Failed MS1... Repeating MS1. Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I initially really struggled to start MS1 with my learning disability. I don't get much out of lectures and do best studying one-on-one with another individual. Just listening is too passive. I tried Anki and using my own notes. Then I failed immuno/skin and failed the retest by 2 points due to technical difficulties. Thus I hired a tutor who suggested using Firecracker for everything. I found this helpful so I didn't miss anything important. It really helped me condense the information, but I did this as a first pass. I also found it helpful since it aligned well with Pathoma and Sketchy. All the courses that aligned with Firecracker I did ok. Skin/immunology didn't align well. I'd like to do better academically though.

I used to use Anki for all my studying. I quit as it was too much to make all my notecards. Others sent me their notes so I used that time to study instead. I realize I won't be able to keep up with everyone due to my test anxiety, processing speed impairments, and etc. I'm a slower learner and cannot route memorize all this info. I was able to do well in undergrad but I studied all the time. I haven't gotten a firm study schedule. I cannot read over notes and without Anki I did not have a solid study schedule. I'm trying to learn too much info and struggle to condense the material. I also had trouble finding practice questions that corresponded to my lectures. I've really had a hard time when outside resources don't align well. Lectures don't make sense to me especially neuro. Thus, I went to tutoring. I felt like I needed more time though with them. It takes too much time searching for video that correspond with lectures so I tried to limit myself to boards and beyond. After my concussion 2-3 weeks ago I haven't been the same. My main problem is information acquisition and neuro hit me really hard.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. It's been really hard to cope with this. I feel like a failure. Has anyone been in this position before? I have some ideas of how to improve but wondering if you have any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I initially really struggled to start MS1 with my learning disability. I don't get much out of lectures and do best studying one-on-one with another individual. Just listening is too passive. I tried Anki and using my own notes. Then I failed immuno/skin and failed the retest by 2 points due to technical difficulties. Thus I hired a tutor who suggested using Firecracker for everything. I found this helpful so I didn't miss anything important. It really helped me condense the information, but I did this as a first pass. I also found it helpful since it aligned well with Pathoma and Sketchy. All the courses that aligned with Firecracker I did ok. Skin/immunology didn't align well. I'd like to do better academically though.

I used to use Anki for all my studying. I quit as it was too much to make all my notecards. Others sent me their notes so I used that time to study instead. I realize I won't be able to keep up with everyone due to my test anxiety, processing speed impairments, and etc. I'm a slower learner and cannot route memorize all this info. I was able to do well in undergrad but I studied all the time. I haven't gotten a firm study schedule. I cannot read over notes and without Anki I did not have a solid study schedule. I'm trying to learn too much info and struggle to condense the material. I also had trouble finding practice questions that corresponded to my lectures. I've really had a hard time when outside resources don't align well. My school doesn't focus a tremendous amount on boards for their curriculum. Lectures don't make sense to me especially neuro. Thus, I went to tutoring. I felt like I needed more time though with them. It takes too much time searching for video that correspond with lectures so I tried to limit myself to boards and beyond. After my concussion 2-3 weeks ago I haven't been the same. My main problem is information acquisition and neuro hit me really hard.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. It's been really hard to cope with this. I feel like a failure. Has anyone been in this position before? I have some ideas of how to improve but wondering if you have any advice.
It's time for an LOA.

If you have a documented learning disability, then you need to get accomodations for it.

Reactions: 4 users
I have accommodations already.
It's time for an LOA.

If you have a documented learning disability, then you need to get accomodations for it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to start to do a cost-benefit analysis here. Are you an out-of-state or in-state student at WV? (I believe that is where you are.) ...Because if you are an out-of-state student you are accumulating significant debt. Particularly if you are paying double to repeat your first year. I would hate to see you accumulating >$150K debt and then failing out due to a COMLEX 1/2 failure due to your learning disability.

Reactions: 1 users
I am OOS.
You need to start to do a cost-benefit analysis here. Are you an out-of-state or in-state student at WV? (I believe that is where you are.) ...Because if you are an out-of-state student you are accumulating significant debt. Particularly if you are paying double to repeat your first year. I would hate to see you accumulating >$150K debt and then failing out due to a COMLEX 1/2 failure due to your learning disability.

