Eye injury right before finals week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soapgirly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am just worried, stressed out and in pain looking for input from others who may have experienced similar things.

I am a junior in college. I am currently taking Genetics, Organic Chemistry, Statistics and History.

I was watching a softball game yesterday, when I bent over to pick something up. At that same time, the third basemen threw the ball in the wrong direction, and it hit me in the face.

I was brought to the emergency room, and told that I have corneal abrasions and a globe injury. My eye is currently extremely bruised and swollen to the point where I can’t hold it open. My vision in that eye is completely blurred.

I am scheduled to see an ophthalmologist for follow up today.

My biggest concern is that I have finals this week. The doctor told me my vision will be significantly impacted for about 2 weeks. My genetics professor told me I could delay my exam as it is tomorrow , however I’m unsure whether I should just try to take my other exams that are later in the week. (3 days from now)

What do you guys think? I don’t want to do poorly on my exams and I know my professors would be understanding, but I don’t want to seem like I’m a “cry baby”.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am just worried, stressed out and in pain looking for input from others who may have experienced similar things.

I am a junior in college. I am currently taking Genetics, Organic Chemistry, Statistics and History.

I was watching a softball game yesterday, when I bent over to pick something up. At that same time, the third basemen threw the ball in the wrong direction, and it hit me in the face.

I was brought to the emergency room, and told that I have corneal abrasions and a globe injury. My eye is currently extremely bruised and swollen to the point where I can’t hold it open. My vision in that eye is completely blurred.

My biggest concern is that I have finals this week. The doctor told me my vision will be significantly impacted for about 2 weeks. My genetics professor told me I could delay my exam as it is tomorrow , however I’m unsure whether I should just try to take my other exams that are later in the week. (3 days from now)

What do you guys think? I don’t want to do poorly on my exams and I know my professors would be understanding, but I don’t want to seem like I’m a “cry baby”.
If you can see well enough to see the test and have had adequate time to prepare then take them. If you can't see the test and/or haven't been able to prepare due to the injury then ask to have them rescheduled. As long as the professors are willing to accommodate I wouldn't worry about how they are going to view you. Not to mention no one should think "cry baby" right after a softball to the eye, that sounds awful...

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I suggest taking an incomplete and taking the finals when you have recovered. Professors are understanding of medical emergencies and will work with you to help you complete the course successfully.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m going to punch the floor before my exam and fracture a bone. Easy way to get out of it, right?

I suggest taking an incomplete and taking the finals when you have recovered. Professors are understanding of medical emergencies and will work with you to help you complete the course successfully.
Isn’t an incomplete viewed as an F though?

The vision thing I wouldn't worry about unless the tests are something you couldn't complete with one eye closed, but if you are in enough pain to require something stronger than tylenol or ibuprofen I would worry about that affecting your grade. If you were watching softball yesterday presumably you have prepared enough for the exams that you only want to delay if you really have to.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m going to punch the floor before my exam and fracture a bone. Easy way to get out of it, right?
Right. I tried to get hit in the face by a softball at full speed. That’s exactly how I wanted to end my semester.

The vision thing I wouldn't worry about unless the tests are something you couldn't complete with one eye closed, but if you are in enough pain to require something stronger than tylenol or ibuprofen I would worry about that affecting your grade. If you were watching softball yesterday presumably you have prepared enough for the exams that you only want to delay if you really have to.
You’re right. A two hour charity softball game that turned into a 6 hour ER visit was me not preparing for my exams. I will never understand the need to be presumptuous to those who are genuinely trying to succeed.

Thank you for your advice. I will take the exams before grades are due, without needing an incomplete grade.

Thank you to those that offered real advice without judgment or assumptions. My professors were very accommodating and understanding. I told one of my professors that I wanted to just take the final at the scheduled time, however he advised me not to. Everything worked out fine and I’m glad that I was open and honest about what happened. I didn’t expect a short game to turn into an accident, ER visit and multiple ophthalmology appointments.

As far as recovery goes, they told me that my vision will hopefully return to normal once the swelling is gone. Hopefully there will be no lasting vision problems.

You’re right. A two hour charity softball game that turned into a 6 hour ER visit was me not preparing for my exams. I will never understand the need to be presumptuous to those who are genuinely trying to succeed.
My point was if you felt like you could do something for 2 hrs just prior to finals that you probably prepared well enough during the semester or quarter that you weren't in some mad scramble to cram before the exams and I would understand not wanting to "waste" that preparation by delaying the exam unnecessarily. That is not at all an insulting assumption. It may be an incorrect assumption I suppose, and if the loss of those 6 hrs plus the ophtho visit time (and whatever time you spend in pain and therefore not studying) is enough to make you not feel prepared then you would want to delay them and I already gave you two excuses to use (pain and not being able to see the exam well enough) so I don't uderstand your objection to my response.