Failed Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inthepaint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a third year USMD and failed Step 1. Passed all NBMEs and UW self assessments, but failed by a couple of points. Not sure how it happened honestly.

I know that residency matching is becoming increasingly competitive. What specialties can I realistically match. Is anesthesia/EM/radiology/surgery still in reach? Not sure if I should even continue with medical school since my career is down the tubes.

Thanks for any insight you have. Kind of reeling right now

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am a third year USMD and failed Step 1. Passed all NBMEs and UW self assessments, but failed by a couple of points. Not sure how it happened honestly.

I know that residency matching is becoming increasingly competitive. What specialties can I realistically match. Is anesthesia/EM/radiology/surgery still in reach? Not sure if I should even continue with medical school since my career is down the tubes.

I am very sorry you're going through this... I can only imagine how you are feeling right now. Can you tell us what your NBME and UW self assessments were prior to taking step 1?

Hi all,

Matching into a speciality is certainly still possible. I am assuming you just started your clinical year. Keep an open mind, but prioritize non-competitive specialities like IM, FM and peds. Among those you listed, EM is more realistic in the current climate and I know at least one person w/ step failure who matched EM this cycle.

Don't give up hope and your career is certainly not down the tubes. Remember, Step exams are only a part of the overall application. Prioritize other parts of your application as well (clinical narratives, obtaining strong LoRs, convincing personal statement, applying broadly). Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry you're going through this. Your career is not "down the tubes," but it does require a recalibration of what you envision being a doctor will entail. Even if you are not doing exactly what you had hoped, a medical degree is highly flexible and opens the door to a well-paying and relatively secure job, depending on the field you go into.

EM is within reach, but there is also a reason the competitiveness has tumbled recently--just look all over the forums to understand why this is one field where your job is NOT secure. Doesn't mean you won't be able to get a job, but you might not be able to live where you want or be compensated as well in terms of money and time off as you might have hoped. On the other end of the spectrum, anesthesia, radiology or surgery are all reaches--if you look at the interactive charting outcomes, ( Interactive Charting Outcomes in the Match ) all 3 specialties had a match rate <50% in 2020 for applicants who scored under a 200 (and this is applicants who passed). Short of a very close relationship with your home program where they essentially promise you a spot, I don't think you can apply to any of these specialties without at least dual-applying to one of the less competitive specialties like FM, IM or peds.

Reactions: 1 user