I am OOS.

Keep trying to get through year 1, but also start to think about some Plan B career choices (with a higher ROI) as well. Be a good consumer and do not accumulate unnecessary debt if your probability of getting through the program at WV looks low.

What type of questions do you get wrong, and how many cards did you make per lecture?

In the first semester of M1 i used to take my time to write out the information from the Powerpoint slides in my own words which was enough to score me in the high Bs/low As on exams. You should be able to find practice questions for almost every discipline. Have you used Zanki at all? My strategy now is that I do the corresponding Zanki decks and then supplement with lecture material immediately prior to an exam. I almost always utilize zanki as a way to make connections between cards instead of rote-memorizing facts, either by mentally recalling related cards/concepts or filling in the extras portion on the card.

We are learning medicine - regardless of which primary resource you use, the subject matter is the same. Your lectures may test more minutiae but they usually don't go outside their powerpoints either in my experience. I don't think Anki is necessary for success but if you use it correctly it will make your life much easier

Someone else tried doing this in my class and was struggling in the course.

I used to use Anki for all my studying. I quit as it was too much to make all my notecards. Others sent me their notes so I used that time to study instead. I realize I won't be able to keep up with everyone due to my test anxiety, processing speed impairments, and etc. I'm a slower learner and cannot route memorize all this info. I was able to do well in undergrad but I studied all the time. I haven't gotten a firm study schedule. I cannot read over notes and without Anki I did not have a solid study schedule. I'm trying to learn too much info and struggle to condense the material. I also had trouble finding practice questions that corresponded to my lectures. I've really had a hard time when outside resources don't align well. My school doesn't focus a tremendous amount on boards for their curriculum. Lectures don't make sense to me especially neuro. Thus, I went to tutoring. I felt like I needed more time though with them. It takes too much time searching for video that correspond with lectures so I tried to limit myself to boards and beyond. After my concussion 2-3 weeks ago I haven't been the same. My main problem is information acquisition and neuro hit me really hard.

You need to figure out how to pass your school first and worry about outside resources later. I hear a lot of excuses, and even tho some are valid, you have been having problems before the concussion and are following general advice (Anki , firecracker, sketchy, boards n beyond) that isn’t getting you that 7-0 that leads to DO.

Also sounds like you haven’t figured out how to study effectively yet. I suggest looking up study skills on YouTube and trying to figure out how to pick up on the info you need. I used to recommend a guy from Long Beach community college on YouTube. As he helped me get a turn around when I was struggling. You have to better than you were in undergrad if you want to cont. Most students selected by DO schools are capable of passing, so I believe you can do it. Good luck.

Edit: having had a concussion in the past that was pretty bad (some memory loss) I will say that you might need a year off at this point if you are really struggling. I know my grades dropped big time when I had mine (prior to med school).

Reactions: 2 users
I was just like you. Passive listening wasn't my thing. I couldn't study alone. Lectures made no sense.

What made it make sense is when I printed out the powerpoint slides to every single lecture. Every single one. I sat in the front row and annotated every slide during lecture. I wrote out what the professor emphasized verbally (usually in the corners of the slide). Every single slide had notes on it from what the professor said VERBALLY. Every night, I spent only an hour to go through these PPT packets. I read my annotations. If there were pictures, I looked to make sure I understood the picture. I literally spent only an hour or so doing this because I was paying attention in class and annotating appropriately.

Over the weekend, I'd review all the PPTs again and if something was annotated in too technical a way, I'd re-write the annotation in my own words. In some cases, I needed to re-watch a lecture to annotate if I didn't understand something or if I had forgotten how I initially understood it during class.

Exam weeks, I reviewed all the PPTs again and read my annotations/slides. By then, the material was pretty solid in my mind and it was a quick pass unless I still didn't get something. During the exam, I can't tell you how many times it saved me to be able to remember a specific slide and remember what I had written on the side. Many times, I was able to see it in my mind.

This method took me literally from F's to A's and B's.

Reactions: 10 users
I was just like you. Passive listening wasn't my thing. I couldn't study alone. Lectures made no sense.

