Family Medicine Starting Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

step2cspass

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the average pay for family medicine docs in say; Vancouver or Toronto area? Starting salary; 40-50 hours, clinic only? The average in most US cities is in the 150-170k range.

Members don't see this ad.

any canadian residents/attendings?! please chime in....

Way too broad of a question.

Clinic can include things like procedures, ob etc. On average, based on a few numbers thrown around on the sunshine list (ontario), I've seen anywhere from $150-$290K. Again, this doesn't factor in type of practice, hours, procedures etc.

Also, I believe these numbers are before taxes and overhead.

Members don't see this ad :)
well i don't want to speak in extremes; but just a general range:

for example, in the usa:

family medicine outpatient only- salaried- $150-170k starting
family medicine urgent care- $170-200k starting
family medicine hospitalist- $180-220k starting

this is all based on average hours worked ~40-45 hours.........

so, in canada, if you are working 40-45 hours.....what is the range for total take-home salary after overhead?

the difference it seems to me is that the overhead in canada appears to be much lower than the us; which is around ~50%.........overall; gross billings in the usa average ~500k for a family medicine; but that does not equate to collections; collections are much less; and then you subtract overhead.......

are canada salaries similar? and the canadian salaries are in canadian dollar which would need to be 10-20% higher due to the overall cost of living in canada.....

well i don't want to speak in extremes; but just a general range:

for example, in the usa:

family medicine outpatient only- salaried- $150-170k starting
family medicine urgent care- $170-200k starting
family medicine hospitalist- $180-220k starting

this is all based on average hours worked ~40-45 hours.........

so, in canada, if you are working 40-45 hours.....what is the range for total take-home salary after overhead?

the difference it seems to me is that the overhead in canada appears to be much lower than the us; which is around ~50%.........overall; gross billings in the usa average ~500k for a family medicine; but that does not equate to collections; collections are much less; and then you subtract overhead.......

are canada salaries similar? and the canadian salaries are in canadian dollar which would need to be 10-20% higher due to the overall cost of living in canada.....

I would think the net income is probably less since as you mentioned cost of living is higher, mostly due to the enormous amounts of tax you pay.

But this can be offset slightly if you work in rural areas where the government reimburses quite well (even though you're taxed at a 40% rate).

Have a look at the Ontario sunshine list, its got averages like you wanted.