Failed Step1. Any other retakers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPathodifficle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out I failed Step1 on July 13th by a few points. Got taken out of my rotations by my medical school. I am required to take time off to study. I am retaking the test in October. Just wondering who else there is out there in my boat. Support is welcome! I can't believe this is happening to me.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be alright. I haven't gotten my score back yet, but that's one of my fears. Then again, I was always afraid I would not get in after a poor first MCAT. I retook it and got in the next year I applied. Just take it again. At least you were really close, so you're not far off. Tell us how it goes next time, especially if you rock it. Good luck!

I had a friend who failed by a few points and got taken out of rotations to retake it. She retook it, and sad to say she didn't blow it out of the water the second time but she passed! She took the rest of the year off and did research, and matched in a Peds-IM program and is doing very well in her residency. Let us know how it goes for you, this time around you can rock it!!

i failed 187/74-alot of my friends received a few points higher than me and passed but i dont want that score. very shocked but am gearing up to take test again in october as well. didn't do world just kaplan. if you need to talk you can dm me. we can do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Was looking for some bolster when i stumbled upon this post. I failed step 1 on July 13th too, 183/72 much to my dismay. Am not deciding yet on step 1 but instead doing GRE. Dunno if this helps, but, I dunnot want to have a look at USMLE for a month or so.
Also, I am an IMG I had been trying to get into research posts till i step 1 but, they seem difficult to get.
Any offense (if taken) is unintended here.

We can do it, but, in a better way- in my thinking.
Hope these words help me back. Appreciate the effort.

Last edited:
Hi. Was looking for some bolster when i stumbled upon this post. I failed step 1 on July 13th too, 183/72 much to my dismay. Am not deciding yet on step 1 but instead doing GRE. Dunno if this helps, but, I dunnot want to have a look at USMLE for a month or so.
Also, I am an IMG I had been trying to get into research posts till i step 1 but, they seem difficult to get.
Any offense (if taken) is unintended here.

We can do it, but, in a better way- in my thinking.
Hope these words help me back. Appreciate the effort.

I don't understand - you're an IMG who's licensed in another country, why would you need to take the GRE? Are you going for a master's degree in sciences? Just wait and retake the Step 1 to see if you can apply here.

Thanks for the reply Arc. Appreciate it.
I am married here. So i didn't think much. Thought i'll just take it, and started preparing for it, getting a break from MLE.
As for applying, where are we allowed to apply post-step 1? Research posts?

damn, i don't want to name medical school but i am student at top 5 medical schools, just checked my email from school and i am being pulled out from rotation. Failed step1 and so depressed now. I had good feeling coming out from exam but damn.

damn, i don't want to name medical school but i am student at top 5 medical schools, just checked my email from school and i am being pulled out from rotation. Failed step1 and so depressed now. I had good feeling coming out from exam but damn.

I felt the same way. I feel ya. Just the thought of having to study really hard again made me want to puke and curl up into a ball. I took a week off before studying again. Actually had a mini-vacation after crying a bunch and feeling super ****ty. I did bunch of fun things (obviously with non-medschool people because I'm too embarressed to tell anyone) to get my spirits up enough to make a study plan of attack. 1 week of studying down! Btw, I was required to talk to the counselor this week and I found I was one of around 5 people to fail. I didn't think I was this dumb! I failed by a few points. I am still slightly in shock, but I am trying to see the good in this. A second chance. Now I am doing a lot of prep stuff that I never had time for in the few weeks my school gave me to study the first time. I am really hoping I don't just pass this exam when I take it in October, but kick ass. We can do it!

I felt the same way. I feel ya. Just the thought of having to study really hard again made me want to puke and curl up into a ball. I took a week off before studying again. Actually had a mini-vacation after crying a bunch and feeling super ****ty. I did bunch of fun things (obviously with non-medschool people because I'm too embarressed to tell anyone) to get my spirits up enough to make a study plan of attack. 1 week of studying down! Btw, I was required to talk to the counselor this week and I found I was one of around 5 people to fail. I didn't think I was this dumb! I failed by a few points. I am still slightly in shock, but I am trying to see the good in this. A second chance. Now I am doing a lot of prep stuff that I never had time for in the few weeks my school gave me to study the first time. I am really hoping I don't just pass this exam when I take it in October, but kick ass. We can do it!

