Failed MPJE :( Waiver form to speed up ATT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubbles16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently started my residency here and just found out that I failed the MPJE by 2 points :'( I know that it usually takes a month for the new ATT to generate, but my residency director was telling me about how the state board can sometimes waive the processing time (of course not the fee lol) if one is in residency (which makes sense, because if I failed the naplex, I would have to wait 3 months when the contract for residencies state to be licensed within 90 days).

So, of course I called the NABP and they told me that I had to contact the state board. I contacted the state board, and unfortunately only got a voicemail machine stating that the person will be away on vacation until 8/1/16... I don't think there is any other contact person while she is away...??? I emailed them as well.

I called NABP again to see if there was anything that I could do instead of just waiting, but was unfortunately told there wasn't :( Has anyone ever heard of this waiver thing? If so, please do share!! And it does stink that I failed by only 2 points but I do know that there is an option for re-scoring...not sure if that helps though, because it's computer-scored anyway and they'd be just doing the same process again. Has anyone heard of "success stories" with re-scoring (failed but got re-scored and passed)??

Members don't see this ad.

you are just gonna have to wait - why should someone in a residency have a different set of rules? Just hope your site doesn't terminate you due to the delay (we have it written into our policy a resident may be terminated - not will be terminated - two very different things)

I failed the MPJE my PGY-2 year. I was so embarrassed and worried about telling my program director but she was really cool about it and I passed it the second time with flying colors. You'll be ok!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I am just leaving an update here as I was messaged a few times with questions. Firstly, thank you everyone for your advice and support! Right now I am waiting for the ATT to be generated (no waiver for my state) and thankfully my RPD was able to change around my schedule to accommodate. Another resident also failed the MPJE (a few weeks before I failed) and he was able to retake it recently so no one got terminated thankfully. All in all, things worked out--perhaps for the better--because I had lots of projects and events to work on during this time. So if you failed and are in your residency, don't worry! It sucks, but it happens. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user