Failed Step1. Any other retakers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPathodifficle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out I failed Step1 on July 13th by a few points. Got taken out of my rotations by my medical school. I am required to take time off to study. I am retaking the test in October. Just wondering who else there is out there in my boat. Support is welcome! I can't believe this is happening to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi- glad to know I'm not the only one preparing to retake step 1. I took it later than the rest of my class and just got my score a couple of weeks ago... Trying to figure out if it's worth paying for an online course like Kaplan or Falcon or just studying on my own but with a more reasonable study schedule that works for me. Any advice??

For those of you feeling down, I think the best attitude you can take is that while it stinks to have to study all over again and retake this exam, we will all be better docs for having gone through this big set back and being able to rise above it...

Hi- glad to know I'm not the only one preparing to retake step 1. I took it later than the rest of my class and just got my score a couple of weeks ago... Trying to figure out if it's worth paying for an online course like Kaplan or Falcon or just studying on my own but with a more reasonable study schedule that works for me. Any advice??

For those of you feeling down, I think the best attitude you can take is that while it stinks to have to study all over again and retake this exam, we will all be better docs for having gone through this big set back and being able to rise above it...

Hey welcome to the club. I think the first step is doing some self-reflection on what worked and didn't work for you last time and then plan from there. I think going through a course would only help if your fundamentals are weak (like mine) or if you need structure to motivate you to study. Otherwise, if you just didn't have enough time to study last time or didn't get through enough questions/books/reading/etc, then make sure you do that this time.

The last time I prepped, I did FA+UW religiously b/c that was what other people said to do. But, by the time I finished FA+UW, I still didn't feel like I knew anything. I'm doing the Kaplan online lecture program now, and I think it's really working for me to get my fundamentals down.

So i got my score back a week ago and I failed by 2 points. I am glad to see this topic here so I know that I am not the only student going through this ordeal. I did UW + FA like everyone else 1st time around and now I do not know here to start. I have lost all hope and have no belief in myself. I still can't imagine that I failed :( On practice NBME I was scoring 218 ans 215. Don't know how I dropped 30+ points on the real thing.
Any and all input will be appreciated. what resources should I use know? USMLERx or kaplan qbank?
Good luck to everyone studying for this exam again. I hope all of us come out of this as winners.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey - I understand how terrible you feel. I personally felt the devastation after taking the exam...I think I got really bad luck with the questions on my exam because I literally cried for 6 hrs after the exam knowing I'd failed it... Just take some time to relax, and reflect on the things that you feel you didn't do right preparing for it the first time around and then plan a study schedule for yourself... Because of family obligations, I can't do the live 7 week prep courses that work for many people, so I think i'm going to do Kaplan videos...After reading many threads on this site, it seems that they've been helpful for some...I think a study buddy might help if you can find one.. I haven't found one yet, but I'm still looking... good luck & keep your chin up !

I failed step 1. I am scheduled to retake in 5 days but I don't feel prepared. At this point, if I take it as planned, I can graduate on time. If i delay it ANY longer, I will graduate later in the year.

Do you think it's worth it?

BTW, my UWorld averages are ranging from 50-65%. (Up from 40-50% during first study period). I know the inflation is around 10-15% the second time around a QBank.

What do you guys think?

im currently averaging a 62% so youre scaring me if you think youre not prepared.

Sry! Wasn't attempting to fearmonger..
I'm just concerned my averages are just inflated because I remember about 1/4 of the questions I do.

My friend was getting 60s on UWorld and passed (did well).. so gluck.

I failed step 1. I am scheduled to retake in 5 days but I don't feel prepared. At this point, if I take it as planned, I can graduate on time. If i delay it ANY longer, I will graduate later in the year.

Do you think it's worth it?

BTW, my UWorld averages are ranging from 50-65%. (Up from 40-50% during first study period). I know the inflation is around 10-15% the second time around a QBank.

What do you guys think?

hate giving advice on an internet forum...but you did say you don't feel prepared...so are you willing to risk having 2 retakes of step 1 on your record...just so you can graduate on time? Really worth it?

Think about it.

g/luck either way.

Hi everyone! I just finished ALL of UWorld with an average of 61%. Went through every question thoroughly and took notes on every question and explanation for the past month. I definitely feel more comfortable and more knowledgeable than the first time I took the Step 1!

