Explanation statement on VMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, as I've mentioned before a couple times on SDN, I'm 65% deaf. Sometimes this causes me to have difficulties in large classes and lecture halls because I can't hear- even though I sit in the front row. I'm playing my PS on overcoming challenges, is it worth it to put that in an explanation statement, or is it just overkill?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It is worth mentioning for sure. But if it is in your PS there isn't a need for an explanation statement. What are you "explaining", yanno?

Members don't see this ad.

Very true. It's just weird to me to leave it blank, but I probably will since I explain it in my PS.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm leaving my explanation statement section blank:)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So, as I've mentioned before a couple times on SDN, I'm 65% deaf. Sometimes this causes me to have difficulties in large classes and lecture halls because I can't hear- even though I sit in the front row. I'm playing my PS on overcoming challenges, is it worth it to put that in an explanation statement, or is it just overkill?

I have a significant hearing problem as well, though I've never been formally diagnosed with anything, so it's probably not nearly as severe as yours. It's affected my jobs in that my saying "excuse me?" or "what?" or "sorry?" causes some people (namely veterinarians) to get annoyed with me and sometimes they'll even just assume I don't understand anything they're saying, ever. It's partly on me because I don't make it known to everyone that I may need things repeated, but folks have also forgotten that I told them (which is totally understandable!). Have you ever had issues with this, especially when working at clinics??

Anyway, like LIS said - it's definitely worth mentioning somewhere, since it does have an impact, but probably not on your explanation statement, unless it has affected something significant on your application.

Mostly, I'm sorry that you deal with this, I know how hard it can be!!!

I have a significant hearing problem as well, though I've never been formally diagnosed with anything, so it's probably not nearly as severe as yours. It's affected my jobs in that my saying "excuse me?" or "what?" or "sorry?" causes some people (namely veterinarians) to get annoyed with me and sometimes they'll even just assume I don't understand anything they're saying, ever. It's partly on me because I don't make it known to everyone that I may need things repeated, but folks have also forgotten that I told them (which is totally understandable!). Have you ever had issues with this, especially when working at clinics??

Anyway, like LIS said - it's definitely worth mentioning somewhere, since it does have an impact, but probably not on your explanation statement, unless it has affected something significant on your application.

Mostly, I'm sorry that you deal with this, I know how hard it can be!!!

I've definitely had issues with hearing/ having people repeat things multiple times. The other day, I was back in the kennels, dogs were barking, the dryer was drying and my veterinarian came in to talk to me. I had to (politely) stop him and ask him if we could move to another room. I couldn't hear anything at all.

The worst for me, is that I hate having people repeat stuff. I can see them getting frustrated, but even though I'm actively listening/ watching their mouth it's still hard to catch it all.

I'm sorry you have to deal with hearing loss as well! It's no fun! Especially if you get tinnitus with it like I sometimes do. Woo!

My two cents on the "TMI" personal statements/explanation section...

The important thing isn't what happened to you. What matters is how you handled it.

I don't want to sound harsh, but lots of people struggle with lots of different hardships. When you start listing them out, then it's kind of asking the committee to decide which ones are "worse" or count more. Just imagine: Applicant A and applicant B have similar applications. Applicant A lost a parent during undergrad, applicant B was raped. Which one should get an interview? Nobody wants to get into that. You definitely don't want to sound like a perpetual victim by putting a laundry list of bad experiences in the explanation statement.

You aren't going to complete veterinary school in a bubble. Life is still going to be happening around you. Things might happen to you. Things might happen to people you love. How are you going to handle that? No one is going to give you a free pass if something happens to you or your loved ones while you're in school. You have to meet the same requirements as everyone else, regardless of what is happening in your personal life. Yes, you might be able to defer or retake a semester or something. There are counseling centers if you need support, etc. But in the end you still have to check all the boxes to graduate, and you still have maintain certain academic standards.

So what matters is how you handled the adversity, not what the adversity was. Resiliency is a very valuable attribute. That's what you want to focus on. What is it about you that allowed you to overcome those challenges? If the committee wants more details about what exactly happened, they'll ask you.

