Family Medicine - 1st 3rd Year Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docjohn101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What book is good for the family medicine shelf if its my first rotation of 3rd year?

I hear its a mix of internal medicine, obgyn, peds. etc and since I wont have any exposure to any other fields (b/c its my first rotation), what is the best way to study for this shelf?

Members don't see this ad.

Uworld on random and a board review book or secrets (if you can get through the whole thing)

I scored in the 99th percentile on the shelf. I read step up to step 2 cover to cover. I did every question in the bratton's question book and took notes. I also read case files - I think this was the best book in the series.

Members don't see this ad :)
I scored in the 99th percentile on the shelf. I read step up to step 2 cover to cover. I did every question in the bratton's question book and took notes. I also read case files - I think this was the best book in the series.

Was FM your first rotation?

We have two books that are required reading :( Dubin and Essentials of FM.

I'm going to bomb the shelf.

Family is my first third year rotation too!

Nothing to add about books, just showing some solidarity

My plan right now is to read Case Files Family Medicine and do the AAFP board review questions that they offer for free.

Has anyone gotten above 80% on the family medicine shelf with this method?

Also, does anyone know how many total questions or total quizzes there are in the AAFP site?

Also, if more people could post the sources they used for this shelf and their score and what rotations they had prior to family medicine that would be great...

Last edited:
We have two books that are required reading :( Dubin and Essentials of FM.

I'm going to bomb the shelf.

What do you mean by required? As long as you know the material, I don't think they'd care where you got it.

What do you mean by required? As long as you know the material, I don't think they'd care where you got it.
word to this. That essentials of Family medicine book is monstrous, DO NOT read that as a third year only use it as a reference.

bump...can people post their score for the famliy medicine shelf,

when their family medicine rotations was (first, second, third, etc.),

what they had before family medicine shelf if it was not their first rotation, and

what books (review books, reference books, questions books, etc.) they used?

I know its a lot of questions, but I'm freaking out because this is my first rotation, and I have no idea how to approach studying for this exam. I have little under 4 weeks to study for this exam.

No. Absurdly, our midterm and "final" are taken directly from Essentials and Dubin. Our FM course director knows more about what we should know in FM than the NBME :idea:

The shelf (at least this past year) was just "practice." Think that next year, the shelf will be integrated into our grade somehow, but I believe that we're still required to read that monstrosity of a book. Fortunately, there are summary notes (about 50 pages) on the book floating about. I think I'm going to do those + Case Files + Blueprints.

I think the best case files was for FM. Having it first sucks since it's such a smattering of everything else.

The Ambulatory section of SU2M was good, too. Then make sure you read about each of your patients conditions. You'll see the majority of what you'll be tested on walk through the door. Do random UW, etc.

I think the best case files was for FM. Having it first sucks since it's such a smattering of everything else.

The Ambulatory section of SU2M was good, too. Then make sure you read about each of your patients conditions. You'll see the majority of what you'll be tested on walk through the door. Do random UW, etc.

Thanks for the response. I'm reading case files right now. It seems very good.

I did a PSF in path, so I'm a bit rusty on everything; hence why I wanted to do FM out of the gate. I'm also not interested in it as a career, so I wanted to use it see a wide range of patients before hitting IM.