I have my exam in 6 days. I plan to take a few NMBE exams. I know that people say 7 is best predictor so I am definitely doing that one. Which other two do you think I should take? I also want to be able to go through the answers. Please let me know everyone asap. Thanks!

hey drpatho, i'm in the same situation. i'm doing nbme 7 today. i think the other two good ones are 11 and 12. i did nbme 12 last time i studied for this, and i thought it was way too hard, so i think 11 will be the better test of the two. it's taking me almost the entire day to do and review nbme 7, so plan wisely.

also, are you going to do a final pass of FA before your test? i've been doing UW 200 questions per day, but haven't finished the entire bank yet :oops:. i'm planning to finish it by this weekend. i'm probably going to start my final pass tomorrow, since my test is next week as well. :scared:

hi everyone. i need some moral support. just took nmbe 11 and got a 205! :mad: i thought i did so much better. test is on monday. i feel so dumb and i studied so much for the last 2.5 months. theres no way i can push back the test or else i have to take a whole year off. and even if i do push it back, i dont know what else i could do. i suck.

hi everyone. i need some moral support. just took nmbe 11 and got a 205! :mad: i thought i did so much better. test is on monday. i feel so dumb and i studied so much for the last 2.5 months. theres no way i can push back the test or else i have to take a whole year off. and even if i do push it back, i dont know what else i could do. i suck.

i have a test in two weeks. this is my first attempt.
i too took nbme 11 and didn't do as well a week ago and felt down. i suggest that you look at the questions that you got wrong and analyze why you got them wrong. it could just well be too much stress and pressure on your shoulder. if it's pure knowledge issues from FA, i would suggest that you will study FA like crazy for the remaining days.

nbme 11 is known to be a hard test, so don't feel down. just press on brother.

i have a test in two weeks. this is my first attempt.
i too took nbme 11 and didn't do as well a week ago and felt down. i suggest that you look at the questions that you got wrong and analyze why you got them wrong. it could just well be too much stress and pressure on your shoulder. if it's pure knowledge issues from FA, i would suggest that you will study FA like crazy for the remaining days.

nbme 11 is known to be a hard test, so don't feel down. just press on brother.

i think its so weird that i got only 53 wrong out of 200. thats 73.5% correct! which is better than my 61% Uworld average. BUT my score of 205 is saddening. im trying to go through answers from different places on this forum. where did you go for answers? is there an excellent compilation somewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also had 46 wrong questions in nbme form 6 which corresponds to 77%, actually higher than my uw second round scores and I got only 214 points. shouldn't it be higher? does it correspond to a 214 in the real exam?

thank you everyone! i am DONE. i think it went way better than last time. thank you gals and guys for all the support. i hope i passed and even better if i did well! good luck to you all! now...finally time to enjoy myself!

I'd like your opinion if the material on the test was primarily in FA. Not "FA+UWorld," could the material be found in FA itself.

Anyway, congratulations. Time for you to shut down for awhile.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you could tell me when your school was notified of your failing grade. Did you find out from the score release online, or did your school notify you first? So do they get the failing score before the wednesday on the week your score will be released? Any insight would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you could tell me when your school was notified of your failing grade. Did you find out from the score release online, or did your school notify you first? So do they get the failing score before the wednesday on the week your score will be released? Any insight would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks

You get an email on Wednesday from the NBME around noon if you're on the east coast, or 9 am if you're on the west coast telling you that your score is available online. Then you log into the NBME website and you can check your score there.

The dean didn't call me about my failing score until the afternoon, maybe around 2 hours after scores were released.

hi everyone! i hope everyone here is doing well. i have a great update about me. i got my retake step 1 score and I PASSED with a score of 222!!! i am so happy and proud of myself to go from failing to this score. :) i feel like i conquered the impossible. this score boosted my confidence and self-esteem. not sure what residency i want to go in, but hopefully this score will open many more doors for me. :oops: keep me updated on how all of you are doing. you CAN do it!

hi everyone! i hope everyone here is doing well. i have a great update about me. i got my retake step 1 score and I PASSED with a score of 222!!! i am so happy and proud of myself to go from failing to this score. :) i feel like i conquered the impossible. this score boosted my confidence and self-esteem. not sure what residency i want to go in, but hopefully this score will open many more doors for me. :oops: keep me updated on how all of you are doing. you CAN do it!