That's the way. Kick the test's ass this time around.

Hey now, you're not dumb. Don't let this test define you as a person or as a doctor.

You're more than just somebody who can answer a set of pre-determined questions in allotted time. You're more than somebody who can memorize First Aid and pick the right answers on the test day. You're more than somebody who knows the pathophys and microscopic features of rare genetic disorders. You're more than a set of 3-digit score.

The good that will come out of this is that you will realize how much failure teaches us, and how much we exponentially grow as human beings when we are at the lowest and everything seems hopeless. Life will kick you in your arse later down the road when you will be out there helping people. When that happens, you will be able to look back on your current predicament and realize that you can make it through that too.

There's something bigger, more powerful at work here. An 8 hour test is a microscopic scratch on the bigger picture that is your life.

Good luck, and I'll keep all of you guys in my prayers!

Hey now, you're not dumb. Don't let this test define you as a person or as a doctor.

You're more than just somebody who can answer a set of pre-determined questions in allotted time. You're more than somebody who can memorize First Aid and pick the right answers on the test day. You're more than somebody who knows the pathophys and microscopic features of rare genetic disorders. You're more than a set of 3-digit score.

The good that will come out of this is that you will realize how much failure teaches us, and how much we exponentially grow as human beings when we are at the lowest and everything seems hopeless. Life will kick you in your arse later down the road when you will be out there helping people. When that happens, you will be able to look back on your current predicament and realize that you can make it through that too.

There's something bigger, more powerful at work here. An 8 hour test is a microscopic scratch on the bigger picture that is your life.

Good luck, and I'll keep all of you guys in my prayers!

That's what i am talking about :thumbup:

Same here. I am going home for step prep. Two students (2nd is me :oops:) failed step1. Are you taking any prep course or will be studying on your own? I was thinking of taking kaplan, but again i was only 3 points away from passing :confused:

Same here. I am going home for step prep. Two students (2nd is me :oops:) failed step1. Are you taking any prep course or will be studying on your own? I was thinking of taking kaplan, but again i was only 3 points away from passing :confused:

I failed by a few points too. I actually didn't do any prep courses prior to failing. I only had 3-4 weeks to study. I felt like there was no time! All I did was try to memorize FA and did UWorld (didn't finish and don't think I studied all the questions thoroughly.) I also am someone who struggled my first two years and school anxiety issues. I decided I need proper instruction and some structured plan to get me through now that I have the time. I am currently doing the Kaplan 2010 lecture series and its EXCELLENT. So far I've done the Anatomy (minus neuro stuff) and currently doing Behavioral Science. Only been studying for 1 week and I feel like all these things are clicking in my head now. I am also trying to do all the related Kaplan Qbank questions after finishing each section. I really like the Kaplan Qbank explanations better than UWorld. Going to redo UWorld and maybe do DIT next month. Hopefully all this extra proper prep will get me a score I can be proud of. If you havent one a prep course, maybe you should try that!

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed by a few points too. I actually didn't do any prep courses prior to failing. I only had 3-4 weeks to study. I felt like there was no time! All I did was try to memorize FA and did UWorld (didn't finish and don't think I studied all the questions thoroughly.) I also am someone who struggled my first two years and school anxiety issues. I decided I need proper instruction and some structured plan to get me through now that I have the time. I am currently doing the Kaplan 2010 lecture series and its EXCELLENT. So far I've done the Anatomy (minus neuro stuff) and currently doing Behavioral Science. Only been studying for 1 week and I feel like all these things are clicking in my head now. I am also trying to do all the related Kaplan Qbank questions after finishing each section. I really like the Kaplan Qbank explanations better than UWorld. Going to redo UWorld and maybe do DIT next month. Hopefully all this extra proper prep will get me a score I can be proud of. If you havent one a prep course, maybe you should try that!

Yea that is exactly what i am going to do!!! Study Kaplan inside out and i am going to use RR patho instead kaplan patho.