What made it make sense is when I printed out the powerpoint slides to every single lecture. Every single one. I sat in the front row and annotated every slide during lecture. I wrote out what the professor emphasized verbally (usually in the corners of the slide). Every single slide had notes on it from what the professor said VERBALLY. Every night, I spent only an hour to go through these PPT packets. I read my annotations. If there were pictures, I looked to make sure I understood the picture. I literally spent only an hour or so doing this because I was paying attention in class and annotating appropriately.

Over the weekend, I'd review all the PPTs again and if something was annotated in too technical a way, I'd re-write the annotation in my own words. In some cases, I needed to re-watch a lecture to annotate if I didn't understand something or if I had forgotten how I initially understood it during class.

Exam weeks, I reviewed all the PPTs again and read my annotations/slides. By then, the material was pretty solid in my mind and it was a quick pass unless I still didn't get something. During the exam, I can't tell you how many times it saved me to be able to remember a specific slide and remember what I had written on the side. Many times, I was able to see it in my mind.

This method took me literally from F's to A's and B's.
did you mean study in groups by chance? Thanks again. This is worth a try.

I often can't remember what professors say in class.

I don’t want to sound like an ass but how badly do you want this?

I know plenty of people that failed MS1 and 2 and graduated but it took them 6-8 years with constant breaks and meetings with admin.

Honestly, cut your losses now. As someone who made it to the other side, I can tell you It really doesn’t get better.

did you mean study in groups by chance? Thanks again. This is worth a try.

I often can't remember what professors say in class.

I was getting F's when I studied in groups. Group study only works if everyone is on the same page with some deficits here and there. But for me, I had to do it myself because the material made no sense and I couldn't remember anything the professors said.

You need to print out the PPTs and annotate every single slide with what they say (not what the slide says). The professors will explain it during their lectures and you won't get it from just looking at the slide in many cases.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How many hours a week were you studying? How many Anki cards were you doing ?
How much time were you spending with the school notes / coursepack.

If you can't keep up with school you should never be doing board related stuff, rather should be focused on doing what it takes to pass the class.

Why was making cards too much work ?
How many cards were you making ?

If you can't keep up with school you should never be doing board related stuff, rather should be focused on doing what it takes to pass the class.

If you don't understand the material, you're going to make cards for every single thing, even things you'd be able to figure out if you understood the material.

I was getting F's when I studied in groups. Group study only works if everyone is on the same page with some deficits here and there. But for me, I had to do it myself because the material made no sense and I couldn't remember anything the professors said.

You need to print out the PPTs and annotate every single slide with what they say (not what the slide says). The professors will explain it during their lectures and you won't get it from just looking at the slide in many cases.

I couldnt feasibly do this given the sheer number of pages that i’d be printing. I did do this on my ipad with the apple pencil, though. My grades were better when i went to lecture. I quit going second year and wasnt remotely diligent, and my grades/step 1 showed that.

• Wow
If you don't understand the material, you're going to make cards for every single thing, even things you'd be able to figure out if you understood the material.
That wasn't really my question.

Imo, med school content is not super conceptual , rather just boat loads of memorization of small factoids. And if you remember enough little factoids eventually the concepts start falling together.

Reactions: 4 users
Agree with @Goro. My son was a very good linebacker on high school. 2 concussions kept him out for most of the season. Healing takes a long time and we now have testing to monitor progress and when to return to play and resume school, IMPACT Test, etc. At the time, mental concentrating with increased blood flow and energy utilization appeared to delay healing. I think returning to play,( and school), too soon dramatically affected his freshman grades in college. He's now a 2nd year resident and scores above the national average on his yearly residency in service exams.
Make sure you have your head injury evaluated also. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 5 users
MTBIs are no joke. It took me almost a year of diligent work on my diet, stress, sleep, exercise routines to get back to a decent place with my brain and another two years to get back to basically 100% other than some visual issues and yet I still have symptoms come back if I start slipping on the diet, stress, sleep, exercise routines.

I would seriously consider taking an LOA to get all the basics on track. If not that, work on those basics and get more help from the school to figure out how to make it through.

