Failing COMLEX Level I twice and Matching Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I was just curious to know what are the chances of matching Psych in an AOA residency if you fail COMLEX I twice and pass upon third attempt and pass Level 2 and everything else. How competitive are the programs in the midwest and, can you still match in a rural location? Because I thought several programs go unfilled?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a chance? Possibly. I think there are several factors to that. 1) Is there a reason that you can explain why you failed it twice and passed on the third attempt? 2) Did you score well the third time around and on level 2? 3) Did you honor your clerkships? Basic science courses? 4) Do you have strong letters of recommendation, espec in the field? 5) Have you done audition rotations at places that you are aiming to match? 6) Have you done any research/extra cirics/ community service (probably not terribly important but may be a factor)?

The point I'm getting at is there are a lot of factors to this process. Also, while spots do go unfilled, a program may choose not to rank an applicant. Also, I have heard that the unfilled slots are dwindling.

I can't imagine the DO programs are too terribly competitive. A lot of them are newer. Some of them pay pretty poorly. Others have a bad call schedule. Others are very unique in the sense that there either all of the VA or all in a prison system. The data I saw from a couple years ago showed pretty poor scores overall and something like 66% of all people matching in the psych had failed COMLEX PE.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not sure how competitive the programs are but it's good to know I still have a chance at matching.

Anymore feedback based on current applicants or new interns/residents that had failed COMLEX?

Last edited:
You applying to psych and FM? A quick glance at your old threads makes it look like you were considerimg anesthesia and being a pharmacist before.

The reason I bring this up is that I wonder how you convince a program that you are actually interested in their specialty and not just choosing the least competitive fields because you cant match in anything else.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not sure how competitive the programs are but it's good to know I still have a chance at matching.

Anymore feedback based on current applicants or new interns/residents that had failed COMLEX?

Concentrate on your step 2s. Then apply broadly for AOA psych. Not necessarily because you need to apply broadly but because there is a HUGE variance in AOA psych programs. When the merger takes place I wouldn't be surprised if a large chunk of these had to be chopped.

I do know of a person who failed COMLEX I (their only fail) and still managed to match into a solid ACGME psychiatry residency. Two failures makes it seem like less of an isolated issue and I know my current program would have major reservations about taking an applicant with that record. Still, it never hurts to apply and my advice would be to apply to as many mid to low tier ACGME programs as you can afford.

I do know of a person who failed COMLEX I (their only fail) and still managed to match into a solid ACGME psychiatry residency. Two failures makes it seem like less of an isolated issue and I know my current program would have major reservations about taking an applicant with that record. Still, it never hurts to apply and my advice would be to apply to as many mid to low tier ACGME programs as you can afford.

I assumed the OP knew this and why he specifically asked about AOA programs. With that in mind it wouldn't hurt to interview at some lower tier acgme programs, though I wouldn't skip the AOA match. I'm pretty neurotic and probably wouldn't even pass the chance to scramble into a halfway decent AOA program right after the AOA match, if I was in the OP'S shoes.

Reactions: 1 user
I assumed the OP knew this and why he specifically asked about AOA programs. With that in mind it wouldn't hurt to interview at some lower tier acgme programs, though I wouldn't skip the AOA match. I'm pretty neurotic and probably wouldn't even pass the chance to scramble into a halfway decent AOA program right after the AOA match, if I was in the OP'S shoes.

Yes I assumed ACGME programs would not even look at me because my of my COMLEX failures and no USMLE scores. My friend was considering anesthesia but I've always wanted to do FM or Psych.

Also I think it's weird how 67% failed COMLEX level 2 according to the 2012 GME report? Is that true?

I know of an MD resident who failed step 2 CK twice, then to make up for it studied and passed step 3 before applying to psych programs. He got in at a fairly decent place. A little different than your situation, but there's still hope for you.

I PASSED AND DID WELL!!!! THANK GOD!
Congratulations, that's one less thing to worry about! I think the best advice for getting an AOA spot is to do audition rotations. My advisers have all made a point to emphasize doing as many as I could fit in during late third year/early 4th year to maximize chances for interviews, since some residencies will only interview people who rotated. There are also a couple programs I know of that have taken many residents with COMLEX failures, and often won't fill until after the ACGME match. Good luck!

Why does the DO world have such a raging lust for auditions? Am I only the only tired of hearing the A-word thrown around the clerkship circuit? To think of the quality students missed by programs with this seemingly insecure approach. /mini-rant

Disclaimer: I say this in reference to those AOA programs who likely only take those students who rotate at their programs. It may be a bit more lax in psych, so maybe it's less of a factor.

Definitely apply to mid/low tier ACGME programs too.