Aw, sorry to hear this :( One of my classmates and friends ended up passing, but only barely, and I know this is crazy to say, but I don't think it's a bad thing that you failed it. Yeah, you failed, but now you have the chance to study again, learn from your mistakes, and retake it and really kick butt. :) If you had passed, you would be stuck with that score, which probably doesn't represent how prepared you really were. You can ALWAYS make an excuse about why you were having a bad day the first time you took it if you can just kill it the 2nd time around. Hang in there! I know it is a blow, but I really think that if you're not going to do well the first time you take it, you're probably better off having failed so that at least you're getting another chance to prove yourself.

Yes, right, but i am not getting any craving to do it some time because i failed it. I don't want to fail again. I wanted to join some clinical post to be able to see some worthwhile stuff really much. And it doesn't seem i can work anyway before i get my visa changed!
And that is what i know!

Aw, sorry to hear this :( One of my classmates and friends ended up passing, but only barely, and I know this is crazy to say, but I don't think it's a bad thing that you failed it. Yeah, you failed, but now you have the chance to study again, learn from your mistakes, and retake it and really kick butt. :) If you had passed, you would be stuck with that score, which probably doesn't represent how prepared you really were. You can ALWAYS make an excuse about why you were having a bad day the first time you took it if you can just kill it the 2nd time around. Hang in there! I know it is a blow, but I really think that if you're not going to do well the first time you take it, you're probably better off having failed so that at least you're getting another chance to prove yourself.

I used Kaplan path and it is not worthwhile-try pathoma if you are weak in path.

I'm currently working on behavioral too-it's my weak spot along with genetics.

Did anyone try a regrade?

I used Kaplan path and it is not worthwhile-try pathoma if you are weak in path.

Yea, I am actually thinking about trying Pathoma to replace Kaplan Path. I haven't tried Kaplan path but I havent heard good things. I am weak in path. I am also really weak in behavioral according to my score report which I was suprised at. But now that im almost done with the Kaplan Behavioral lectures, everything that was fuzzy before is so much more clearer. How fast are you going? I was tryign to do all the Behavioral videos in two days but I didnt finish. Today is my 3rd day and I will be done I think. I still have to do Kaplan Qbank questions so I get practice and reinforcement.

I've heard of an offline version of Uworld. does anyone have one?

Yea, I am actually thinking about trying Pathoma to replace Kaplan Path. I haven't tried Kaplan path but I havent heard good things. I am weak in path. I am also really weak in behavioral according to my score report which I was suprised at. But now that im almost done with the Kaplan Behavioral lectures, everything that was fuzzy before is so much more clearer. How fast are you going? I was tryign to do all the Behavioral videos in two days but I didnt finish. Today is my 3rd day and I will be done I think. I still have to do Kaplan Qbank questions so I get practice and reinforcement.

How about RR for path??

I am feeling down, can't concentrate on my studies :( . My parents telling me to take vacation and then study for step1. I can't be bothered with anything ryte now. Any suggestions??

PS: i am not depressed .

How about RR for path??

I actually did Gojlan and RR during my M2 year but it didn't help me. I felt like it was too dense. I think I need a video of someone teaching me everything with pictures because I think that's how I think I learn best. Pathoma is like that from what I've seen. And Ive heard really good things about it being simplified and drilling in key facts. And I need the drilling and repetition.

I am feeling down, can't concentrate on my studies :( . My parents telling me to take vacation and then study for step1. I can't be bothered with anything ryte now. Any suggestions??

PS: i am not depressed .

Take a vacation. I kind of did. I didn't actually fly anywhere. Just took a week off and did all this random local fun stuff just to get my spirits up enough to start fresh. It was nice because when I started studying I told myself that now that Ive relaxed and enjoyed myself, I need to kick butt now. I get waves of sadness sometimes when I am studying sometimes and facebook is the worse when everyone in my class is posting all these awesome statuses about their rotations.

For suggestions of some things I did and more: spa day for a massage, camping, mini-golf, bowling, six flags, go to the movies (horrible bosses is funny!), go out to eat, make an awesome recipe, read a book, waterpark, zoo, workout).

I just finished all the Kaplan Behavioral Sci videos and took two blocks of Kaplan Qbank Behav. Sci questions. Averaged about 61% (with some dumb mistakes I could have easily avoided). IS THAT DECENT?! iono. I think I need to review developmental milestones in kids better. Kept getting those questions wrong. And the pharm drugs. But maybe after the pharm videos those will be a breeze. I still haven't finished all the Kaplan Qbank Anatomy questions after I did the videos. I am trying to stick to my schedule but its becoming hard because I want to be thorough when going through answers on qbank. I am trying to write down on a separate paper important facts I missed or know I could easily forget. I start the physio videos tomorrow. Yikes. Really aiming to finish all these Kaplan videos by the end of August so I can do DIT in September.

