Air Force Failed red green color blind test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umfc7181

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I have seen a few old threads but wanted to get some updated information. I failed the color test at Meps and am applying for the Air Force HPSP. Now I know docs can get waivers for a lot of things, but seeing as being a flight surgeon is a major possible Gmo role as an Air Force physician I wanted to know the restrictions or any experiences from others currently serving as flight surgeons. Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Air force flight surgeons will be granted a waiver for flight surgeon position if "mild color vision defects as defined by the ACS will be granted an unrestricted FC II waiver. Those with severe defects may be considered for FC IIA waiver on a case by case basis."

The physical at MEPs is only trying to decide if you can commission into the military. That's it. They are performed by a civillian provider that has a contract with the an agency that has the contract for all MEPs stations. They read the regulations and try to follow them. Some of prior military experience, most don't. Some follow the regulations to the letter and some don't. Later in your first year of AD if you choose to pursue flight then you'll have to complete a flight physical and pass those standards which predominately are higher than those for comissioning. If you don't meet a standard then a waiver is required. It doesn't matter if you were given a waiver to join. Then each year you will have to continue to maintain that flight physical and pass the flight standards.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the reply. I figured of course that there will be many future physicals to be cleared for duty but I suppose my question is if there is an appreciable deficit are you completly restricted from flight time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Air force flight surgeons will be granted a waiver for flight surgeon position if "mild color vision defects as defined by the ACS will be granted an unrestricted FC II waiver. Those with severe defects may be considered for FC IIA waiver on a case by case basis."

The physical at MEPs is only trying to decide if you can commission into the military. That's it. They are performed by a civillian provider that has a contract with the an agency that has the contract for all MEPs stations. They read the regulations and try to follow them. Some of prior military experience, most don't. Some follow the regulations to the letter and some don't. Later in your first year of AD if you choose to pursue flight then you'll have to complete a flight physical and pass those standards which predominately are higher than those for comissioning. If you don't meet a standard then a waiver is required. It doesn't matter if you were given a waiver to join. Then each year you will have to continue to maintain that flight physical and pass the flight standards.

So I read the waivers document and my question is if you have severe deficits what are the limitations of a FC IIa status? Basically do you know any flight surgeons who have a seve deficit and what are their limitations, is there any point in thinking about pursuing FS. (Granted I get you said it's case by case sometimes.

An AF FS buddy of mine has severe color vision deficiency and got an unrestricted waiver. No limitations to his work or flying life. The only limitation it has presented to his career is that it prevented his applying for the Pilot-Physician program. So there is an example of it working out.

An AF FS buddy of mine has severe color vision deficiency and got an unrestricted waiver. No limitations to his work or flying life. The only limitation it has presented to his career is that it prevented his applying for the Pilot-Physician program. So there is an example of it working out.
Great thanks for the example!

Saw this a couple days ago but couldn't comment as I was on base. FCIIa is a high performance restriction, i.e. no fighters, but in the grand scheme of things there is no back seats on the 22 or 35 so those days are numbered. I believe MEPS just has Ishihara plates, or it did when I went through, where as flight physicals require CCT, cone contrast testing.

Ive seen this go a few ways, cause the CCT can tell which type of color blindness you have and how severe, but not much of an issue for flight docs. This includes an unrestricted waiver (most of time), theoretically a disqualification, and type waiver where you have to be evaluated for each airframe or display upgrade.

If you get HPSP, you might be able to see if one of the docs at your nearest base would be willing to do an IFCII for you.

Saw this a couple days ago but couldn't comment as I was on base. FCIIa is a high performance restriction, i.e. no fighters, but in the grand scheme of things there is no back seats on the 22 or 35 so those days are numbered. I believe MEPS just has Ishihara plates, or it did when I went through, where as flight physicals require CCT, cone contrast testing.

Ive seen this go a few ways, cause the CCT can tell which type of color blindness you have and how severe, but not much of an issue for flight docs. This includes an unrestricted waiver (most of time), theoretically a disqualification, and type waiver where you have to be evaluated for each airframe or display upgrade.

If you get HPSP, you might be able to see if one of the docs at your nearest base would be willing to do an IFCII for you.
Thanks so much for the info. I am going to reach out to a flight surgeon near me ( In the philly area) to find out more.

Are you actually color blind or did you possibly fail for another reason? When I did the depth perception test I rushed through it and the examiner told me I got every single one of them wrong. He told me to slow down and try again and I got 100%. Worth considering, most the proctors on my tests were quite mediocre.

Are you actually color blind or did you possibly fail for another reason? When I did the depth perception test I rushed through it and the examiner told me I got every single one of them wrong. He told me to slow down and try again and I got 100%. Worth considering, most the proctors on my tests were quite mediocre.
So funny thing I went to aBranch clinic when I was applying for Navy HPSP and I passed although I think I missed one or two plates so that's what surprised me. Did a couple of the online tests and seems like I also miss a few so I'm assuming I'm deficient in one of the spectrums or whatever it is.

Anyway an update for anyone else who could chime in or I could PM. My recruiter contacted a local FS and essentially provided me with "if you cannot get a Class II you cannot become a flight surgeon but there are many other opportunities in AF medicine.." I understand the FS probably just read the question as you either pass or fail your physical, but I was hoping for a mention of a waiver possibility. Can anyone else provide some insight? Im still waiting to hear back from a local FS to see if he can give me his experience and some info.

Is your concern that you wont get accepted to AF HPSP at all? or that if accepted you will not be able to be a flight surgeon? Either way, if they provide you with waiver and ultimately accept you for HPSP it would seem that being ineligible for FS duty could be major blessing.

Anyway an update for anyone else who could chime in or I could PM. My recruiter contacted a local FS and essentially provided me with "if you cannot get a Class II you cannot become a flight surgeon but there are many other opportunities in AF medicine.." I understand the FS probably just read the question as you either pass or fail your physical, but I was hoping for a mention of a waiver possibility. Can anyone else provide some insight? Im still waiting to hear back from a local FS to see if he can give me his experience and some info.

"*Flight Surgeon candidates with color vision defects will be granted a restricted FC IIC waiver..." In fact, you may be able to get an unrestricted FC II waiver with ACS review and approval. The waiver guide then continues on to stipulate conditions for renewing the waiver/maintaining flight status. The FS your recruiter spoke with was right that there are other opportunities in AF medicine, BUT...

... it would seem that being ineligible for FS duty could be major blessing.

Just because you are ineligible for a FS tour doesn't mean you wouldn't get stuck somewhere as a GMO seeing patients all day errday (not that there is anything wrong with that...) It has been my experience (and that of each guy I was a prelim intern with last year) that a FS billet has been more enjoyable than being a GMO in the Family Med clinic would be.

"*Flight Surgeon candidates with color vision defects will be granted a restricted FC IIC waiver..." In fact, you may be able to get an unrestricted FC II waiver with ACS review and approval. The waiver guide then continues on to stipulate conditions for renewing the waiver/maintaining flight status. The FS your recruiter spoke with was right that there are other opportunities in AF medicine, BUT...

Just because you are ineligible for a FS tour doesn't mean you wouldn't get stuck somewhere as a GMO seeing patients all day errday (not that there is anything wrong with that...) It has been my experience (and that of each guy I was a prelim intern with last year) that a FS billet has been more enjoyable than being a GMO in the Family Med clinic would be.
Thanks for the insight. That's what I am concerned about is if I was to do a GMO I would want to be a FS not just in a clinic. Again I have very little knowledge and zero experience with this but as you said it seems most people who had a more enjoyable Gmo experience were FS