Fantasy Plan B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naruhodo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there's a lot of nerves night now from people with no or few interviews (and that is totally reasonable), but I wanted to see if we could have a little fun discussing our dreams of what we'd do if medicine were not an option. Yes, I hear you folks that will say, "But I have always only wanted to be a doctor since I was 2!" and if so, maybe this game is not for you. These things don't have to be realistic - since most likely the majority of us would opt to do whatever seemed like the best option to support ourselves and our families - but an imaginary plan if you had no responsibilities and money weren't a factor.

I'll go first: At the low points of grad school I would reflect on my love of teaching, travel, and working with individuals with mental/physical differences and try to come up with a plan of what I could do even if I never received my PhD. The plan was this: I would move to Micronesia where I would teach science and math to deaf students using American Sign Language (believe it or not this is a real thing, google Deaf WorldTeach). Now there are at least two major things that make this a fantasy. Although I can get by conversationally with ASL I am nowhere near fluent and have no business teaching in this language. Also, my incredibly wonderful life partner was never on board for moving to Micronesia. However, thank goodness I eventually earned the degree, and things have gone pretty great since then, but the fantasy was a zen place for me on late nights alone in the lab. I even told a few people about it, mostly because it was fun to see their response when they asked about my post-PhD plans and clearly expected me to say pursue a postdoc like 90% of all grads. (For the record, I am now a postdoc and not a teacher in Micronesia. Sigh...)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Gonzo journalist with nothing but a camera phone and a canteen of water.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since we are talking about fantasies here, I would like to be Dan Bilzerian A.K.A the king of Instagram.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I just wanna be a guy that makes funny insta memes like **** jerry.

Fighter pilot

Hi all,

I know there's a lot of nerves night now from people with no or few interviews (and that is totally reasonable), but I wanted to see if we could have a little fun discussing our dreams of what we'd do if medicine were not an option. Yes, I hear you folks that will say, "But I have always only wanted to be a doctor since I was 2!" and if so, maybe this game is not for you. These things don't have to be realistic - since most likely the majority of us would opt to do whatever seemed like the best option to support ourselves and our families - but an imaginary plan if you had no responsibilities and money weren't a factor.

I'll go first: At the low points of grad school I would reflect on my love of teaching, travel, and working with individuals with mental/physical differences and try to come up with a plan of what I could do even if I never received my PhD. The plan was this: I would move to Micronesia where I would teach science and math to deaf students using American Sign Language (believe it or not this is a real thing, google Deaf WorldTeach). Now there are at least two major things that make this a fantasy. Although I can get by conversationally with ASL I am nowhere near fluent and have no business teaching in this language. Also, my incredibly wonderful life partner was never on board for moving to Micronesia. However, thank goodness I eventually earned the degree, and things have gone pretty great since then, but the fantasy was a zen place for me on late nights alone in the lab. I even told a few people about it, mostly because it was fun to see their response when they asked about my post-PhD plans and clearly expected me to say pursue a postdoc like 90% of all grads. (For the record, I am now a postdoc and not a teacher in Micronesia. Sigh...)

A beauty/fashion youtuber! Or, I should clarify - a full-time youtuber.

Suddenly, I feel so vulnerable. I feel like my interest is so not typical for pre-meds, lol..

I would want to be an entrepreneur and own different companies throughout the world. Maybe a non-profit in the mix. But I would wanna slowly sell it all until I was 70 and have my family for the next 200 years live on my success alone (not counting using any of my money to invest.)

Either that or get my PhD in Cancer Biology and cure cancer.

Fighter pilot
That was my first dream job, but I was permanently disqualified because of colorblindness :( At least my parents let me hold on to that dream until I was 14 when they told me the truth.

That was my first dream job, but I was permanently disqualified because of colorblindness :( At least my parents let me hold on to that dream until I was 14 when they told me the truth.
The death of my first dog, a golden retriever, comes up when I read this post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Book jacket designer/illustrator.

I would be a successful TV show creator. I love TV shows way too much.

Book editor, getting paid to read fiction and tell the publishing company whether to buy the manuscript

Reactions: 1 user
On TV, no matter how I do it.

Stand up comic.

I would join the navy, become a helicopter pilot then retire and spend the rest of my days giving surfing lessons on a small resort island in the pacific.

Get paid a lot of money to give my opinion on things

I've always dreamed of being able to shoot straight into the sky and fly like Superman.

Maybe VR will get good enough to allow this one day.