Hey dr patho, thanks for making this thread.

I just found out that I failed by a couple points as well. I am very shaken up at the moment, but I know that I can't do anything about it now except study for the retake.

I think I will try Kaplan videos. I'm not sure what to do about path. I used Goljan for path, but it is very dense and long. I ended up sticking with FA+UW and I still didn't pass. I guess I needed to memorize more rather than just understand topics.

How long does it take to get through Pathoma? I am looking into that, but not sure what to do...

Hey dr patho, thanks for making this thread.

I just found out that I failed by a couple points as well. I am very shaken up at the moment, but I know that I can't do anything about it now except study for the retake.

I think I will try Kaplan videos. I'm not sure what to do about path. I used Goljan for path, but it is very dense and long. I ended up sticking with FA+UW and I still didn't pass. I guess I needed to memorize more rather than just understand topics.

How long does it take to get through Pathoma? I am looking into that, but not sure what to do...

I think the Kaplan videos are helping me alot. I just got my Pathoma book in the mail. I will be starting that as soon as I finish Kaplan Physiology. From other threads, it looks like Pathoma can be done in 1 week. When are you retaking the exam? I am retaking early October. I'm actually going to DIT next month since I hear it basically helps you get through First Aid in structured manner, which is exactly what I think I need.

I think the Kaplan videos are helping me alot. I just got my Pathoma book in the mail. I will be starting that as soon as I finish Kaplan Physiology. From other threads, it looks like Pathoma can be done in 1 week. When are you retaking the exam? I am retaking early October. I'm actually going to DIT next month since I hear it basically helps you get through First Aid in structured manner, which is exactly what I think I need.

Thanks. I don't know when I'm retaking yet. I just found out my failed score today. :( I probably need a few days to think about things before I get started again. From what I hear from upperclassmen, I think I will get 2 months to study for the retake.

Are you doing anything special for anatomy? I'm thinking about picking up USMLE roadmap anatomy, but maybe I can stick with Kaplan videos instead?

Thanks. I don't know when I'm retaking yet. I just found out my failed score today. :( I probably need a few days to think about things before I get started again. From what I hear from upperclassmen, I think I will get 2 months to study for the retake.

Are you doing anything special for anatomy? I'm thinking about picking up USMLE roadmap anatomy, but maybe I can stick with Kaplan videos instead?

I did the Kaplan vids for anatomy. I am going to see what my qbank score is for that topic in next month to determine how much extra learning I need in that area. And I am hoping DIT will further drill in important anatomy facts.

I did the Kaplan vids for anatomy. I am going to see what my qbank score is for that topic in next month to determine how much extra learning I need in that area. And I am hoping DIT will further drill in important anatomy facts.

Thanks. I think I will pick up Pathoma ($99 for a full path course doesn't seem too bad) and Kaplan vids. I think I will also try getting Kaplan Qbank to do along with the first month of studying, then use FA/UW for the second month.

I will check this thread often. It is nice to touch base and bond with you guys here. When I was studying for this test a month ago, I felt so depressed and stressed out. At least now I know that I have nothing to lose and everything to gain this time around.

Good luck to you. :)

glad to hear people are getting back to the grind of studying. it's hard, no doubt. i am on week 1 of a 12 week dit plan (for those who already failed). i am using uworld-i did exclusively kaplan when studying for 1st attempt. pathoma seems like a good choice for path-kaplan anatomy is good but its path sucks. kaplan videos like pharm micro immuno are also good. i would stay away from the qbank-it's not realistically similar in difficulty to board qs. the most important thing to realize is not to rush in retaking it-i know of someone in my boat who is retaking early october but i dont know-if you are not scoring well above passing with nbmes it's not smart in my opinion to retake. imagine if you'd have to redo it a 3rd time. i'm trying new things with doing dit and world and hoping that those alongside me working on my weakpoints (behavioral, neuro) will allow me to achieve. good luck to all!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to throw in a couple of words of advice. Remember, if you re-use a Qbank, your score will be inflated maybe by 10%. Be sure to save an NBME self-assessment exam or two to take once your self-testing scores have increased to a level where you feel confident. The NBME results will predict rather accurately how you will score on the exam.