Congrats man , great news .. :thumbup:

very nice score dr path, you came from a 202 in your last nbme to an 222 if I'm not mistaken, that's great and fills me with hope for at least an improvement of 5 points in the real thing.
I hope 230 is enough for an european img to get residence in at least a good community hospital. im putting so much into this

very nice score dr path, you came from a 202 in your last nbme to an 222 if I'm not mistaken, that's great and fills me with hope for at least an improvement of 5 points in the real thing.
I hope 230 is enough for an european img to get residence in at least a good community hospital. im putting so much into this

its such a huge jump from my last and only nmbe practice test i took. i was in complete shock when i saw my score and jumping up and down with joy! i can tell you that ontop of feeling like i knew more than last time, i was so much more calm taking the test! and i think that definitely made a huge difference. i went in not being scared of this monster exam.

what did you study from your last (202) nbme to you exam date?

i reviewed all of First Aid (which i hadn't done since my last retake). i also reviewed 120 pages (240 if you count front and back) of notes i took from Uworld questions. i did this all within 4 days after that nmbe. it was an excellent review of evertything important. you took the test already rite? when do you get your score?!

its such a huge jump from my last and only nmbe practice test i took. i was in complete shock when i saw my score and jumping up and down with joy! i can tell you that ontop of feeling like i knew more than last time, i was so much more calm taking the test! and i think that definitely made a huge difference. i went in not being scared of this monster exam.

GREAT JOB!!:D
:highfive:

Congrats on not just passing it, but getting a great score!

You mentioned FA was helpful along with your UW notes. My exam is in about 2 weeks and I'm only half way done with UW. What do you suggest for this last stretch? Is it worth trying to finish UW? I haven't taken too many notes on it and I got a 206 on UWSA 1 and am taking NBME #12 in a few days.

Congrats on not just passing it, but getting a great score!

You mentioned FA was helpful along with your UW notes. My exam is in about 2 weeks and I'm only half way done with UW. What do you suggest for this last stretch? Is it worth trying to finish UW? I haven't taken too many notes on it and I got a 206 on UWSA 1 and am taking NBME #12 in a few days.

i think it would totally be worth your while to go through as much UW as possible. it was so helpful for me.

hey pdiff congrats on your score-what an accomplishment! i am taking my test nov 22-doing a last pass of DIT along w/ Rx qs. feel more prepared-hoping it works out. good luck to everyone taking it soon or those who just took it!

Hi guys,
I am planning to retake Step 1. I started using Pathoma, DIT/FA and Uworld for preparation. Are there any other resources you guys would recommend? Should I also go over USMLE Rx questions?

Missed passing as well by a few points. But realized my biggest mistake was that I hadn't gone through enough questions. Been sticking to Uworld, and trying to go through the Qbook by FA people as well. Is USMLE Rx worth my time as well? What else should I cover? Btw anyone know of a studying partner that might be taking the Step 1 around end of February, need some motivation to study.....

Missed passing as well by a few points. But realized my biggest mistake was that I hadn't gone through enough questions. Been sticking to Uworld, and trying to go through the Qbook by FA people as well. Is USMLE Rx worth my time as well? What else should I cover? Btw anyone know of a studying partner that might be taking the Step 1 around end of February, need some motivation to study.....
I have heard good things about Kaplan as well as USMLERx recently.
Other suggestions are Pathoma (a must) & Gunner training (if you have time)

Would it be better to sign up for a program like PASS to prepare for the step the second time?

failing it may mean you are lacking some basic fundamentals, and first aid's job is not to teach you that. i would look into kaplan medessentials and spend the rest of the time looking at that, first aid, and uworld.

failing it may mean you are lacking some basic fundamentals, and first aid's job is not to teach you that. i would look into kaplan medessentials and spend the rest of the time looking at that, first aid, and uworld.

Jesus are you even capable of making a single post without trying to sell that book?

Medessental is just another first aid isn't it? I'm just concerned studying on my own didn't cut it the first time that maybe some more structure is needed. How much time do u all think is good to put into preparing again? I know the pass program is 4 wks plus 2 weeks review ? I don't want to rush but I wanna be more effective this time.