I'm not trying to sound harsh or heartless. I had a lot of crap to deal with as well. But I really didn't talk about it much on my application at all. In my personal statement, I briefly touched on having some adversity to overcome and then spent the rest of it talking about what I had done to overcome it, and what I had achieved since then. I had a lot of bad grades on my transcripts that were 20+ years old when I applied, so I used the explanation section to mention how old those credits were and to show what my GPA would be if those grades were not included in the calculation.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not trying to sound harsh or heartless. I had a lot of crap to deal with as well. But I really didn't talk about it much on my application at all. In my personal statement, I briefly touched on having some adversity to overcome and then spent the rest of it talking about what I had done to overcome it, and what I had achieved since then. I had a lot of bad grades on my transcripts that were 20+ years old when I applied, so I used the explanation section to mention how old those credits were and to show what my GPA would be if those grades were not included in the calculation.

Yes, yes, yes. I honestly feel like the explanation statement shouldn't be used to detail your adversities unless you can talk about how you overcame it and have evidence to back it up.

The important thing isn't what happened to you. What matters is how you handled it.

This times 1,000,000%.

My first two application cycles I didn't put anything for my explanation statement. Like many of you I had personal issues/work/family/grade things. I decided to add an explanation statement my third (successful) application cycle. I changed my major in my senior year, and my grades from my first major were basically all Bs, and my grades in my bio major were all As. I explained how that helped me realize how well suited I was to the subject matter. I had a few semesters where I got Fs/Ws/Ds, and I explained them as a learning experience--I hadn't yet understood what my limits were in terms of obligations, and I overreached by taking 20 units of upper division classes, volunteering, working three jobs, etc. I explained more recent semesters with straight As as showing how I'd matured and developed the ability to better manage my time.

Again, the focus not being so much on what happened, but on how you grew from it/learned from it/reflected on it. I.e. for the OP, "Overcoming immense personal tragedy and struggles with xyz" (other people have discussed how to include/not include different subjects better than I could) "shows my tenacity and grit in the face of struggle. My ability to continue to average Bs despite limited financial support and considerable family care expectations shows how well I coped under extreme pressure, and since then I've gained better knowledge on how to do xyz so I can continue to be successful."

Basically, I liken it to an upsell. You want to present yourself in the most positive light, be the heroine of your own story (while swerving away from sounding trite).

I hope that helps a little. I know the PS and explanation statement were incredibly hard for me to write all three times. And if you don't get in because they think your grades are too low, or other reasons, don't give up. I'm proof you can get in after multiple cycles. I took a bunch of classes to show I could maintain good grades after graduating and while working full time/volunteering. Stuff like that can help show how you've grown.

Again, the focus not being so much on what happened, but on how you grew from it/learned from it/reflected on it. I.e. for the OP, "Overcoming immense personal tragedy and struggles with xyz" (other people have discussed how to include/not include different subjects better than I could) "shows my tenacity and grit in the face of struggle. My ability to continue to average Bs despite limited financial support and considerable family care expectations shows how well I coped under extreme pressure, and since then I've gained better knowledge on how to do xyz so I can continue to be successful."

Ya, I mean, "tenacity" is exactly one of the words I used in the explanation statement I shared. It was a mix of what happened and what I did to overcome it. I dunno if you all were talking about mine specifically or what, though.

So!!! A friend helped me re-write it. There is still a question of whether I should utilize the section at all, but perhaps the re-write will help that decision (or rather, suggestion of a decision, haha). It's still too long and it's already been shortened, so any suggestions on that would be great as well :)

My undergraduate career has spanned three colleges and six years, family deaths and personal hardships, but despite the struggles along the way I will graduate in 2017 with more confidence than ever in the path I have chosen.

I attended ________ after graduating high school. Two weeks into the Fall semester, the unexpected death of my live-in grandmother required me to return home to care for my young siblings. During my year away from school, I maintained full-time employment.

Resolute to continue my education but solely responsible for my tuition, I attended _____ as a part-time student in the Fall of 2012, remaining employed part-time to manage financial obligations. I obtained financial assistance from my family during subsequent semesters and was able to attend school full-time. While working at a veterinary hospital, leading the Biology Club as President, and serving as a Peer Advisor in the academic advising office, I managed to maintain a B+ average. My dedication to academics and extracurricular activities brought about a unique opportunity not often available to community college students - a transfer to Cornell University.

Shortly after transferring in the Fall of 2014, my family faced another death, which led to my decision to withdraw from several classes. In the Spring of 2015, I decided to take a year off to help my family and regroup as I received treatment for depression and anxiety, but maintained a job as Student Coordinator of the Cornell Leadership Program for Veterinary Students. This introduced me to biomedical research, inspiring me to find my current position as a laboratory technician, where I work on a project pending for publication.

In January 2016, I was diagnosed with ADHD. This diagnosis shed light on my various academic difficulties. I am currently still working through a medication regimen with my provider and receive weekly counseling to improve my time management, coping strategies for traumatic events, and focus and attention.