You can do this. Just stick to a study schedule, focus on your weaker areas, remediate question errors and try to score as high as you can. Once you see your performance improve, your confidence should improve along with it!

If you want some detailed study tips for re-taking the exam, email [email protected]. These tips are free and you will not be put on an email list.

Best of luck to each of you!

Hi guys,
great thread...just wanted to join the group. I also have to retake step 1. Trying to find sustained motivation so maybe this forum will help. I keep having a sort of love-hate relationship with studying for this thing again. I'm good for a couple days then just like that I have zero will to do this again. I guess it's because this is just one of a series of personal obstacles along this journey and I suddenly feel like I've had enough and I just wonder why I keep torturing myself - but the trod continues...I'm in too deep, so there's no turning back just got to get through this. Gonna try to pop in here every once in a while to see how everyone is going.
When are you guys retaking? I'm due for early October as per my school but I just don't care to be rushed and like another poster stated I don't intend on re-taking it until my nbmes are consistently solid because I absolutely could not imagine taking this thing 3 times :eek:
What is the pathoma course? So far I plan on using DIT, UWorld and very little else - tryna simplify things this time around.

Hi inspirememd, welcome to the club... I guess.

Studying for this again definitely sucks, but I am learning so much more this time around. I previously used only FA + UW, but it wasn't enough for me. My foundation was weak, and I didn't understand a lot of stuff in FA. I also didn't have time before my first attempt to sit down and strengthen my foundational understanding of the systems with other review books. I am watching the Kaplan videos now and I am amazed at how much I am understanding this time. For me at least, it definitely helps having a lecturer explain concepts and details and help draw connections between material.

Good luck to all of us and kick @$$ this time around

Hi inspirememd, welcome to the club... I guess.

Studying for this again definitely sucks, but I am learning so much more this time around. I previously used only FA + UW, but it wasn't enough for me. My foundation was weak, and I didn't understand a lot of stuff in FA. I also didn't have time before my first attempt to sit down and strengthen my foundational understanding of the systems with other review books. I am watching the Kaplan videos now and I am amazed at how much I am understanding this time. For me at least, it definitely helps having a lecturer explain concepts and details and help draw connections between material.

Good luck to all of us and kick @$$ this time around

Yup, I feel EXACTLY like you do.

Just a quick update: finished the Pathoma program last night and I feel like I understand everything so much better, esp WHY things happen and look like they do. Now onto finishing Kaplan Microbio and Pharm videos. I decided not to do DIT for the next month, since I feel like I need to stop studying and start practicing. Instead, I am going to thoroughly go through all of UWorld.

Hey Dr Patho,

That's pretty much what I'm planning to do. I'm working through Kaplan micro/immuno right now... going to start Kaplan physio on Saturday, and then start Pathoma once I finish physio. I'm not planning to do DIT... just going to keep my sources at a minimum with Kaplan + Pathoma + FA + UWorld.

Also, I can't wait to start Pathoma. Their book is really nice, but I'm forcing myself to go through Kaplan physio first, so hopefully the path will make more sense once I get to it.

I'm loving these video lectures so far. It's so much easier to stay focused when you have visual/audio stimulation. Last time I studied for this thing, I just sat at a table with FA or a book, and zoned out so many times.

Hey Dr Patho,

That's pretty much what I'm planning to do. I'm working through Kaplan micro/immuno right now... going to start Kaplan physio on Saturday, and then start Pathoma once I finish physio. I'm not planning to do DIT... just going to keep my sources at a minimum with Kaplan + Pathoma + FA + UWorld.

Also, I can't wait to start Pathoma. Their book is really nice, but I'm forcing myself to go through Kaplan physio first, so hopefully the path will make more sense once I get to it.

I'm loving these video lectures so far. It's so much easier to stay focused when you have visual/audio stimulation. Last time I studied for this thing, I just sat at a table with FA or a book, and zoned out so many times.

