Failed COMLEX 1…freaking out...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMS119

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

Long time lurker here, but now definitely need to post.

So I just failed COMLEX level 1 =( I can't believe it. I studied hard for a solid 4 weeks, and felt 1/2 way decent coming out of the exam. I failed by only a couple points. My comsaes were all in the 500's. Needless to say I'm having a bit of a melt-down here. I know it isn't the end of the world, but its hard not to feel that way.

Basically what happens at my school is that now my third year rotations stop, and i have 1 month of study time before re-doing the exam. So my question is this….how should i go about crushing this exam. Im not just sad, but annoyed and angry that i let this test beat me. I'm taking just today off to go cool off…but tomorrow going to start hitting the books hard.

I have pathoma, UWorld, combank (and school gave us conquest), as well as first aid, clinical micro made easy and high yield neuroanatomy. For those of you who did well on this test, what do you suggest i do for the next 4 weeks in order to maximize my score?

I apologize for the long post i just really needed to vent….

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have the right resources, although UWorld is conspicuously absent. My advice would be to look at your performance profile on both the real thing and the COMSAEs you took and target your weak areas. The disciplines are obviously easier to isolate. OPP is a high-yield source of points, and COMBANK questions in this discipline are very good in my opinion. If you were in a panic during the real exam, I'd recommend reproducing the test environment as closely as possible while studying. Also, try to bang out multiple blocks per day so your endurance is high. But honestly, I think the disconnect between your COMSAE scores and this failure points to a fluke and you should just regroup and crush the thing.

Sorry i did have UWorld as well, my bad. That should be included on the list

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say the #1 thing is to consolidate your sources. 4 weeks isn't enough time for you to jump from book to book. Using 1-2 sources will enhance your ability to memorize/visually recall facts for the test.

I would say go with UWorld and Comquest (I would say both are key), FA, and the main things in Saverese (Viscerosomatics, Chapmans, and all the Key Points highlighted in the boxes). If you can, take notes from UWorld/Comquest (probably pick 1, maybe Comquest because it isn't as dense given you only have 4 weeks time, and write all the take home points from each explanation, esp the ones you got wrong)

And keep doing questions till the end.

Don't get too down on yourself, COMLEX is a ridiculously random test. You probably just had a bad day.

With that said, I would personally focus solely on Uworld and supplement with First Aid and Pathoma as needed. Make sure to really read and understand every explanation in uworld. People under estimate just how great that resource is.

Godspeed OP

Reactions: 1 user
OP,

With your limited time I would focus on microbiology, OMM, Neuro, Psych and Pathoma. A month goes by quick, if you failed by a couple of points you should pass easily the second time. I would review your uworld notes and hit the subjects I listed. I made sure I knew micro well for my test, I focused on the First Aid micro section and it was my best section for the test. Don't ignore OMM either, you need all the easy points you can get. I liked combank for my tests, especially since you can delete each test and hit the same subject multiple times. If you still have uworld, I would try to do the 600 pathology and 200+ micro questions at the very least, if you have done them already once or twice, this time will be much faster

I wouldn't start with any new books, used what you have used already but consolidate as other have said earlier. I would do a few blocks a day earlier in morning and then review, close out the day by going over one of the subjects. You may not want to do so many blocks in the beginning but as you get closer to your test you should be spending time doing more questions.

good luck and make sure you are getting enough sleep during this month. Its gonna be a marathon you will get more stuff done if you are rested in morning.

You can finish Savarese in 2 days and know The answer to a guaranteed good amount of questions in each block. Rack up a bunch of easy points with the knowledge you already have and will gain with the rest of the 28 days in a month and you'll definitely pass it. GL.

So this is all about strategy (or strategery -- take your pick) ----

1) The COMLEX is a poorly written, "Can I buy a vowel, Pat" type of exam so don't blame yourself and don't accuse yourself of having a "lack of knowledge" -- the test is a piece of junk and the younger generation of DOs knows it but the older generation still think that it's a great test of "The Osteopathic Difference" -- bull****, it's a "me too" exam.

2) Now, you have to pass this pig -- don't worry about the scores, just pass the thing -- you can take the USMLE to demonstrate your medical knowledge on an exam that's written really well to test your medical knowledge.

3) So, in the spirit of "Train like you fight" -- do not do UWorld for COMLEX -- the questions are totally different and you need to get the COMLEX "gestalt" -- for me, the best source for that is Comquest and Savarese (5 practice exams that are strangely like the real deal). I tried Combank for COMLEX Level 2 and did the same as Level 1 (used Kaplan for USMLE on that one) scorewise. I used Comquest for Level 3, studied less, used FA way less and increased my score by about 50-70 points. Your mileage may vary, no warranties expressed or implied.