I have a lot of experience with moderate traumatic brain injury recovery through diet if you ever need advice please PM me. It is a lonely, scary, long road of ups and downs and I'm here for anyone that needs it.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users

Active learning >>>>>>>>>>>passive learning, as my wise colleague can attest.

You’ve been having problems a lot longer than you’ve had a concussion. You might benefit from a psych eval bc you might have ADD anxiety, depression, etc that’s affecting you performance.

*this is not medical advice as this is not allowed on sdn nor would it be appropriate for me to provide it*

Sounds to me like surviving should be your priority. IMO before you even begin to worry about boards you gotta wrap your mind around what it takes to get there. Boards and Beyond is great, but fact is, Dr. Ryan only teaches high yield concepts for boards and I can promise you that if I used him exclusively throughout my first year, even if I was somehow able to remember ALL his wonderful junk, I probably would’ve failed.

My school’s Neuro was insane...we had a PhD in neurology as a classmate that limped out of that block shell-shocked. The unfortunate truth is that you need to learn to your professors even if that means knowing worthless garbage.

You said you don’t often remember what your professors say. I think that’s one of your biggest issues. Each one has quirks and preferences, you GOTTA learn them. Find the people that intuitively hear the emphasis during lecture. They are out there. Be. Their. Friend. You may even have to change your strategy per block or even by professor! It’s not gonna serve you well in preparation for Level/Step but you don’t have the luxury to complain right now, you gotta get there first!

That said, I think this is something you should think about during a LOA. I had a couple of classmates that got into wrecks during first year, both took LOAs because they just couldn’t function at the level needed. You are crippled right now and need rest. You will prove nothing by continuing and failing other than that you have poor judgment when it counts.

• Wow
Sounds to me like surviving should be your priority. IMO before you even begin to worry about boards you gotta wrap your mind around what it takes to get there. Boards and Beyond is great, but fact is, Dr. Ryan only teaches high yield concepts for boards and I can promise you that if I used him exclusively throughout my first year, even if I was somehow able to remember ALL his wonderful junk, I probably would’ve failed.

My school’s Neuro was insane...we had a PhD in neurology as a classmate that limped out of that block shell-shocked. The unfortunate truth is that you need to learn to your professors even if that means knowing worthless garbage.

You said you don’t often remember what your professors say. I think that’s one of your biggest issues. Each one has quirks and preferences, you GOTTA learn them. Find the people that intuitively hear the emphasis during lecture. They are out there. Be. Their. Friend. You may even have to change your strategy per block or even by professor! It’s not gonna serve you well in preparation for Level/Step but you don’t have the luxury to complain right now, you gotta get there first!

That said, I think this is something you should think about during a LOA. I had a couple of classmates that got into wrecks during first year, both took LOAs because they just couldn’t function at the level needed. You are crippled right now and need rest. You will prove nothing by continuing and failing other than that you have poor judgment when it counts.
There was no way to get a LOA in the time given I was told.

That’s incredibly unfortunate. What is your current standing? Have you failed enough that you are at risk of going to administration to talk about repeating the year or are you just on the brink but passing?

That’s incredibly unfortunate. What is your current standing? Have you failed enough that you are at risk of going to administration to talk about repeating the year or are you just on the brink but passing?

I need to go before the administration from the sounds of it. Grades haven't been finalized. I was 2 points away. I'm very frustrated.

I need to go before the administration from the sounds of it. Grades haven't been finalized. I was 2 points away. I'm very frustrated.

Not much more can be said before we know what happens with that. The advice can change drastically if you’re given the option to repeat the year.

I"m content going into IM or FM. I came into medical school unprepared and really struggled to condense my notes and figuring out what is important.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your predicament.

It sounds like you are using way too many resources.

You shouldn't be doing Anki cards for class and boards and beyond and firecracker. It's just too much and if you go in half-assed to each you're going to have gaps because you only explored each resource superficially.

Is there a reason you did not try any of the Zanki decks? The physiology is good for M1.

Told by who? Student Services? Those are the people you should be talking to.

Also, get a trusted faculty member to couch for you.