Though my path to obtaining my undergraduate degree has been unconventional, my experiences have imparted me with wisdom and resilience. I have developed effective strategies for managing my ADHD, depression, and anxiety, all of which have provided me with a unique tenacity to continue to work hard despite difficult circumstances. Most importantly, I have gained diverse and invaluable work experience in the veterinary field during the interruptions of my education. I believe that the personal and academic hurdles I have overcome have given me the strength and perseverance to handle the rigors of veterinary school.

So!!! A friend helped me re-write it. There is still a question of whether I should utilize the section at all, but perhaps the re-write will help that decision (or rather, suggestion of a decision, haha). It's still too long and it's already been shortened, so any suggestions on that would be great as well :)

My undergraduate career has spanned three colleges and six years, family deaths and personal hardships, but despite the struggles along the way I will graduate in 2017 with more confidence than ever in the path I have chosen.

I attended ________ after graduating high school. Two weeks into the Fall semester, the unexpected death of my live-in grandmother required me to return home to care for my young siblings. During my year away from school, I maintained full-time employment.

Resolute to continue my education but solely responsible for my tuition, I attended _____ as a part-time student in the Fall of 2012, remaining employed part-time to manage financial obligations. I obtained financial assistance from my family during subsequent semesters and was able to attend school full-time. While working at a veterinary hospital, leading the Biology Club as President, and serving as a Peer Advisor in the academic advising office, I managed to maintain a B+ average. My dedication to academics and extracurricular activities brought about a unique opportunity not often available to community college students - a transfer to Cornell University.

Shortly after transferring in the Fall of 2014, my family faced another death, which led to my decision to withdraw from several classes. In the Spring of 2015, I decided to take a year off to help my family and regroup as I received treatment for depression and anxiety, but maintained a job as Student Coordinator of the Cornell Leadership Program for Veterinary Students. This introduced me to biomedical research, inspiring me to find my current position as a laboratory technician, where I work on a project pending for publication.

In January 2016, I was diagnosed with ADHD. This diagnosis shed light on my various academic difficulties. I am currently still working through a medication regimen with my provider and receive weekly counseling to improve my time management, coping strategies for traumatic events, and focus and attention.

Though my path to obtaining my undergraduate degree has been unconventional, my experiences have imparted me with wisdom and resilience. I have developed effective strategies for managing my ADHD, depression, and anxiety, all of which have provided me with a unique tenacity to continue to work hard despite difficult circumstances. Most importantly, I have gained diverse and invaluable work experience in the veterinary field during the interruptions of my education. I believe that the personal and academic hurdles I have overcome have given me the strength and perseverance to handle the rigors of veterinary school.
On top of being too long, it kind of sounds like a continuation of a personal statement or at least a summary of one. The directions expressly say to NOT do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
On top of being too long, it kind of sounds like a continuation of a personal statement or at least a summary of one. The directions expressly say to NOT do that.

Honestly, that's what I thought!! I think my friend who helped me with it doesn't have a lot of experience with the explanation statement, rather just with the personal statement. Don't know for sure though. I haven't rewritten my personal statement yet, but I was thinking of going in another direction (like, totally different from this) with it, though maybe that doesn't make a difference. Maybe I just shouldn't use the explanation statement, and incorporate this into my PS.

Edit: I checked the directions just to make sure, and it doesn't say anything about what you mentioned. Not that it matters, because you are probably right either way.

@sheltermed It sounds WAY more positive than your original draft. If your life experiences have shaped you as much as you say they have (which, I imagine they would), why not use this content for your personal statement and forgo the explanation statement altogether?

@sheltermed It sounds WAY more positive than your original draft. If your life experiences have shaped you as much as you say they have (which, I imagine they would), why not use this content for your personal statement and forgo the explanation statement altogether?
I was thinking I might do that. My only thing is that I feel like it'd take away from the uniqueness of my PS that I'm aiming for. It's kind of hard to explain. I think I'll try to write another PS draft and see how it goes!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

It's awfully long.....

On the plus side, it focuses on the positive. On the positive, it kinda ends on a note of "still working on it!", which might leave some evaluators with an uneasy feeling.

It feels to me like too much information. In the end, I'm kinda left trying to figure out what exactly you're 'explaining'. Grades? Why it took 6 years to get through undergrad (hey, who cares how long it took?)?

I lean toward thinking you should either ditch it completely, or streamline it significantly. Not sure which is better.

It's awfully long.....

