Take an extra gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poordrdoof

Reaction score
I was planning to apply this cycle but now I am considering an extra gap year. I just got my MCAT score back as a 514 and I am thinking about retaking it due to my FL average being around 519. Additionally, I’d also be able to publish 2 first name papers within the next year, that would not be on the app cycle this year. Plus additional clinical experience hours to boost the 300 I currently have. Would these changes be substantial enough to warrant an extra gap year?

Members don't see this ad.

Not if your goal is to be a doctor. If you want to go to Harvard, sure. A 514 is perfectly good.

Reactions: 1 user
I was planning to apply this cycle but now I am considering an extra gap year. I just got my MCAT score back as a 514 and I am thinking about retaking it due to my FL average being around 519. Additionally, I’d also be able to publish 2 first name papers within the next year, that would not be on the app cycle this year. Plus additional clinical experience hours to boost the 300 I currently have. Would these changes be substantial enough to warrant an extra gap year?
Do you have enough service orientation community service hours/activities? Over 150? Over 300? Over 500?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You would receive more targeted advice if you shared the information listed out in the below template!

Reactions: 1 user
With medical school applications, I generally recommend that people take the time to do things once and do them right, rather than racing to do them as fast as possible. For example, if your community service hours are light, I would recommend taking the time necessary to beef them up. However, I would be hesitant to retake a 514. It is a perfectly good score and if your retake is not materially better than your initial score, people may question your judgment.

Reactions: 1 users
I also got a 514 after having a higher FL average and did consider retaking. The consensus seems to be that it is not worth it as many (50% I think) actually drop on their retake and most of the ones that do improve only do so by 1-3 points, which does not appear to be that significant of an improvement (confidence band for score).

Agree with others that you should post in WAMC to see how your other ECs are like nonclinical volunteering.