Failed COMLEX II and the AOA Match for FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serendipity16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I recently failed my comlex level 2 - plan to retake in November...here's the predicament:

I've already submitted ERAS, already completed 2 interviews, have some lined up and have 4 sub-I's planned. If I keep all the sub-I's I will be studying for my retake while I'm doing these rotations, not the end of the world since I have two months and the hours aren't too bad for FM, but still unsure...

So my question is - would you cancel the Sub-I's to focus on studying for the retake or keep the sub I's? I'm pretty sure canceling the sub-I's wouldn't look good since these are places I also have interviews lined up...thoughts? I need to retake in November to have my score back in time for ranking...

I'm only applying AOA for FM - average student, 430 level 1, avg grades

Advice? Words of encouragement? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I recently failed my comlex level 2 - plan to retake in November...here's the predicament:

I've already submitted ERAS, already completed 2 interviews, have some lined up and have 4 sub-I's planned. If I keep all the sub-I's I will be studying for my retake while I'm doing these rotations, not the end of the world since I have two months and the hours aren't too bad for FM, but still unsure...

So my question is - would you cancel the Sub-I's to focus on studying for the retake or keep the sub I's? I'm pretty sure canceling the sub-I's wouldn't look good since these are places I also have interviews lined up...thoughts? I need to retake in November to have my score back in time for ranking...

Personally I would be upfront and ask the programs if they will consider an applicant with a failed level 2. If they won't them cancel them. Also I would try to take it earlier than November unless you did absolutely horrible? If you have vacation time, I would use it now and try to study for the comlex.

I scored in the 380's...that's a good idea for the audition rotations I have set up - to ask them if the would still consider an applicant with a failure. Do you think I should do this with the programs I have interviews scheduled with as well? THanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
What's considered passing these days? It's been about 6 years since I took level 2. I recalled that exam being pretty easy.

Did you bomb the OMM/OPP portion?

I scored in the 380's...that's a good idea for the audition rotations I have set up - to ask them if the would still consider an applicant with a failure. Do you think I should do this with the programs I have interviews scheduled with as well? THanks!

I would. Why waste the time and money otherwise.

I'm sure most of these AOA FM programs would take a person who failed a COMLEX once as long as he passed subsequently. I'd known of folks who failed twice and still got residencies. Unless things have changed with recruiting, just work your ass off on those away rotations and make nice with the residents/faculty/PD and pass your boards and you're prolly golden. Be sure to tell them they're your #1.

Dear Serendipity, I am in exactly the same boat as you are, except that I haven't submitted for this cycle. I have compiled a list of programs that will consider someone with a failure, and plan to call each of them to get the skinny on the situation. I'd be happy to share what I learn via pm, and just wanted to tell you that you are definitely not alone. I am also concerned about how a late retake will affect this cycle, I've semi-resigned myself to looking at a scramble/ TRI situation depending on what programs tell me. Hang in there! Please feel free to PM me.

Hey I have a question about your original post - when you say you already went on interviews this is for osteopathic stuents? I am a MD student and thought interviews only start for Family Medicine in NRMP soemtime in Sept.

Hey I have a question about your original post - when you say you already went on interviews this is for osteopathic stuents? I am a MD student and thought interviews only start for Family Medicine in NRMP soemtime in Sept.

The AOA match happens earlier than the ACGME, perhaps why he went on interviews earlier.

Yep, I had early interviews since osteopathic programs begin interviews earlier

The AOA match happens earlier than the ACGME, perhaps why he went on interviews earlier.

Always great to know that you are not alone. Yes, please feel free to pm me anytime. I've also been thinking about the realities of having to Scramble or do a TRI. Are you trying to stay in a certain area or open to going anywhere? Thanks for writing!!

Dear Serendipity, I am in exactly the same boat as you are, except that I haven't submitted for this cycle. I have compiled a list of programs that will consider someone with a failure, and plan to call each of them to get the skinny on the situation. I'd be happy to share what I learn via pm, and just wanted to tell you that you are definitely not alone. I am also concerned about how a late retake will affect this cycle, I've semi-resigned myself to looking at a scramble/ TRI situation depending on what programs tell me. Hang in there! Please feel free to PM me.

Do you get "credit" for doing a TRI...does it count as your intern year for FM? So, you would only have 2 years remaining if you were accepted into a residency afterward? Trying to find some good resources for TRI info, but haven't found anything really helpful

Just do a TRI at a program connected to other residencies. The ones in the midwest and FL are strong.

There are usually many FM scramble positions available. Study hard and retake. No reason to cancel anything or make major schedule changes. Study for the exam and work hard to impress the programs where you audition. Worse case is that you scramble.

There are usually many FM scramble positions available. Study hard and retake. No reason to cancel anything or make major schedule changes. Study for the exam and work hard to impress the programs where you audition. Worse case is that you scramble.

Why rotate or interview at a place that won't take someone who failed? It's a poor allocation of resources and time.