On the plus side, it focuses on the positive. On the positive, it kinda ends on a note of "still working on it!", which might leave some evaluators with an uneasy feeling.

It feels to me like too much information. In the end, I'm kinda left trying to figure out what exactly you're 'explaining'. Grades? Why it took 6 years to get through undergrad (hey, who cares how long it took?)?

I lean toward thinking you should either ditch it completely, or streamline it significantly. Not sure which is better.

Explaining a couple things - the two year-long gaps in my education and my 3.1.

As someone mentioned to me recently, I've never been a "bad" student. I've kept a B to B+ average for my entire undergraduate career (B- for the first time this past semester), and have never had any particular time where my grades tanked. I'm not sure if that counts for anything. So, technically, I'd say I don't really need to explain my grades. They just haven't been STELLAR. What I'm hoping to convey is that I've had several unfortunate circumstances that have perhaps held me back from getting that A average in at least a few semesters. I've always been very busy during school--between working, volunteering, and other extracurricular stuff--I've always kept up the Bs, on top of dealing with the mental health/ADHD issues. So, I was thinking that this statement could also show that "hey, I've been doing lots of things while in school and also dealing with my lack of ability to focus, but I've still never done particularly poorly on anything...."

I have been leaning towards ditching the explanation statement and trying to include this info in my PS. My problem is that I was hoping to go in another direction with my PS, trying to make it "unique" or something...and I feel that including my various shortcomings would take away from the flow of it/not belong.

Everything is evident on my application - it will be obvious that I have always been busy while in school. The only thing that won't be obvious (if I don't include the explanation statement and if I don't include the info in my PS) is that I've had the mental health issues/deaths/etc.

Everything is evident on my application - it will be obvious that I have always been busy while in school. The only thing that won't be obvious (if I don't include the explanation statement and if I don't include the info in my PS) is that I've had the mental health issues/deaths/etc.

It's a tough call.

I personally would lean toward leaving it out. Including it may raise red flags that otherwise weren't going to get raised.

But I can see wanting to leave it in, too.

If you leave it in, though, I'd find some way to shorten it up.

It's a tough call.

I personally would lean toward leaving it out. Including it may raise red flags that otherwise weren't going to get raised.

But I can see wanting to leave it in, too.

If you leave it in, though, I'd find some way to shorten it up.

What do you (others are free to chime in too, if you have thoughts) think about being a B student? Obviously there are tons of applicants who are busy during school, but also still manage As and everything. Is the fact that I've been pretty much a straight-B student not something to be happy-ish about? I only ask because I've kept saying that I've never had a real tank in my grades, they've been consistent - but I'm not sure if this is the kind of consistent that's even remotely desirable to adcoms.

What do you (others are free to chime in too, if you have thoughts) think about being a B student? Obviously there are tons of applicants who are busy during school, but also still manage As and everything. Is the fact that I've been pretty much a straight-B student not something to be happy-ish about? I only ask because I've kept saying that I've never had a real tank in my grades, they've been consistent - but I'm not sure if this is the kind of consistent that's even remotely desirable to adcoms.

Don't really know. Probably depends on the school. I mean, in one sense it's not complicated - to the degree your GPA is 'worse' than other applicants, you have to be 'better' in other ways (experience, killer PS, great interview, good letters, whatever).

Consistent is probably better than starting out with A's and dropping to C'd as you get into harder classes, I would think.

I agree with LIS....either cut out a lot of filler or elect to forego using the statement altogether. Even if it's just to save you characters, I don't know that it's necessarily to walk the reader through each individual step in your undergraduate career. The adcoms can already see what schools you attended, what jobs you've held, etc. For example, you could consider paring down your 3rd paragraph to something as simple as "Due to my dedication that is seen in my many responsibilities, I was able to transfer to Cornell." Or whatever. I'm not even sure why you would discuss your Cornell transfer. Remember that you are using this statement to discuss only any issues, red flags, etc. that may be on your application. You also contradict yourself by saying you are working on your ADHD with a provider, but later say you've got it managed.

I think it might help the content along if you briefly describe why you took time off in 2014. I worry that schools might read all of this and think "Well, is she going to drop out if she loses a family member in school? Can she handle family matters while in school?" It may sound a little heartless, but schools want students that give them reasonable confidence that they will finish out the program. Life does not pause because you are in vet school. Some schools give students a really hard time when it comes to family stuff popping up during exams or clinics, depending on what it is. I think you need to find a way to phrase certain things so that it's less "I experienced a loss, so I had to stop going to school briefly." I'm not sure what that phrasing would be (another reason to consider leaving this statement out altogether), but just think on it. This is only my opinion, so if you want to leave it as is, by all means do so. Everyone handles grief differently, just make sure you're not leaving any worries in the reader's mind.