Lol I feel like I used to zone out too. These videos definitely keep me more focused. You should do those Kaplan Physio videos first. That's what I did and I thought it was helpful to know what is normally going on in the body, what's going wrong, and THEN what it looks like. Btw, how are you on Pharm? I have not done the Pharm videos yet. I bought Kaplan Pharm cards by that Dr. Conrad Fischer guy. Trying to do 10 each night before bed. Today is Day 2 of flashcards for me.

And yea, I am trying to keep resources to a minimum or else I will feel overwhelmed. I just feel like if I sit down and do UWorld super thoroughtly (maybe one time thoroughly, and a second time faster), I will have mastered all the key things for the exam.

Btw, going to the psychiatrist tomorrow to hopefully get some anti-anxiety meds which will hopefully help me not freak the f out. Test is a month away and I am already unintentionally sleeping less because I am worried.

Lol I feel like I used to zone out too. These videos definitely keep me more focused. You should do those Kaplan Physio videos first. That's what I did and I thought it was helpful to know what is normally going on in the body, what's going wrong, and THEN what it looks like. Btw, how are you on Pharm? I have not done the Pharm videos yet. I bought Kaplan Pharm cards by that Dr. Conrad Fischer guy. Trying to do 10 each night before bed. Today is Day 2 of flashcards for me.

And yea, I am trying to keep resources to a minimum or else I will feel overwhelmed. I just feel like if I sit down and do UWorld super thoroughtly (maybe one time thoroughly, and a second time faster), I will have mastered all the key things for the exam.

Btw, going to the psychiatrist tomorrow to hopefully get some anti-anxiety meds which will hopefully help me not freak the f out. Test is a month away and I am already unintentionally sleeping less because I am worried.

Hey guys,

Just found out yesterday that I have to retake comlex level 1, so not step 1 like you guys but I'm in the same boat so decided to post =(
I pretty much did FA+DIT+UW and added in COMBANK and the OMM book towards the very end. Apparently the tests are very different in the style of questions they ask, and maybe the way I prepared was more geared towards USMLE style questions only. I don't know. I think I'm definitely going to do Kaplan this time around so that I can get the foundations down by watching the videos and doing the corresponding questions. I also didn't get to finish all of UW (just did half) so maybe thinking about doing those again, but they take up soooo much time to get through the explanations and such, so maybe I'll just stick to doing COMBANK so that it's more focused for my exam. Although I'm wondering that since I have to retake this thing anyway and am going to have to study for it all over again..do you guys think it's worth for me to give step 1 a shot? I hear it's the same material minus our omm stuff and the questions seem to be better worded. This probably sounds silly considering I failed comlex but I figure I have nothing to lose if I take the usmle at this point. Idk what do you guys think? Another thing is, I don't think our school pulls us out of rotations and gives us time off strictly to study for it. I have no idea how I'll manage studying for this thing along with rotations ughhhhh. This seriously is the worst feeling ever. Any advice/words of encouragement would be helpful. Thanks and good luck everyone!

Hey guys,

Just found out yesterday that I have to retake comlex level 1, so not step 1 like you guys but I'm in the same boat so decided to post =(
I pretty much did FA+DIT+UW and added in COMBANK and the OMM book towards the very end. Apparently the tests are very different in the style of questions they ask, and maybe the way I prepared was more geared towards USMLE style questions only. I don't know. I think I'm definitely going to do Kaplan this time around so that I can get the foundations down by watching the videos and doing the corresponding questions. I also didn't get to finish all of UW (just did half) so maybe thinking about doing those again, but they take up soooo much time to get through the explanations and such, so maybe I'll just stick to doing COMBANK so that it's more focused for my exam. Although I'm wondering that since I have to retake this thing anyway and am going to have to study for it all over again..do you guys think it's worth for me to give step 1 a shot? I hear it's the same material minus our omm stuff and the questions seem to be better worded. This probably sounds silly considering I failed comlex but I figure I have nothing to lose if I take the usmle at this point. Idk what do you guys think? Another thing is, I don't think our school pulls us out of rotations and gives us time off strictly to study for it. I have no idea how I'll manage studying for this thing along with rotations ughhhhh. This seriously is the worst feeling ever. Any advice/words of encouragement would be helpful. Thanks and good luck everyone!
Schedule COMLEX whenever you think you'll feel ready, and then take a leave of absence the month of the exam. Sign up for the USMLE, but absolutely do not take it if your practice score are not consistently passing. You have a lot to lose if you fail it.

