Comlex 1 Preparation Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoc2000

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a first year DO student and am doing quite well in my blocks so far. :)

I would like to get some tips and advice on preparing for Comlex 1 next year.

Specifically my questions are -

1. What is the best set of recommended prep courses/materials that will help with Comlex 1? I am seeing so many options like TrueLearn (Combank), Comquest, Uworld, Amboss etc. I am not sure which ones are most effective or should I get all of them?

2. The Comlex test site mentions Comsae can be taken individually. Our School will also give us one next year prior to Comlex 1. Is it worth taking Comsae test individually prior to the one administered by the school? If so when and how many times should one take this practice test?

3. The Comlex test site also mentions another prep test called WelCOM. Is that worth taking? If so when and how many times should one take this practice test

4. In general, is this a test that one should start prepping for many months prior or closer in to the test date?

Any other general advice on preparing for the test, timing of the test with respect to blocks etc would be most welcome.

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier, but being a newbie I wanted to hear from the veterans on this site.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Study for Step using UFAPS throughout M2, then cram OMM after Step 1. COMLEX scores don't mean **** compared to Step 2.

Hi,

I am a first year DO student and am doing quite well in my blocks so far. :)

I would like to get some tips and advice on preparing for Comlex 1 next year.

Specifically my questions are -

1. What is the best set of recommended prep courses/materials that will help with Comlex 1? I am seeing so many options like TrueLearn (Combank), Comquest, Uworld, Amboss etc. I am not sure which ones are most effective or should I get all of them?

2. The Comlex test site mentions Comsae can be taken individually. Our School will also give us one next year prior to Comlex 1. Is it worth taking Comsae test individually prior to the one administered by the school? If so when and how many times should one take this practice test?

3. The Comlex test site also mentions another prep test called WelCOM. Is that worth taking? If so when and how many times should one take this practice test

4. In general, is this a test that one should start prepping for many months prior or closer in to the test date?

Any other general advice on preparing for the test, timing of the test with respect to blocks etc would be most welcome.

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier, but being a newbie I wanted to hear from the veterans on this site.

Thanks

1. Choose any resource that fits your learning style. If you are taking step, Uworld is a must. If you are taking COMLEX only, Uworld is not worth the price. Comquest > TrueLearn. Use first aid for USMLE step 1 as a guide for studying and do systems based questions AFTER reviewing the specific topic you are on. AMBOSS is great if you use the pre-made Anki decks, otherwise might not be worth the price unless you get in on the "subscruption until you graduate" which didn't cost too much in the grand scheme of things and you can use it for Step 2 and Comlex 2. I would also recommend UFAPS (Uworld, First Aid, pathoma, sketchy) if you want to take USMLE. sketchy is great for micro. if no USMLE, replace Uworld with a cheaper bank of your choice.

2. Comsaes are for assessing readiness, not a great tool for studying. Take a comsae after you are done studying and if you feel nervous about whether or not you are ready. A Comsae > 600 is desirable. Above 500 is acceptable, you will probably pass, below 500 you should push your exam.

3. Never took WelCOM - new exam.

4. You should prep so your knowledge peaks the day your exam. You should not finish prep like 1 month before your exam date because you will burn out and start to decline. This is personal, but I would recommend 3 months for dedicated studying to peak before your exam.

GL friend.

Reactions: 1 user