Family Medicine Physician and Resident Perspectives on OTC Hearing Aids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shredmaster7023

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m a medical student in Los Angeles, California, and I am working on an IRB-approved research project to help improve hearing care! I have a short 5-10 minute RedCap survey regarding primary care physicians’ perspectives and experiences (or lack thereof) with over-the-counter hearing aids. Our study would greatly benefit from your participation! We need less than 20 more responses before we are finished with data collection so your participation would be immensely helpful!

Here is the link: Primary Care Providers and Over-The-Counter (OTC) Hearing Aid Survey

Here is some more information on the study if interested:

As it stands, hearing aid utilization for those who may benefit from hearing aids is extremely low. The expansion of over-the-counter (OTC) hearing aids has been suggested as a strategy to address some of the barriers that may contribute to low hearing aid utilization, and in August of 2022, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a final rule to establish a new category of over-the-counter (OTC) hearing aids to assure their safety and effectiveness. Given that primary care physicians often serve as patients’ initial contact with the healthcare system and offer continuous care throughout patients’ lifetimes, it is probable that patients who may benefit from OTC hearing aids may interact with a primary care physician. However, the impact of OTC hearing aids in the primary care setting and the perspectives on them from primary care physicians is currently unknown. Thus, our team is aiming to study the practice patterns, experiences, knowledge, and perceived roles of primary care physicians regarding OTC hearing aids.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

**IRB approval is attached. Names shaded for privacy.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 7.00.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 7.00.55 PM.png
    342.1 KB · Views: 25
I don't even fill out surveys for my own hospital system....

Reactions: 1 user