FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agcmd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post here.
I have been quietly observing sdn forum and seriously you all are amazing and have helped me during my usmle days. So thank you.

I am an FMG. YOG 2015 with 1 year mandatory service in my country so finished all in 2016. Aiming for general surgery and IM.
Took Step I in 2017: 225
Took Step II in 2017: 242
Step II CS in 2017: pass all first attempt

Research: none (one little research during med school days with no pubs so i think it doesnt count)
USCE: would do some gen surg externships and IM ones. Expecting a few LORS from them. Would apply to several univ observership programs if accepted.

Due to some reasons, geographically restricted to some states. I have looked it up and ended with around 30ish community and univ-affiliated programs and 60ish IM programs (community and univ-affiliated programs). how good are my chances for next match cycle? Thanks for helpful reply.

Members don't see this ad.

First post here.
I have been quietly observing sdn forum and seriously you all are amazing and have helped me during my usmle days. So thank you.

I am an FMG. YOG 2015 with 1 year mandatory service in my country so finished all in 2016. Aiming for general surgery and IM.
Took Step I in 2017: 225
Took Step II in 2017: 242
Step II CS in 2017: pass all first attempt

Research: none (one little research during med school days with no pubs so i think it doesnt count)
USCE: would do some gen surg externships and IM ones. Expecting a few LORS from them. Would apply to several univ observership programs if accepted.

Due to some reasons, geographically restricted to some states. I have looked it up and ended with around 30ish community and univ-affiliated programs and 60ish IM programs (community and univ-affiliated programs). how good are my chances for next match cycle? Thanks for helpful reply.

If you really want to train in the US, you'll need to expand your list.

Reactions: 1 user
What've you been doing since 2016? Hopefully something clinical?

Assuming you have been doing clinical work, honestly, I think you should also apply to FM. With your scores, gen surg and IM are not impossible, but unless there is something outstanding somewhere else on your app I think you seem pretty average, which is a scary place to be.

In 2016, 236 and 241 were the step 1 and step 2 scores of non-us IMGs who matched into IM. For general surgery its even higher: 242 and 245. BUT given that DO and MD residencies are merging soon, it may be possible that some more programs open up for MD applicants. I think your best bet is to do a few observerships, possibly in the hospitals where you'd like to get matched. Keep in mind that a lot of IMGs entering into general surgery residency typically have surgical experience in there home country. It may be easier for you to match with IM because your step 2 score is closer to the average.

Have you considered the IM/Peds combined residency programs? You get to be board certified in IM and pediatrics and the step 1 and step 2 scores are much lower: 229 and 238... Its usually overlooked by a lot people

Reactions: 1 user

yeah i would need to i guess. i would look it up again. esp i need visa sponsor *sigh

What've you been doing since 2016? Hopefully something clinical?

Assuming you have been doing clinical work, honestly, I think you should also apply to FM. With your scores, gen surg and IM are not impossible, but unless there is something outstanding somewhere else on your app I think you seem pretty average, which is a scary place to be.

i had a full time job in a private hospital for a whole year (until this April 2018 but i had to resign as i need to work on my USCE) as a GP in my country. So i studied for usmle while working full time. I worked in the ER for the last 4 months as a doctor. Nothing outstanding alas. But i hope to match somewhere.

In 2016, 236 and 241 were the step 1 and step 2 scores of non-us IMGs who matched into IM. For general surgery its even higher: 242 and 245. BUT given that DO and MD residencies are merging soon, it may be possible that some more programs open up for MD applicants. I think your best bet is to do a few observerships, possibly in the hospitals where you'd like to get matched. Keep in mind that a lot of IMGs entering into general surgery residency typically have surgical experience in there home country. It may be easier for you to match with IM because your step 2 score is closer to the average.

Have you considered the IM/Peds combined residency programs? You get to be board certified in IM and pediatrics and the step 1 and step 2 scores are much lower: 229 and 238... Its usually overlooked by a lot people

yes thank you for your suggestion.. I think i still will give gen surg a shot and internal medicine too since i am interested in cardiology as well. Tough choices i know. I have 2 months hands on in surgery and 1 month hands on in internal medicine upcoming may. I also secured an observership in a community hospital. So i would try harder.

I created the list of possible programs, the ones that are within my credentials reach.. So list shortens into around 30 programs for gen surg and 60ish for internal medicine.. haha. I crossed out the ones who dont sponsor visas and obviously the top ones got crossed out immediately. So i aim for community ones. I made the list with the help of freida so i dont put the ones with higher cutoff score in my list and their average applicant who matched there with higher scores also got crossed out. is that a bad move? it shortens my list for a considerable amount. But i guess 17 states are indeed narrow.. I would try to look in more states. Thanks.

I created the list of possible programs, the ones that are within my credentials reach.. So list shortens into around 30 programs for gen surg and 60ish for internal medicine.. haha. I crossed out the ones who dont sponsor visas and obviously the top ones got crossed out immediately. So i aim for community ones. I made the list with the help of freida so i dont put the ones with higher cutoff score in my list and their average applicant who matched there with higher scores also got crossed out. is that a bad move? it shortens my list for a considerable amount. But i guess 17 states are indeed narrow.. I would try to look in more states. Thanks.

You need to consider and evaluate every program that has a chance of taking you. So you should consider all 50 states.

Reactions: 1 users