And yes it should be past tense

I haven't found out how to effectively learn.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your predicament.

It sounds like you are using way too many resources.

You shouldn't be doing Anki cards for class and boards and beyond and firecracker. It's just too much and if you go in half-assed to each you're going to have gaps because you only explored each resource superficially.

Is there a reason you did not try any of the Zanki decks? The physiology is good for M1.
Ppl used neuro anki cards and did poorly. I found anki very hard to connect concepts. I stuck to the lecture slides in neuro. Thus I just wideboarded the notes I had because I didn't want to get too behind making cards.

I honestly watched whatever correlated for BnB used Firecracker for the Pathoma and Sketchy when it correlated.

I'm working with a learning expert and I could study harder then everyone in undergrad. I need to reevaluate my study techniques because I learn differently.

I was studying like 84-90 hours a week I'd say

I would say 3/4 of the time ppt slides. I used outside resources when things didn't make sense. I often used Firecracker as first pass.
I could be studying and not making cards and couldn't connective the cards together. THe amount of cards depended on lecture like 30 to 100 cards.

I was studying like 84-90 hours a week I'd say

I would say 3/4 of the time ppt slides. I used outside resources when things didn't make sense. I often used Firecracker as first pass.
I could be studying and not making cards and couldn't connective the cards together. THe amount of cards depended on lecture like 30 to 100 cards.
84-90 hours a week..... you are doing something very wrong.

Reactions: 7 users
You're doing it wrong.
84-90 hours a week..... you are doing something very wrong.

This right here. Your biggest problem is probably because you haven't figured out an efficient way to study. The biggest challenge in medical school is not the volume, but the time you have to soak all the info in. that's what you should focus on. What ways do you think you remember things better? Flow charts? drawings? Making condensed outlines? These can all work, but you need to figure out what works best for you.

84-90 hours a week was how much I studied for the first 2 weeks when I didn't know what I was doing. But then I realized I learned better and faster by drawing flow charts, doing very (as in very, just important details/major ideas) condensed outlines and only really making cards for minute details that I otherwise wouldn't remember. That cut my time down to 30-40 hours a week at most.

protip: use brainscape. Search for your lecture title. I bet some upperclassman at your school made a deck with that exact material you're covering. If it isn't public, ask their permission to use them (med students are generally very helpful in sharing resources). Now you have a pre-made set of cards and you don't waste so much time making hundreds/lecture, as it sounds like. All you have to do now is edit them accordingly, depending on what changed etc. etc.

Last edited:
This right here. Your biggest problem is probably because you haven't figured out an efficient way to study. The biggest challenge in medical school is not the volume, but the time you have to soak all the info in. that's what you should focus on. What ways do you think you remember things better? Flow charts? drawings? Making condensed outlines? These can all work, but you need to figure out what works best for you.

84-90 hours a week was how much I studied for the first 2 weeks when I didn't know what I was doing. But then I realized I learned better and faster by drawing flow charts, doing very (as in very, just important details/major ideas) condensed outlines and only really making cards for minute details that I otherwise wouldn't remember. That cut my time down to 30-40 hours a week at most.
i was realistically studying 30-40 hours a week at the best of times. Most of my classmates that claimed to be studying 80 hours a week were really spending 80 hours in the seat but realistically only studying 15-20 hours because they would be reading something and then re-read it or just mess around.

Reactions: 5 users

protip: use brainscape. Search for your lecture title. I bet some upperclassman at your school made a deck with that exact material you're covering. If it isn't public, ask their permission to use them (med students are generally very helpful in sharing resources). Now you have a pre-made set of cards and you don't waste so much time making hundreds/lecture, as it sounds like. All you have to do now is edit them accordingly, depending on what changed etc. etc.
Thanks! I find flashcards hard to connect concepts. I used them too much.

My biggest problem is not seeing the big picture first and getting caught up in details.

My biggest problem is not seeing the big picture first and getting caught up in details.
IMO, Medical school does not require big picture to pass. Just a fast paced memorization of minutae and then subsequent regurgitation. Buzz word identification has long been a strategy for passing tests and people continue to use it. Big picture alone will barely get you a pass on multiple choice exams in medical school . Mindless rote memorization at some point becomes sublimation into big picture.

