Failing PE 2nd time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medet123

Reaction score
Took my PE several months ago and was shocked to find out that I failed the Biomedical/bio mechanical section, never failed anything previously and could't figure out what have done wrong, came out of exam feeling pretty confident. I've retaken recently but was super nervous during my exam, as didn't feel was doing things much different/better than the retake, I was barely able to focus, kept on running out of time and made some huge mistakes. I came out feeling as if I have bombed it.
My PE isn't on my transcript as didn't release it. Assuming I failed a 2nd time would programs still rank me without a PE score on my transcript ? ( I have about 10- 15 interviews )

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately nowadays they won’t rank you without getting the passing PE score released to them. If you can take it again before rank list deadline then let them know when to expect your scores

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Unfortunately nowadays they won’t rank you without getting the passing PE score released to them. If you can take it again before rank list deadline then let them know when to expect your scores

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
My score comes back right before rank list, so what can I do if it's a fail? Very stressful..

My score comes back right before rank list, so what can I do if it's a fail? Very stressful..
Not tell anyone, see if you match somewhere. There's no NRMP requirement to pass PE prior to ranking, so this is completely up to programs.

If you don't pass, SOAP is unlikely to yield a match for you. Any program to which you apply, including any programs that you may have ranked and have open spots (which would mean that they didn't rank you), will get your updated COMLEX report with the PE fails on it. But SOAP is free, so you might as well try.

Then you can try to scramble into open AOA spots.

Last, and perhaps most importantly, you need to come up with a plan to pass PE. Just taking it again seems like a bad idea. You'll need a prep course, or intensive work at your medical school.

If you do fail again, there would be a reasonable chance that you won't get a spot at all -- no one will consider you until you pass, and by the time you take a prep course, retake the exam, and get a passing result, all spots are full. In that case, you'll need a plan for a gap year while you continue to hunt for off cycle open spots.

Not tell anyone, see if you match somewhere. There's no NRMP requirement to pass PE prior to ranking, so this is completely up to programs.

If you don't pass, SOAP is unlikely to yield a match for you. Any program to which you apply, including any programs that you may have ranked and have open spots (which would mean that they didn't rank you), will get your updated COMLEX report with the PE fails on it. But SOAP is free, so you might as well try.

Then you can try to scramble into open AOA spots.

Last, and perhaps most importantly, you need to come up with a plan to pass PE. Just taking it again seems like a bad idea. You'll need a prep course, or intensive work at your medical school.

If you do fail again, there would be a reasonable chance that you won't get a spot at all -- no one will consider you until you pass, and by the time you take a prep course, retake the exam, and get a passing result, all spots are full. In that case, you'll need a plan for a gap year while you continue to hunt for off cycle open spots.
Thanks so much @aProgDirector , how likely would it be though for programs to rank without a PE?

I'm confused how would programs by SOAP automatically get all scores if they're not released?

Sent using Tapatalk

I have no idea how likely it is. It's not something that's been measured in any survey of PD's that I've seen, and likely varies widely. It's also completely out of your control at the moment, so although it's hard to do, you might as well focus on things that are under your control.

If you apply in SOAP, those will be new applications. When you apply to a new program, an updated COMLEX report will be sent. It will include all results as-of the date of the application. You could of course not release your COMLEX score report at all when you apply in SOAP -- and in that case, you will certainly get no interviews due to an incomplete application.

I have no idea how likely it is. It's not something that's been measured in any survey of PD's that I've seen, and likely varies widely. It's also completely out of your control at the moment, so although it's hard to do, you might as well focus on things that are under your control.

If you apply in SOAP, those will be new applications. When you apply to a new program, an updated COMLEX report will be sent. It will include all results as-of the date of the application. You could of course not release your COMLEX score report at all when you apply in SOAP -- and in that case, you will certainly get no interviews due to an incomplete application.
Passed!
I'm assuming better to update my transcript?
Or send out manually to places?
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There's no "right" answer.

If you don't release, some programs might not rank you without an updated transcript showing a pass PE. Other programs won't care, and will rank you anyway.

If you do release, some programs might not rank you because of the initial fail. Other programs won't care, will rank you anyway.

No way to tell how many programs fall into each option.

Reactions: 1 user
There's no "right" answer.

If you don't release, some programs might not rank you without an updated transcript showing a pass PE. Other programs won't care, and will rank you anyway.

If you do release, some programs might not rank you because of the initial fail. Other programs won't care, will rank you anyway.

No way to tell how many programs fall into each option.
Thanks ended up releasing but do I need to notify programs individually or they get some notification/ update?

Thanks ended up releasing but do I need to notify programs individually or they get some notification/ update?
If they care, they will check your file and it will be updated. Don't email to bring to their attention that you failed it the first time.

Reactions: 2 users
If they care, they will check your file and it will be updated. Don't email to bring to their attention that you failed it the first time.
Ok thanks but is it possible for programs that do care and didn't see it at the time , not rank me as they assumed I didn't have it based on what they saw at the time?

Ok thanks but is it possible for programs that do care and didn't see it at the time , not rank me as they assumed I didn't have it based on what they saw at the time?
Yes. But you don’t know which, if any, programs will do that and you don’t really want to spam all of your programs about this.

Yes. But you don’t know which, if any, programs will do that and you don’t really want to spam all of your programs about this.
Thanks, Would you say though to update via email those that asked during interview?

This! I wouldn't emails programs telling them. Would update your transcript and release it so they are aware though

This! I wouldn't emails programs telling them. Would update your transcript and release it so they are aware though
Thanks!
But for places that have asked for it during interview you wouldn't as well email updating them that I've passed all my boards etc. ?

Thanks!
But for places that have asked for it during interview you wouldn't as well email updating them that I've passed all my boards etc. ?

Have they specifically emailed you? I guess if they specifically emailed you perhaps. But I woudn't just advertise that you passed and previously you failed

Have they specifically emailed you? I guess if they specifically emailed you perhaps. But I woudn't just advertise that you passed and previously you failed
A few asked for it during interview, and it seems the interviewers made a note about it, would I update those?

One has reached out for it before it came back as they don't rank without so I told them.

A few asked for it during interview, and it seems the interviewers made a note about it, would I update those?

One has reached out for it before it came back as they don't rank without so I told them.

There is no right answer I would say, but I would contact programs that specifically contacted you or that made notes

Yes. How many times do I have to say it?
Thanks sorry got confused was answering piebaldi, as wasn't sure if he was saying not to so was clarifying what he meant, but it's all good now. Thanks again gutonc for your input!

If a program specifically asked, then yes, answer the question they asked you is appropriate.
Would emailing the PC suffice or would want to CC the PD as well ( have been only to the PC). Thanks