This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

post-bacc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A major piece of medicine is being able to connect with patients, and to address their concerns and needs accurately. While the “book” knowledge required to gain admission to medical school (biology, organic chemistry, physics, etc.) and MCAT scores are certainly important, the skills that aspiring students can learn from interacting with patients via patient volunteering and physician shadowing (“experientials”) are also critical to future success.

Coming from professional backgrounds, we have an advantage that many undergraduates do not have- we have been in advanced social interactions are able to handle ourselves with poise and confidence. We’ve had to deal with the ups and downs of end of quarter reporting, travel schedules, deliverables that did not materialize, and internal red tape that made no sense, so we are certainly more seasoned than a college senior trying to coordinate time with a group to work on a project due in two days. This experience is paramount when interacting with patients and with physicians!

Because the “experientials” are a wealth of knowledge, start doing them on the side (night shifts, early morning shifts, and/or weekends) while still in your current career. Some folks think medical schools make a big deal of paid vs. unpaid experientials, though, at this stage in the game, let’s focus on getting in front of patients and learning. Obviously, medicine is a thought on your mind, though, before jumping in fully, make sure this makes sense.

Start by contacting your local hospital and asking what “patient volunteering” opportunities are available. Some hospitals may offer a “HELP” (Hospital Elder Life Program) opportunity, where you will accompany patients ages 70 and older in their rooms during meal time, with the goal of engaging them in conversation and keeping them mentally stimulated during their hospital stays to reduce the incidence of delirium. These shifts last four hours and are an exceptionally easy way to understand what it is like to interact with patients, and to begin to learn the operations of a hospital.

Success tip: after gaining patient shadowing experience, see if you can build relationships with doctors, as you can leverage these relationships to shadow them. There is a massive difference between stopping into patients’ rooms for meals and shadowing a physician who is responsible for patient care.

Keep the following thoughts in mind while reflecting on your patient volunteering:

1) Has this experience been/not been appealing? Could you see yourself in this setting for the next X years?

2) What role(s) have you observed around the hospital that are appealing (Nurse, Patient Care Technician, Physician Assistant, Physician, Quality Improvement Coordinator, etc.)?

Once the patient volunteering experience is well in hand, begin to consider if this seems appropriate and to understand if you should be taking the next step to shadowing physicians. If so, hospitals obviously have 24/7/365 availability, and the hospital may have a “shadowing coordinator” who can help you schedule physician shadowing to fit your availability. Consider shadowing as many specialties as possible (anesthesia, pediatrics, surgery, neurology, cardiology, etc.), as certain things will attract you more than others, and they are vastly different experiences.

After beginning your patient volunteering experience and/or physician shadowing experiences, take time to reflect. Is this REALLY something that you see yourself doing? If so, let’s put together a plan to understand how to set up your academics and current career to make this work!

Members don't see this ad.

This is great advice, particularly for those who are still in the workforce and simultaneously planning their transition to med school. This is exactly where I am at this moment. I am working but taking care of the financial planning, academic research, meeting with professional school advisors at my undergraduate institution, etc. I am ready to start my pre reqs now but I can't because of the financial plan I have created to make sure my family is taken care of and all my boxes are checked prior to leaving my current job. I plan to start shadowing and volunteering in the next couple of months.

Gaining experience through patient contact opportunities and physician shadowing are ways to actively work to enhance your application, as well as gain a deeper understanding of the day to day situations that physicians face while still working at your regular job. Doing this will help me feel like I am proactively taking steps toward my goal even now. Preparing for med school as a non-trad with family and work obligations is a process...just like med school is a process. I notice that folks tend to get so focused on the end result that they forget about the journey and the process you go through to get there. I plan to enjoy this process, meeting people and learning everything I can along the journey just to be prepared to apply to med school. When I cross that hurdle and get accepted I will enjoy the process of becoming a physician - the good and the bad. Anything worth doing has some tough elements to it. If I've learned anything in the last 20 years since I graduated from college it is that life goes quick. You better embrace all aspects of the journey/process of working toward your goals, not just on the end result.

Great advice!

Hi Cathollertx,

You are absolutely right. The planning that goes into this is crucial, and you are doing the right thing by making sure your financial plan is set in place before "jumping in" to this experience, because once you start, it is important to stay focused and to really understand if this is what you want to be doing, and to ensure that it works for you and for your family. You've got a very accurate viewpoint- that gaining patient experience is as much of a way to build our resumes as it is a way to make sure that we actually could see ourselves moving into medicine; this is a crucial way to make sure we are on the right track.

The process is very fun- you will meet very different people, and many who are more similar to you than you may have thought, because there are many people who are interested in exploring medicine but simply do not try, and you may find many other "post-bacc" students in your classes who have the interest and desire to start down this path.

I'm going to continue to post advice and bits of information that I learn along the way on this site, and for now, I recommend you keep down the path you are going down, and the best part of this is that, by definition, "post-bacc" students are non-traditional. Embrace that, and don't try to become part of the "standard" applicant!

Reactions: 1 user