I would constantly make 200-500 image occlusion cards in 3 days and spend the next 2-3 weeks grinding them in m1. probably realistically 4ish hours a day. My exams were notorious for asking some stupid meaningless detail in the power points that contributed very little to understanding and required very little understanding .

i was realistically studying 30-40 hours a week at the best of times. Most of my classmates that claimed to be studying 80 hours a week were really spending 80 hours in the seat but realistically only studying 15-20 hours because they would be reading something and then re-read it or just mess around.
I found when a I used the pomodoro method with 25 on and 5 min breaks that my average ‘actual’ study time was close to 6,7 hours a day till dedicated. I never did more than 12-13 hours of actual active study during a day even during dedicated.

I agree that 80 hours of seat-time is usually not 80 hours of studying actively.

I found when a I used the pomodoro method with 25 on and 5 min breaks that my average ‘actual’ study time was close to 6,7 hours a day till dedicated. I never did more than 12-13 hours of actual active study during a day even during dedicated.

I agree that 80 hours of seat-time is usually not 80 hours of studying actively.
i was using pomodoro too, but i would slack off in between. During dedicated i probably did 6 -8 hours a day. Before that more like 4ish.

Pretty much what everyone’s saying. There may be people who see the big picture, but overall it’s pretty worthless until second year. First year especially, all that matters is whatever your professor bolds, writes in colored font, or emphasizes during lecture.

It’s the sad truth, but you gotta get rid of that fuzzy and hopeful “I want to learn everything!” feeling. Kill it. With fire. Then bury it deep, deep, inside you. It will not help you in med school. It is only a source of unneeded stress and inefficiency.

i was using pomodoro too, but i would slack off in between. During dedicated i probably did 6 -8 hours a day. Before that more like 4ish.

What do you recommend doing for the Pathology courses that basically require you to memorize specifics from Big Robbins that aren't found anywhere other than the textbook. Like low yield pathologies. Even these aren't found in Anki or any flashcard deck.

What do you recommend doing for the Pathology courses that basically require you to memorize specifics from Big Robbins that aren't found anywhere other than the textbook. Like low yield pathologies. Even these aren't found in Anki or any flashcard deck.
Process of elimination. Some questions are probably not worth it. But if you want, make more Anki?

Take a loss on those questions and get all the ones that are in Anki right. Just skim the powerpoints the day before the exam what whatever sticks will stick. Realistically, you shouldn't have that many questions that are far-fetched.

Take a loss on those questions and get all the ones that are in Anki right. Just skim the powerpoints the day before the exam what whatever sticks will stick. Realistically, you shouldn't have that many questions that are far-fetched.

My professor is notorious for doing this also, especially with asking low yield questions where we have to know the random disorder, the clinical presentations, and then they'll ask what the gene is or the function of the gene. It would make sense if it was a common disorder that repeatedly shows up on board exams. I just wish someone had made an Anki deck of Robbins because mostly schools throughout the country use it.

My professor is notorious for doing this also, especially with asking low yield questions where we have to know the random disorder, the clinical presentations, and then they'll ask what the gene is or the function of the gene. It would make sense if it was a common disorder that repeatedly shows up on board exams. I just wish someone had made an Anki deck of Robbins because mostly schools throughout the country use it.
Our classes are entirely taught out of Robbins and I haven't had an issue using Zanki. Zanki should be enough to get you to pass your exam, then skim powerpoints and/or Robbins for the nitpicky details. Now that we're getting closer to boards I've almost entirely abandoned looking at Robbins/class material outside of 1 pass of the powerpoints watching the lecture and a quick skim the night before. It's been okay so far.

Our classes are entirely taught out of Robbins and I haven't had an issue using Zanki. Zanki should be enough to get you to pass your exam, then skim powerpoints and/or Robbins for the nitpicky details. Now that we're getting closer to boards I've almost entirely abandoned looking at Robbins/class material outside of 1 pass of the powerpoints watching the lecture and a quick skim the night before. It's been okay so far.

Do you recommend doing the Robbin's questions?