Extra Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratiocinate

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I am going to finish my BS in 2 years, and will be applying to medical school at the end of these 2 years. This means that I will have a year between application and admission to medical school. What should I do in this time?

I would much rather not spend another year's tuition.

What should I do with this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Research, job, volunteer, travel

Depends on what you've done in the two years as an undergrad. You should work on deficiencies in your application and study for the MCAT if you haven't taken it already. Also make sure you took all your pre-reqs at a university because some med schools don't accept AP/IB courses for pre-reqs.

Essentially, find a lab that you can do research in, a paid position if you can. Work in a clinical setting whether in a volunteering or paid capacity, and do stuff you want because you won't have a chance to once you start medical school.

If your grades and MCAT are fine, research positions or EMT would be a great use of time. You can take a fast course at a community college for emt-b.