...that's what I'd do if I were in your situation.

That's tough news to hear, but my class (at a school that has always had a pretty decent pass rate) did terrible on Step 1. No idea what caused it, but plenty of the class had to sit for the exam again.

And now, years later, every I know who failed it made it to the next year.

Hi guys and gals, just wanted to post an update. I started Uworld this past Monday. Working on my 4th 46 question block (taking me forever to go through the questions and explanations AND take notes...but hopefully worth it when i review my notes later). So far I got 69%, 65%, and 67%. These are MUCH better scores than when I did them before the first time. And I don't remember ANY of these questions which is good! How is everyone else's progress???

Btw, I started SSRI meds three days ago and I FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON. :) Maybe its just the high of starting theses meds since it takes few weeks to completely feel good. But, I am happy to feel a difference already. I feel like I can think clearly now and my mind isn't always racing when I'm reading questions. And my anxiety is definitely decreasing! No longer am I agitated by the smallest things and I don't get completely flustered when I get a question wrong.

thanks for update-i am nearing the end of the DIT videos. i feel like they have helped me greatly-am doing usmle rx and averaging 68%. i also did half of an offline nbme and find the qs are more acheiveable bc i am focusing on eliminating why answers are wrong instead of just going to the right answer. i too am on an antidepressant (wellbutrin) and it's allowing me to focus more. after a few more days of videos, i plan on doing the next phase of the 12 wk dit program (reading FA/weak areas with other books and upping the amt of qs i do daily). i am trying to order pathoma but since i am in mexico i am having issues with paying for it with paypal as my billing and shipping addresses are not the same nor are they in the same country. when do you plan on taking your test? is there a deadline for you? good luck to all-chins up!

thanks for update-i am nearing the end of the DIT videos. i feel like they have helped me greatly-am doing usmle rx and averaging 68%. i also did half of an offline nbme and find the qs are more acheiveable bc i am focusing on eliminating why answers are wrong instead of just going to the right answer. i too am on an antidepressant (wellbutrin) and it's allowing me to focus more. after a few more days of videos, i plan on doing the next phase of the 12 wk dit program (reading FA/weak areas with other books and upping the amt of qs i do daily). i am trying to order pathoma but since i am in mexico i am having issues with paying for it with paypal as my billing and shipping addresses are not the same nor are they in the same country. when do you plan on taking your test? is there a deadline for you? good luck to all-chins up!

im retaking the exam on Oct 3! its coming up soon. i was going to do DIT in addition to kaplan videos, but decided to devote my time to thoroughly going through all of UWorld and First Aid before test time. good luck!

Hey glad to hear that things are looking up for you. I am half-way through Kaplan physiology at the moment, and then I will do Pathoma once that's done. I've finished the Kaplan lectures for the other subjects except for anatomy and pharm, which I am saving for the end because it seems like more memorization.

I've been doing Kaplan qbank, but I am going to switch to UWorld next week. I'm testing the first week of October.

P.S. Conrad Fischer is awesome!

Hey glad to hear that things are looking up for you. I am half-way through Kaplan physiology at the moment, and then I will do Pathoma once that's done. I've finished the Kaplan lectures for the other subjects except for anatomy and pharm, which I am saving for the end because it seems like more memorization.

I've been doing Kaplan qbank, but I am going to switch to UWorld next week. I'm testing the first week of October.

P.S. Conrad Fischer is awesome!

hah. Conrad Fischer is so wacky but I seem to remember everything he says!

hi everyone, just wanted to drop in a quick update. been doing Uworld since august 29th. so far have done 14 mixed blocks of 46 questions on tutor mode. my average so far is 63% ranging from scores of 58% to 69%, but mostly keep consistently getting a 63% on half the blocks. btw, actually enjoying doing questions since i have the knowledge to answer them. get so excited when i get questions rite! :laugh:

are these averages good?! hypothetically, if i end up finishing Uworld with a 63% average, what kind of Step 1 score can i expect? please let me know your thoughts. :confused:

you're doing pretty well. they talk about a (uw%)x2.3 + 83 correlation score!

what did you do since you're exam?