Overall, it doesn't seem to have any direction. Again like LIS said, you don't really specify what you're explaining, you kind of just word vomited your hardships into an essay. Sometimes not talking at all is better than talking too much, and I really do think that may be the case for you. Like you said, your grades were never terrible, and you've managed to get some work experience under your belt too. Taking 6 years to finish undergrad isn't a red flag IMO since many non-traditional applicants are in the same boat. I think you could probably go either way with writing an essay vs. not at all, but make sure any version you do go with is the best it can possibly be.

B's are not grades to be ashamed of, at all. It's just that the average vet school applicant hangs out around a 3.5. This shouldn't prevent you from applying, you just need to apply strategically and kick butt in as many non-academic categories as you can. Watch out for the GPA cutoffs, compare yourself to previous classes, and so on. There are a lot of ways to find the best schools for you. It helps to be in communication with the schools as well, as the buck stops with them. You can certainly ask them if taking longer than the traditional four years is a concern, or if they feel you need to explain mostly B's. Some schools are more open than others. I got my best feedback during file reviews and was pretty frustrated in the answers I got before I applied, but it's worth a shot.

I think being a straight B student is going to affect your application no matter what your explanation is. There's a cut-off GPA for every school and every applicant pool. If you're under it, you won't get an interview. If you're on the lower end, you should have something other than reasons/excuses for bad grades to make your application stand out. Great GRE scores, research experience, publications, glowing LORs... any of these are going to help you way more than any explanation statement. Stop focusing on and talking about what you don't have. The conversation should be about what you are bringing to the table that is going to make you a successful vet student and great veterinarian.

The more you talk about your shortcomings, the more they're going to seem like an issue. Lots of people get into vet school without straight A's (myself included). I think you might be making a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be, and by doing so making the wrong things the focus of your application. They see your transcripts. I personally would let those speak for themselves and talk about the positive things I wanted the committee to consider in addition to my grades.

My first impression is too much fluff, not enough stuff. Buzzwords like resilience, wisdom, tenacity, etc are great - but you have to back them up with substance.

IMHO, all of this should be personal statement stuff. Instead of saying "after (bad thing # whatever happened) I took a break/withdrew/got a bad grade" I would say something like "concurrent with my studies, I maintained ____-time employment, provided care for my younger siblings, was president of the Biology Club, etc. etc. etc. I think it would be appropriate to say what you actually did/learned from those experiences that will benefit you as a veterinary student and a future veterinarian. So many students take on leadership roles with student organizations to bolster their applications but don't actually do anything in that role. So if you started any new initiatives, talk about those. Talk about the research your doing, and how it applies to veterinary medicine. Or if you, say, got a bad grade in genetics and your research is in genetics, talk about how the experience has allowed you to solidify concepts through hands-on experience that were difficult for you to grasp in the abstract. Talk about how that has made you a better student.

I agree with LIS....either cut out a lot of filler or elect to forego using the statement altogether. Even if it's just to save you characters, I don't know that it's necessarily to walk the reader through each individual step in your undergraduate career. The adcoms can already see what schools you attended, what jobs you've held, etc. For example, you could consider paring down your 3rd paragraph to something as simple as "Due to my dedication that is seen in my many responsibilities, I was able to transfer to Cornell." Or whatever. I'm not even sure why you would discuss your Cornell transfer. Remember that you are using this statement to discuss only any issues, red flags, etc. that may be on your application. You also contradict yourself by saying you are working on your ADHD with a provider, but later say you've got it managed.

I think it might help the content along if you briefly describe why you took time off in 2014. I worry that schools might read all of this and think "Well, is she going to drop out if she loses a family member in school? Can she handle family matters while in school?" It may sound a little heartless, but schools want students that give them reasonable confidence that they will finish out the program. Life does not pause because you are in vet school. Some schools give students a really hard time when it comes to family stuff popping up during exams or clinics, depending on what it is. I think you need to find a way to phrase certain things so that it's less "I experienced a loss, so I had to stop going to school briefly." I'm not sure what that phrasing would be (another reason to consider leaving this statement out altogether), but just think on it. This is only my opinion, so if you want to leave it as is, by all means do so. Everyone handles grief differently, just make sure you're not leaving any worries in the reader's mind.