4) Agree with cutting down your resources.

5) Get the "Here's the areas where you suck" report back and look at the high yield areas of suck -- then, embrace the suck -- focus on those areas that are high yield and maintain your other knowledge by setting aside a dedicated review time of those areas to maintain knowledge -- like 2 hours a night to read through those notes. Conside a study buddy (as long as it doesn't turn into a bull**** session) on a regular basis.

6) Spend time when you're fresh and at your peak to bone up on the "You suck at these" areas, then spend time doing blocks of questions both in those areas to cement knowledge and with random blocks to get you used to the random switch from topic to topic that occurs on test day. Try to make it through Comquest at least 2-3 times. For FM boards, I did 5 old in training exams (250 questions a piece) to prepare for a 400 question exam -- you start to see patterns of questions and salient points......

7) Go on youtube and look up motivational speeches -- usually have some sort of a sports theme but that's ok -- you can do this -- winners are self motivated and you wouldn't have gotten to this point by not being a winner -- but we can all use a little help from our friends at times. Do that on a regular basis. Think of all the idiots in your class/classes before you that were able to pass this exam -- some of them were mouth breathers/oxygen thieves and they made it...you go this....

8) Get good sleep and nutrition -- helps with long term retention.

9) Finally -- go kick some ass on this exam ---

Reactions: 9 users
For OPP it would be very wise to go on YouTube and memorize the crap out of the viscerosomatics and chapman points videos that students have uploaded. They walk you through the cheat sheets, all you have to do is watch it, practice it, and have it memorized so well that when you sit down at your computer on test day you can regurgitate every single level and the corresponding points. Trust me this will make OPP less of a headache and allow you to put more time into the poorly written questions and answers.

Lots of good tips here. For what it's worth, COMLEX is a very poorly written exam. I just completed residency and a few of my classmates had failed COMLEX 1 too- and they are awesome doctors.

From your post, it sounds like you go to my alma mater med school. If so, they'll beat you up about it more than anyone, but don't let them scare you. Just do what you have to do to graduate. PM me for more.

Members don't see this ad :)

1) The COMLEX is a poorly written, "Can I buy a vowel, Pat" type of exam so don't blame yourself and don't accuse yourself of having a "lack of knowledge" -- the test is a piece of junk and the younger generation of DOs knows it but the older generation still think that it's a great test of "The Osteopathic Difference" -- bull****, it's a "me too" exam.

2) Now, you have to pass this pig -- don't worry about the scores, just pass the thing -- you can take the USMLE to demonstrate your medical knowledge on an exam that's written really well to test your medical knowledge.

3) So, in the spirit of "Train like you fight" -- do not do UWorld for COMLEX -- the questions are totally different and you need to get the COMLEX "gestalt" -- for me, the best source for that is Comquest and Savarese (5 practice exams that are strangely like the real deal). I tried Combank for COMLEX Level 2 and did the same as Level 1 (used Kaplan for USMLE on that one) scorewise. I used Comquest for Level 3, studied less, used FA way less and increased my score by about 50-70 points. Your mileage may vary, no warranties expressed or implied.

4) Agree with cutting down your resources.

5) Get the "Here's the areas where you suck" report back and look at the high yield areas of suck -- then, embrace the suck -- focus on those areas that are high yield and maintain your other knowledge by setting aside a dedicated review time of those areas to maintain knowledge -- like 2 hours a night to read through those notes. Conside a study buddy (as long as it doesn't turn into a bull**** session) on a regular basis.

6) Spend time when you're fresh and at your peak to bone up on the "You suck at these" areas, then spend time doing blocks of questions both in those areas to cement knowledge and with random blocks to get you used to the random switch from topic to topic that occurs on test day. Try to make it through Comquest at least 2-3 times. For FM boards, I did 5 old in training exams (250 questions a piece) to prepare for a 400 question exam -- you start to see patterns of questions and salient points......

7) Go on youtube and look up motivational speeches -- usually have some sort of a sports theme but that's ok -- you can do this -- winners are self motivated and you wouldn't have gotten to this point by not being a winner -- but we can all use a little help from our friends at times. Do that on a regular basis. Think of all the idiots in your class/classes before you that were able to pass this exam -- some of them were mouth breathers/oxygen thieves and they made it...you go this....

8) Get good sleep and nutrition -- helps with long term retention.

