family med interview time frame

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marlem66

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - I'm a 3rd year student who is currently debating between family med and psychiatry. At any rate, I'm filling out my 4th year schedule right now and was just wondering when I should schedule time off for interviews. I spoke to a few people that matched into psych, and they said the bulk of their interviews were in December. I'm wondering - for those of you who interviewed for family med this year, when were the bulk of your interviews?

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a couple in October, none in November, and the rest in December. I wanted to be done with interviews before Christmas so I planned it this way.

I took the month of December off for interviews, and it worked out well. Depending on where you are going you have to be careful of the weather (I had to alter some travel plans due to snow---luckily no missed interviews).

My interviews ranged from late October to early January. It's sort of flexible, you can go whenever you want. I had most interviews in late December/early January.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did all of mine in November. December is more of prime interview time. Basically, November is earlyish and January is lateish. I think you will find little variation between any of the regular-match specialties as far as interview timing.

almost all of my interviews - even the ones planned in early december - were in mid to late january... but then again, i applied a little late.

get your ERAS in as soon as possible... don't delay that while you think about your essay... complete the CAF immediately! just my 2 cents :)

i agree with getting your ERAS in early. i submitted on the first possible day....actually had one interview within 24 hours and had most of my interviews within a week or two. if you submit early, you should have your pick of interview dates. (disclaimer: my experience is only as a US senior)

I scheduled 10 interviews over a 12 week period... Never more than one per week. The rotations I had during that time were all very understanding and allowed me to take time off for interviews.

This way I didn't have to take any vacation time (saved it all for the very end).