Overall, it doesn't seem to have any direction. Again like LIS said, you don't really specify what you're explaining, you kind of just word vomited your hardships into an essay. Sometimes not talking at all is better than talking too much, and I really do think that may be the case for you. Like you said, your grades were never terrible, and you've managed to get some work experience under your belt too. Taking 6 years to finish undergrad isn't a red flag IMO since many non-traditional applicants are in the same boat. I think you could probably go either way with writing an essay vs. not at all, but make sure any version you do go with is the best it can possibly be.

B's are not grades to be ashamed of, at all. It's just that the average vet school applicant hangs out around a 3.5. This shouldn't prevent you from applying, you just need to apply strategically and kick butt in as many non-academic categories as you can. Watch out for the GPA cutoffs, compare yourself to previous classes, and so on. There are a lot of ways to find the best schools for you. It helps to be in communication with the schools as well, as the buck stops with them. You can certainly ask them if taking longer than the traditional four years is a concern, or if they feel you need to explain mostly B's. Some schools are more open than others. I got my best feedback during file reviews and was pretty frustrated in the answers I got before I applied, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Much of the content I included were at the suggestion of a friend who is a current vet student, including the transfer to Cornell. I guess the idea was to show that even though bad things happened, I was still able to do/achieve good things.

Either way, I think I am going to ditch most of this after all. I've made a new PS outline that can viably include a lot of this information. I may put one or two things in the explanation statement that wouldn't make a lot of sense in the PS, but it will be super brief and to the point.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Much of the content I included were at the suggestion of a friend who is a current vet student, including the transfer to Cornell. I guess the idea was to show that even though bad things happened, I was still able to do/achieve good things.

Either way, I think I am going to ditch most of this after all. I've made a new PS outline that can viably include a lot of this information. I may put one or two things in the explanation statement that wouldn't make a lot of sense in the PS, but it will be super brief and to the point.
Like I said, it's all my opinion! It doesn't mean that I'm right or wrong, it's just what I think. It sounds like you've got a good plan though, good luck! There are a lot of willing proofreaders on this forum, too!

I withdrew from an entire semester, and talk about it in depth in my personal statement (where I feel it is more appropriate, as it relates to my preparedness for vet school). Should I mention this in the explanation statement, and to what extent should I?

I withdrew from an entire semester, and talk about it in depth in my personal statement (where I feel it is more appropriate, as it relates to my preparedness for vet school). Should I mention this in the explanation statement, and to what extent should I?
If you already addressed it in your PS, there's no need to include an explanation statement about it as well. Personally I think it would be better addressed in an explanation statement, and use that space in your PS to discuss other things, but there's no need to be redundant.

So I have two things that I think I should put in an explanation statement. First of all, I did VERY poorly in two gen chem classes, but I was a junior in high school. I was called a "pre-view" student, I paid no tuition, and no one told me that whatever grades I received would apply to my GPA should I end up going to that college as a full time student. Meaning I started college with a >1 GPA, which has dragged me down for my entire college career.
Second, I have suffered from depression and anxiety for about 7 years, but as a very independently minded person, I refused to get help until it got to a very bad point this past fall semester. I recognized that it would be dangerous to continue trying to "fix myself," while never actually getting anywhere, so I started seeing a therapist about once a week (it's been less over the summer because of my work schedule). My grades for last spring semester improved, and I feel like that upward trend will continue for my last year and for the classes I'll be taking after I graduate.
(I'm definitely not applying anytime soon, but I figured I would get input while this thread is alive lol)

So I have two things that I think I should put in an explanation statement. First of all, I did VERY poorly in two gen chem classes, but I was a junior in high school. I was called a "pre-view" student, I paid no tuition, and no one told me that whatever grades I received would apply to my GPA should I end up going to that college as a full time student. Meaning I started college with a >1 GPA, which has dragged me down for my entire college career.
Second, I have suffered from depression and anxiety for about 7 years, but as a very independently minded person, I refused to get help until it got to a very bad point this past fall semester. I recognized that it would be dangerous to continue trying to "fix myself," while never actually getting anywhere, so I started seeing a therapist about once a week (it's been less over the summer because of my work schedule). My grades for last spring semester improved, and I feel like that upward trend will continue for my last year and for the classes I'll be taking after I graduate.
(I'm definitely not applying anytime soon, but I figured I would get input while this thread is alive lol)
I think both of those things would be appropriate to address in an explanation statement, assuming that your GPA does continue an upward trend. I'm not sure what your question is here?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I just wanted opinions on if I should indeed include those whenever I apply.