9) Finally -- go kick some ass on this exam ---

Great advice. I like how its written like an A/P except for the fact that it's giving me nightmares from intern year already. And I'm barely 3 weeks in.

Is the younger generation doing anything to try to improve or eliminate COMLEX? The USMLE is such a better test.

I remember a classmate of mine failing, then taking the exam two weeks afterward and passing spectacularly. That's how stupidly arbitrary the Comlex exams are. Whoever runs the organization should do humanity a favor and hang themselves in public.

Why can't they have one standardized test (USMLE) and have that freaking OMM as a separate thing...

Is the younger generation doing anything to try to improve or eliminate COMLEX? The USMLE is such a better test.

Without derailing this thread --- right now the attempts are too disorganized and the political power within the AOA is lacking -- you've got a bunch of old line DOs that experienced discrimination that are determined to keep the "osteopathic difference" (every time I hear that I want to puke) alive....they really haven't gotten a clue that there really is no difference anymore -- OMM is a nice modality which I do use on occasion because my patient's like it and I have helped people with it....I did my residency at the nexus of allopaths here in the southwest and while they were scientific as hell and ran numbers games and predictive tools until they were coming out of your ears (Centor criteria to determine whether or not you did a rapid strep to determine whether or not antibiotics were indicated because for the love of St. Barnabas, we DO NOT want to contribute to resistance patterns in the community) and you were gigged for not knowing that the signs/symptoms of a PE had been turned into a criteria that predicted the percentage chance of a patient having a PE --- drove me nuts -- but in actuality, there really turned out to be no difference.

In my experience, the "osteopathic difference" argument has been used to cover incomplete workups and a more lassez faire attitude.....

To me -- and I'm seriously considering writing a book about my experiences in the DO world from know-nothing OMS1 to now -- it's time to cut the BS, merge into one profession, use one set of exams (USMLE) and treat OMM as a nice "pre-doctoral fellowship" that those who want it can do a year or 2 of to get some real experience and then use it later....it needs to have it's own exam as an adjunct ---

I have actually had a multi-generational DO tell me that in their opinion, the reason the osteopathic patients got better in the early days was that the DOs were not doing the therapies that are now known to kill people -- thus allowing the body time to heal itself...had nothing to do with manipulation.

And since I'm on a rant -- the ORC needs to get it's collective gluteus maximus in gear and address cranial -- should be rather easy to do with all the precision measuring tools available -- to determine if those cranial bones move enough to be palpable and rhythmic or not -----

Again, let's remember we're here to help the OP and not derail this ---

I did my residency at the nexus of allopaths here in the southwest and while they were scientific as hell and ran numbers games and predictive tools until they were coming out of your ears (Centor criteria to determine whether or not you did a rapid strep to determine whether or not antibiotics were indicated because for the love of St. Barnabas, we DO NOT want to contribute to resistance patterns in the community) and you were gigged for not knowing that the signs/symptoms of a PE had been turned into a criteria that predicted the percentage chance of a patient having a PE --- drove me nuts -- but in actuality, there really turned out to be no difference.

lolwut.jpg

.....that's called evidence based medicine and being aware of the public health impact of your practice ...both of which I really hope they're also teaching at DO residencies

Reactions: 1 users
I would solely focus on OMM and then any other of your weakness areas.
For your weakness areas memorize that section in FA, then do questions until you feel confident.

As much as it sucks, try not to let it get you down and take it 1 day at a time. Good luck!

lolwut.jpg

.....that's called evidence based medicine and being aware of the public health impact of your practice ...both of which I really hope they're also teaching at DO residencies

Let's just say that when I used what I was taught in residency (EBM and your standard workups) in my first few months of practice, I was told by an old line DO that I was "thinking too much like an allopath and not being osteopathic" enough..and yes, they were specifically commenting on the EBM.....which makes my point ---

1. Pick 1-2 review books (FA and Saverse would be my rec). Divide them up accordingly. Get through them 2-4 times each.
2. Figure out what your weaknesses are... Your question banks should provide you this info. Make sure when you are going through your review books you slow down and spend extra time on these areas.
3. Questions, questions, questions. And focus on why the right answer is right answer... particularly in UWorld. If you get a question right, be able to explain why its the right answer and why all the other answers are wrong. When you can do this for all the questions you are really learning. My suggestion, if you get a question right and cannot do this, make a 1-liner learning point, write it down in a notebook. Keep adding to this. Re-read this list after every break you take, when you start studying in the morning each day and before you quit each night. You will soon know the things you didn't know very well.
4. Practice question blocks under exam conditions when you get close to test time.

