplined for a student code of conduct violation in which I had a hamster in my dorm. I was required to meet with the Residence Hall Coordinator and compose a paper explaining why pets are not allowed in the dorms. Looking back, I know it was an irresponsible and immature decision. I have definitely grown from this experience, developed stronger morals, and improved my decision making skills. I hope to use this negative experience to educate others about the decisions surrounding pet ownership.

This violation does not appear on my transcript, but is in my student conduct report, so I feel that I need to list it on my application. I plan to write an explanation statement regarding how I have grown from the experience (outlined above).

Does anyone have tips for writing an explanation statement on this sort of violation? Is this past mistake going to keep me from getting accepted to UIUC? Should I mention that I have strengthened my morals or does that make it seem that my past self had no morals whatsoever? And is it advisable to include that I hope to use this experience to educate others on the decisions surrounding pet ownership?

I'm definitely feeling a little anxious about this portion of my application!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think having a hamster in your room is going to prevent you from getting into vet school. Things more like cheating multiple times would be more concerning. I think as long as you write your explanation statement and what you learned from the situation, you should be fine in that regard

Hell. Is this even worth mentioning in the explanation statement?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think having a hamster in your room is going to prevent you from getting into vet school. Things more like cheating multiple times would be more concerning. I think as long as you write your explanation statement and what you learned from the situation, you should be fine in that regard
I was hoping it wouldn't impact my application too much! Do you feel like everything I listed above (with more specific details) will make a good explanation statement? I can't decide if it's appropriate or not to explain that I hope to use this violation to help educate others. It's true, but I also don't want it to come off like I'm proud of the experience in any way.

Hell. Is this even worth mentioning in the explanation statement?
I'm definitely unsure! I just felt like since it's somewhat of a red flag, I should address it! I don't want to call more attention to it than necessary, but I also don't want it to seem like I blatantly just disregard rules and didn't learn anything from the experience.

Maybe UIUC peeps would know, but is it even necessary to divulge this information? It's not an Honor Code violation like cheating for example, unless your undergrad considers these to be of the same level of transgression. If you had had a banned item like a hot plate etc in your room, would you have received the same write up?

Or reach out directly to vet school admissions and ask them if this type of transgression needs to be noted on your application.

Maybe UIUC peeps would know, but is it even necessary to divulge this information? It's not an Honor Code violation like cheating for example, unless your undergrad considers these to be of the same level of transgression. If you had had a banned item like a hot plate etc in your room, would you have received the same write up?

Or reach out directly to vet school admissions and ask them if this type of transgression needs to be noted on your application.
I did speak to an admissions representative about it during a Q&A session, and she said to list it, but didn't elaborate on whether or not an explanation statement would be needed.

I'm definitely unsure! I just felt like since it's somewhat of a red flag, I should address it! I don't want to call more attention to it than necessary, but I also don't want it to seem like I blatantly just disregard rules and didn't learn anything from the experience.
My statement was meant to be tongue in cheek or mildly sarcastic. You weren't a terrible person for having the hamster in the first place and you're not a saint for having been caught and acknowledging your mistake. I mean, how much can a person really grow after being caught with a hamster in a dorm room?

I would put it down where VMCAS has you list student conduct and leave it at that.

Reactions: 3 users