There's a fine line bw content review and question review. Knowing the foundation is only part of the battle, knowing how to answer 400 questions is another. Herein lies the trap that many smart students fall into. They do well in school, perform well on tests, but on these standardized tests, their performance isn't always in line with their abilities.

Assuming you did well in your first two years, you probably have a decent foundation of knowledge. Now it's time to hone your skills at applying that knowledge 400 times in 8 hours. Try to hit something like 3000 questions. You will start to see patterns, and test taking will get easier.

The USMLE and COMLEX are quite different. In fact, I don't think UWorld is even all that great of a COMLEX prep source. It's excellent for USMLE however. Use First Aid and Combank and Comquest.

I like flashcards as well. You can make free decks online at quizlet.com. This is good for viscerosomatics, chapman's points, adverse drug effects, rate limiting enzymes, all that autoantibodies like anti-ccp, Ro, La, anti-histone, etc.

Do the things the people above are saying, but for OMM, hands down, the best source I felt was the practice tests in the back of savarese. You don't have to do them in a testing environment by any means, but go through them. Really made a difference in my OMM performance. Also, make a quick way to write down viscerosomatics (HN,H,R,E, UML- 1,1,2,2,5,9,12 ; 4,5,7,8,9,12,2 type of thing) and write it on a flashcard every day so you can just rattle it off and then write it down the second you go in. I did this and i felt like it was a solid 15 questions alone that i knocked out in 10 seconds, leaving more time elsewhere.

I was being lazy before, but I'll link these YouTube vidoes. Someone in another thread recommended them, and they were excellent for OPP on test day. These take about a few days of practice to be comfortable (~15 min/day). After 5-7 days you should be able to draw these out in your sleep. However, I do not recommend having OPP as your last thought before you fall alseep. You never know how far down the rabbit hole you might go.

best decision i made was memorizing that viscerosomatic video above, write it down the second the test starts.
next i also memorized the gram + and gram - flow charts in first aid. i thought i'd be hard but the last 2 days before my exam i just rewrote it, along with viscerosomatics, till i had it down.
I agree above with spending 2 days to read saverese cover to cover. i didn't have too much omm on my test, but what i had i knew, mostly cause of memorizing the viscerosomatics.

lastly audio goljan, the text that goes along with, and the 37~ish page high yield info he has is GOLD.
i read FA 2014 cover to cover about twice
- focused on my bad areas
- listened to goljan in my downtime
- reread his high yield info a few times...

and that helped.
read the bioterrorism and weird bugs stuff from micro made ridic simple
don't read pathoma, or the goljan path, it's too much for comlex and not worth your time.
focus on high yield material, like gonorrhea and chlamydia and those micro flow charts
also put some focus on upper and lower limb anatomy, muscles, nerves, cause those tend to pop up and go along with OMT material.

also spend a little time on lymphatics, specific areas of nodes, that was a chunk of 5-10 questions that i was not at ALL prepared for.

Took COMSAE A a month and a half ago and got a 363. took COMSAE B recently and got a 365, utterly disappointed.I was averaging almost 60% in COMBANK and 50% in UW. I have done FA twice and am 70% done with UW and COMBANK. I took good notes from both these QBanks and review them every weekend . I was considering taking my exams in the next 4 days but I don't think that's a bright idea. What else can I do to better my performance in the next three-four weeks ? Freaking out please help.

Identify your weak spots. Was it the OMM? Pathology? Pharm? Concentrate on the weak points.

Do as many practice items as you can.

Nearly all people who fail the first time will pass the 2nd time around. Don't fret.

Hi Everybody,

Long time lurker here, but now definitely need to post.

So I just failed COMLEX level 1 =( I can't believe it. I studied hard for a solid 4 weeks, and felt 1/2 way decent coming out of the exam. I failed by only a couple points. My comsaes were all in the 500's. Needless to say I'm having a bit of a melt-down here. I know it isn't the end of the world, but its hard not to feel that way.

Basically what happens at my school is that now my third year rotations stop, and i have 1 month of study time before re-doing the exam. So my question is this….how should i go about crushing this exam. Im not just sad, but annoyed and angry that i let this test beat me. I'm taking just today off to go cool off…but tomorrow going to start hitting the books hard.

I have pathoma, UWorld, combank (and school gave us conquest), as well as first aid, clinical micro made easy and high yield neuroanatomy. For those of you who did well on this test, what do you suggest i do for the next 4 weeks in order to maximize my score?

I apologize for the long post i just really needed to vent….